What's it worth - '36 Buick Century 2Dr?

bluetaxi

Have an opportunity on a '36 Buick Century 2 Door Sedan, 38,000 original miles, set up on blocks in a heated basement garage in 1963 and not started in the 52 years since.  Original paint & original interior.  Appears to all be there.  Need to make written offer to the estate in the morning.

post-76889-0-96917800-1440036168_thumb.j

post-76889-0-18323700-1440036083_thumb.j

Wow, what an opportunity! Do you know if the engine is stuck or if it turns over? If you don't know, then you have to assume it is stuck after so many years.

Two years ago, I took a chance and made a successful offer on a 1948 model 76-S that had 16,000 miles but had sat in a Maine chicken coop for 43 years, untouched. Its 320 engine was stuck. The car was in just a little lower condition than this '36 is. I was able to get the engine to turn over and run after 24 hours of soaking the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil, poured down through the spark plug holes. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the car other than a rusty radiator and old tires & hoses & brake system. After replacing those, the car runs and drives like a one-year-old '48 Buick and it made the trip to and from Springfield, MO in June of this year.

My suggestion is that an offer of $12,000 to $15,000 might be fair. I'm sure others will disagree, but that is my opinion.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

1948 model 56-S

1948 model 76-S

1949 model 51

1949 model 59

and other Buicks....

I realize that this car's condition does not easily fit into the scale of Old Cars Price Guide but Old Cars Price Guide shows a number 4 condition 1936 Century 2 Door Sedan as being worth $7,000 and a number 3 condition as being worth $15,750. By the book, assuming the engine is not stuck, it would be closer to a number 4 condition than a number 3. If I was in the market, I would think something closer to $8,000 should buy it from an estate. I would wonder why it was put up for that long. There should be a good story there.

Figure what you consider to be a fair market price that you could sell the car for if it didn't meet your expectations. Then, if you don't already know, figure the maximum you would be willing to lose. Add them together and you have your bid.

Be sure to slip someone of authority a hundred dollar bill to keep you in the loop with the new buyer's contact information if you don't get it. The other buyers may be figuring a fair market price plus what they are willing to lose.  If that becomes the case the phase "I'll just make it go away for you and $XXXX will be in your hand in an hour."

Or be proactive and call the executor and say "I'm an adult with cash in hand. How much will it take to stop this circus and move on with your life?".

Personally, I don't believe the story. It was a $200 car in '64, maybe $300 on a stretch. Realities and family memories don't always reflect each other. If the attorney is honest, at some point you may here him say "we have been a bit disingenuous in presenting the car."

I'm smiling right now remembering the nephew who was selling his uncle's cherished Cadillac. He was really surprised at the handful of rusty steel wool. They just don't know. I bet someone paid $3,000 for it around 1990 and put it away.

Bernie

I'd be in the same ballpark, $8K-$10K. I would want to buy it at a good price given the unknowns. Once it was cleaned up an running, I could see it being a $15K car. For reference, I was looking at a '38 Century 2-door sedan last year that owner was struggling to get around $30K for. This was a very nice car with a decade old restoration, including a great interior.

I realize that this car's condition does not easily fit into the scale of Old Cars Price Guide but Old Cars Price Guide shows a number 4 condition 1936 Century 2 Door Sedan as being worth $7,000 and a number 3 condition as being worth $15,750. By the book, assuming the engine is not stuck, it would be closer to a number 4 condition than a number 3. If I was in the market, I would think something closer to $8,000 should buy it from an estate. I would wonder why it was put up for that long. There should be a good story there.

Thaks for the input - it has been helpful.  Some new information:  Inspection today (helped move the car to temporary storage) reveals that it is a Special 48 and not a Century.  Mileage is undoubtedly real - opened the trunk and the spare has never been out, other signs of a gentle 38,000 mile early life including literally no upholstery wear or seat spring sag, etc.  Story was that it was an estate car in southern California.  Given to the house manager as a gift for great service, etc.  Registrations are through '74 in California.  Was sold (to a family member) and brought to Fairbanks, Alaska in '76.  Was put up on jack stands in a heated basement garage here in '77 and not moved or started since (owner was an oil field worker working 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off, but never got around to doing anything with the car, but treasured it as an heirloom and investment.  When we lowered it from the jackstands and aired one low tire - the car rolled and steers easily.  No brakes.  Engine turns easily when rolled in gear, so not stuck.  Absolutely no rust - undercarriage dry and clean.  No rodent evidence.  Wood floor good.  A bit of waterstaining on door panels probably from leaky window seals in early years.  No paint bubbles or chips - a few surface scraches that will rub out.  Good glass all around.   I have the only offer on the car at $8200.  One family member - daughter of the house manager and relative of the deceased owner - has expressed an interest in bringing the car back to CA.  There are thus three choices - move the car back to Santa Barbara to keep it in the family, sell to me, or put it in storage until a spring auction.  When resolved, I will post the end decision, and if I get the car and paperwork, the "rest of the story" of the car's provenance.

• Like 1

I'd be in the same ballpark, $8K-$10K. I would want to buy it at a good price given the unknowns. Once it was cleaned up an running, I could see it being a $15K car.

Yep $8K plus $10K (if lucky) to tidy it up/new tires/new hoses/other results in $15K car ar best. And many hours of work. These have a lot of wood hidden

2 door sedans are not as popular as 4 door sedans or coupes

But its now a 1936 special model 48 so worth less

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

I see they're already revising the story. Not stored since '62, but since '77 (not that it makes a big difference, but what else have they told you that just isn't true?). Sadly, a Special is worth about half what a Century would be. That's a $5000 car at best the way it sits.

You should revise your offer in light of the fact that it's a much less desirable Special and not a Century.

As someone in the business, I get so weary of families who know nothing about old cars thinking that when a relative with some neglected old car dies that they've suddenly inherited the mother lode. Shipping it from Alaska to California (that'll easily be a few thousand bucks) and/or getting it ready for auction will likely result in a net loss on this particular car. They should cut their losses, take whatever offer they get for the car as-is, and move on. This is not a major score for them and they need to know that.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thaks for the input - it has been helpful.  Some new information:  Inspection today (helped move the car to temporary storage) reveals that it is a Special 48 and not a Century.  Mileage is undoubtedly real - opened the trunk and the spare has never been out, other signs of a gentle 38,000 mile early life including literally no upholstery wear or seat spring sag, etc.  Story was that it was an estate car in southern California.  Given to the house manager as a gift for great service, etc.  Registrations are through '74 in California.  Was sold (to a family member) and brought to Fairbanks, Alaska in '76.  Was put up on jack stands in a heated basement garage here in '77 and not moved or started since (owner was an oil field worker working 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off, but never got around to doing anything with the car, but treasured it as an heirloom and investment.  When we lowered it from the jackstands and aired one low tire - the car rolled and steers easily.  No brakes.  Engine turns easily when rolled in gear, so not stuck.  Absolutely no rust - undercarriage dry and clean.  No rodent evidence.  Wood floor good.  A bit of waterstaining on door panels probably from leaky window seals in early years.  No paint bubbles or chips - a few surface scraches that will rub out.  Good glass all around.   I have the only offer on the car at $8200.  One family member - daughter of the house manager and relative of the deceased owner - has expressed an interest in bringing the car back to CA.  There are thus three choices - move the car back to Santa Barbara to keep it in the family, sell to me, or put it in storage until a spring auction.  When resolved, I will post the end decision, and if I get the car and paperwork, the "rest of the story" of the car's provenance.

I spent most of my life in Alaska and know how cold it gets in Fairbanks.  Be sure to look carefully for a cracked block which could easily occur if the car ever sat in an unheated space during the winter.

My 1990 guess was closer than the 1964 story. It was an educated guess. I remember Hemmings Motor News creating Special Interest Auto magazine in 1970 to promote the "newer", sometimes overlooked cars. A '36 Special would have fit that group in 1970 and pretty much been invisible in 1964. We were driving field cars around the orchards of my Grandparents farm about that time and my Uncle bought a nice '34 Chevy coach from old Mr. Files, down the road, for about $35.

My cousin came home on leave from the Air Force in a '54 Eldorado he paid about $400 for. And my Aunt really blew her cork when he contemplated buying a gull wing Mercedes for $3,000. He ended up with a 190SL for less. (Family banking does have its drawbacks.)

A year and a half later I missed a '58 Limited convertible for $800. And bought a '60 Invicta for $600.

Anyway, the story didn't follow logic.

It would be interesting to find the origin of the Century designation. Most of the uninformed think all Buicks are Roadmasters.

Anything under $10,000 is a good entry fee for a solid 1930's car.

And there are some weary families out there today looking for the brass ring or the Do Re Mi. Some guys try to get the reality across:

Bernie