Inflating tires 100 years ago

mrcvs

Hand pump to go. Simply mount on your runningboard.

Now, I like that! I tend to appreciate vintage stuff more than anything, so that is right up my alley. Not much for plastic and junk with the dreaded "Made in China" label.

quite a number of years ago I got a Sears oiless compressor from a old neighbor in SoCal... probably 1967 (or earlier). has an open crankcase. but it only pressures to 44 psi . 25 years ago I bought a 5 hp 220 V 20 gallon compressor American-made debliss. both still work fine.

as far as pressuring... as long as you can reach the pressure... doesn't matter what compressor.

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

I consider my air compressor the most used and versatile tool in my shop. If it can be air-powered I have the tool. 

I guess, I could be called a tool junkie. 

Me too.  I would be lost without a good compressor.

It is extremely versatile.

Just try to rebuild a carb and blowing out the passages with a drinking straw.  :-(  :(

Been there, done that, and never plan to do it again.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Fairly common by the mid-1930's in rural Missouri for farmers or shops to have an older engine with a split manifold and two-barrel carb where half the engine ran the engine, and the other half of the engine was a compressor. The two barrel was replaced by a one barrel for the engine, and a filter was placed on the other half of the intake carb attachment.

As for the manual air pumps, leather washers were available at the hardware store, and easy to replace. I have replaced more than one.

One comment on modern tools: it only takes one trip to the emergency room to "unsave" all the money "saved" on cheap tools. Better tools that are used and in well-cared-for condition are a much better buy.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Own a good air compressor or work to hard.  My air tool rack holds 21 hand air tools.  Then there are several sizes of sand blasters and bead cabinets, framing & brad nail guns, etc,etc.  Why?  Because there is more to do with air pressure than fill my 72 pneumatic tires.

I even keep a small $39 Harbor Freight one in my wife's garage for small projects at the house,  An as a matter of fact it stays pressurized 24/7/365, ready for action, has for 5+ years.  Quality?  I'd say yes for $39, it is great.