Equipment Failure

Curti

This accident is a result of the V12 Auburn vibrating so violently that it caused the owner to loose control and veer into oncoming traffic and have a 18 wheeler drive over the the left rear.  Fortunately, the driver was alone and he made it with only minor scrapes.   

post-97611-0-04219900-1448546100_thumb.j

post-97611-0-88739600-1448546101_thumb.j

post-97611-0-97708300-1448546104_thumb.j

post-97611-0-55223900-1448546107_thumb.j

post-97611-0-97114700-1448546110_thumb.j

post-97611-0-90596700-1448546115_thumb.j

post-97611-0-21066000-1448546118_thumb.j

While it's sad to see what had apparently been a beautiful car destroyed in a traffic crash, it's always good to find out that there were no serious injuries involved.  Did this crash occur in Wisconsin?  What was vibrating, and did it occur suddenly or had it been getting worse over time?

Cheers,

Grog

What was the cause of vibration. The car had to be driven before this accident. Did something break to cause the vibration issue? What a shame, looks like a beautiful car. Hope it was insured by a company that knows antique cars. Happy Thanksgiving to the driver with only minor scrapes, could have been much worse.

The accident occurred in Colorado.     The driver did not have any physical problem, such as a seizure  that would have caused the accident. All I know is the vehicle suddenly went into a violent  wobble / shimmy , which we all know can be caused from any one or a number of front end problems.  When accurate knowledge is gained, I will post it. I can't imagine there wouldn't be a post-mortum on the car to determine the malfunction.  I would be very surprised if this car wasn't rebuilt.

I've had speed wobble on a mororcycle before and is both sudden and violent. Only fast reactions to slow without braking can save. Many cars have steering dampers to avoid but if missing or failed... It usually occurs over 60 mph.

*Think* vehicles with kingpins are more succeptible.

I've had speed wobble on a mororcycle before and is both sudden and violent. Only fast reactions to slow without braking can save. Many cars have steering dampers to avoid but if missing or failed... It usually occurs over 60 mph.

*Think* vehicles with kingpins are more succeptible.

With my 1931 DB coupe, the death wobble was caused by the angle of the front axle. There were too many shims on it and created the wrong angle to steer correctly.

I had some wire wheels made that were recommended tubeless.

The problem was that they used silicone to seal the spokes, a thick bead at that.

I was running along at about 80 when a big chunk of the silicon broke from the rim and went up against the back of the tread side of the tire throwing the balance WAY out.

It was a violent ride for a few seconds,

It happened twice before the manufacturer agreed to do something about it. I shipped them the wheels and they didn't do a thing. The liars sent them back saying that they had redone the silicone system and all should be good. They lied and they know good and well that I am very effective advertising for them, just not the right kind.

I put tubes in the tires and no problems since.

post-95665-0-36466600-1448642286_thumb.j

post-95665-0-84765400-1448642366_thumb.j

Currently, the prevailing thought is, one of the front knockoff hubs came loose.  The hubs are LH thread on the right and vice-versa.  This is unsubstantiated and purely conjecture.   

Jack, and the wheel manufacturer is ?  PM please.

Currently, the prevailing thought is, one of the front knockoff hubs came loose.  The hubs are LH thread on the right and vice-versa.  This is unsubstantiated and purely conjecture.   

Left hand knockoff will unscrew itself when mounted on the right. Ask me how I know....

• Like 1

I would agree that it's worth rebuilding, but it would be a long and expensive road.  It appears the frame was bent, and that skews everything, not even considering the new wood and metal needed.

Hopefully the owner had good insurance, and having that, would just turn it over to a restoration shop and say "send the insurance company the bill"...and it will be in the six figures....

PM sent.

Tru story