I have a 1922 light six Studebaker Roadster

I just purchased a1922 light six which has the manifolds built into the block, I live in the California foothills, it gets hot here, I don't want to have problems with vapor lock. does anyone know if a 24 or 25 has similar issues, are the blocks internal on these years as well? and will a 24 or 25 engine work with everything on the 1922? Or does anyone have any suggestions on how I would modify the current system on my 1922 to avoid the potential vapor locking? I am looking for information and advice before I start spending money. I appreciate all advice and help, thank you!

Please call David Roberts at 209-245-4841 or write an email and Terry will answer on Monday morning. Ranchocicada@gmail.com

Edited by David Roberts (see edit history)

People drove Studes in 1922 in California without difficulties. Why do you think it will vapor lock??

They didn't have to use gubmint mandated pseudo-fuel that evaporates in 3 minutes back then.

Guest BillP

Studemax is right.

Does it have a battery and generator? Can you fit an electric fuel pump?

Or maybe add some kerosene to the gas, I dunno.

With the modern gas you can mix in kerosine to bring the octane down to 50 / 60 if you are having problems.

No vapor lock here in Vegas at temps above 110 with modern fuel but the carb will be dry after a couple of days sitting.

If you are talking about the light six 1920 to mid 23 had the aluminum head with the intake manifold built into it. Mid 1923 they switch to a regular style cast head with cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds. I believe the issue with the aluminum is cracking of the heads especially as they age. Reproduction heads are listed on ebay. The engines from mid 23 through 1924 can be substituted for the earlier engines. A new fuel line is needed because the later engines have the vacuum tank on the left side of the engine compartment and the earlier engines have it on the right side.

Most cars of that era have few if any vapor-lock trouble. A few have a lot of trouble. Try it out and see. The cars with the most trouble with vapor-lock from what I read about (I don't have any that era) are the later '30s through early '50s. Big, enclosed engine compartments seem to trap heat. The few '20s cars I have known that had some trouble? It was usually solved with simple insulation of the fuel line. No need to change an engine.

I am in Grass Valley! Where about in the Califunny foothills are you?