1957 Buick Super Convertible on Ebay for $89,900.00

High Desert

It is a pretty car in Missouri.  I didn't know that Super Convertibles came with leather in 1957, but I can't decode the "550s" trim code.  Someone painted it all red when it should have dover white on the bottom.  They say it has factory AC, but it doesn't.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391211532910?forcerRptr=true&item=391211532910&viewitem=

post-138004-0-78439800-1438119715_thumb.

post-138004-0-57264500-1438119723_thumb.

They just bought this car at Auctions America California sale ten days ago for $49,000 before buyers commission.

The car does not have factory air, but it is a very good looking car.

Your posting is a good illustration of attempting high mark-up,

which I don't think helps the hobby.  Nearly doubling

the price of a car takes it out of many people's budgets!

Is a white insert in the sweep-spear molding correct?

Such a color is not indicated in any illustrations in the

factory catalogue.

The first edition of the 1957 Buick catalogue shows all

the molding inserts a tangerine (orange-red) color;

the catalogue was then revised, with a slightly different cover,

and included also molding inserts of green or blue.

Your right regarding the sweep spear colors, and of course just another red car to add to the long, long list of red cars.  

Yes, for example the Velocity Channel on the Satellite Dish Network is comprised of soap opera type and hyped car shows, info commercials guised as "how to dos" and of course the so called Flipper Sharks out there attempting to con and buy low and flip at auctions where folks have more general across the board untaxed capital gain, trading and inheritance income then plain common sense.  Just another reincarnation of the back corner lot used car hacks of days gone bye but guess they are using spray guns now instead of spray cans for the most part.  :)"

Its a beautiful fresh neat restoration & comes with continental kit !  everything has been touched !  probably cost  $40k just to restore !  only 2000 odd made from factory ???  ..oh they did good  .. for someone in UK  with their exchange rate its a bargain !  

Landed cost, well, they most likely have near $60k in the piece.

I would have listed at a starting price of around $65k and see what bids come in, they could state RESERVE NOT MET, and then deal with the high bidder to see if a deal could be worked out.

But that's just my thoughts. $90k starting is dreaming, IMO

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

I wouldn't expect anyone in Australia would buy it at current exchange rates.   Our dollar has taken a dive in recent times.

Even parts are now expensive for us --- and the shipping rates, well they just keep skyrocketing.

Guest my3buicks

Like is or not the fact that it's a Super will holdback potential buyers, for that money you would be far better off putting your $$ in a Roadmaster or Century.

why pay tens of thousands more for the exact same body style , trim & options  ..same ride & handling etc  all for the sake of roadmaster name  ? 

A 68 Shelby GT500KR (king of the road) 1050 produced  is priced the same as just a Shelby GT500.  with 4500 produced.  & why havent they gone up in price since Shelbys passing ... all ferraris went up 3 months after Enzo`s passing 

Because Shelby cars have been over priced for to long.

Seems that nearly every auction one is claimed to be his PERSONAL car, it's like if he just walked by a Tang, the price would go out of sight. IMO there are a lot of Shelby owners that will never see their car value increase.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Well, in this case the price is in Roadmaster territory. Reason, the same reasons people bought a Roadmaster over a Super when new. Top of the line is top of the line, The roadmaster certainly had a nicer interior than a super as well.

Guest my3buicks

One would wonder with all the other items added to this car & liberties taken in it's restoration,  how many of those options actually came on this car.  In general Supers tended to not be as loaded up.  The interiors were much more plain as well. 

At the end of the day, it's still a Super, though. :)  Like Keith said, it's all in the name.  I probably would have passed on my 60 if it was not a 225.  Same with the Limited when I bought it.

Yep.

Regardless of what option the car has, whether or not the Super was born with those options.

• Like 1