1973 Chevy /GMC steering wheel goo

mrspeedyt

i've got a 73 suburban and also a 75 Chevy Monza both with the same issue with nasty sticky goo covering the stock black steering wheels that are otherwise in very nice shape. obviously some kind of deterioration of the steering wheel material. with organic cleaner I can get some of it off but gosh what a Lotta work. is there an easier way?

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

I think its the material it was made out of not only your vehical but a lot of different makes.  I have good results with any good

spray cleaner first black gooey stuff then after dry I wipe it with floor wax. Not a permanent fix, just give it a wipe time to time.

In most cases it is a buildup of grime from being handled. Waterless hand cleaner will clean it off and not hurt the plastic, smear some on and wash it off after half an hour. Repeat if necessary. When the wheel seems clean keep washing with clean water and get all the sticky residue off.

In most cases it is a buildup of grime from being handled. Waterless hand cleaner will clean it off and not hurt the plastic, smear some on and wash it off after half an hour. Repeat if necessary. When the wheel seems clean keep washing with clean water and get all the sticky residue off.

With these type of rubber/plastic steering wheels it is not a case of "just being handled". The chemical composition of the plasicizers is decomposing and gassing off. It is been a known problem with the H body guys and the best cure seems to be 'Goof-Off' or "Go Gone' A lot of guys seemed to have cleaned the wheel and re-dyed it and the problem went away, sort of sealed up

Some more info here;http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28942

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

thank you all for your tips. i just now tried 'disolve it' with no sucess. i will try the hand cleaner.

update: tried the hand cleaner on the black wheel in the suburban. some success but it's a tedious process.

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My 1947 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery has a 1974 Camaro stub frame welded to the stock frame.  Along with the front suspension etc., came the steering gear and stock 1974 steering wheel.  This steering wheel had the same "goo" on it that is the subject of this thread.  I tried several cleansers and detailing compounds with little or only temporary luck.  I eventually gave up and went with a custom steering wheel.  Of course this option is not available to those who are keeping their rides "stock".  I wish I'd asked the "goo" question of this forum when I was having the problem ... I might still have the 1974 steering wheel.

I hate goo,

Grog

I have had several H bodies and this is a common problem, but I never had with a black wheel, just the other color ones. I even purchased a NOS steering wheel for my Monza Mirage in an unopened box and the same problem was there. It is a chemistry issue, remember that this was the begining of plastics being used heavily in automotive interiors. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Was a problem with standard GM wheels of the late '60s & '70s but rarely happened to the optional wheels. My fun Pontiacs all had Formula wheels (including the '78 Sunbird V8) and was not a problem (I just like the Formula wheel).

gtoint.jpg

None of my cars are "stock" but have outlasted most who could tell.

• 2 months later...

My old Chevy used to do the same thing. I found a company who repairs steering wheels and they said that its the rubber underneath the leather. The replaced my rubber and leather and now there's no more of that nasty goo.

Try www.craftcustoms.com they did a really great job on my wheel.

Edited by CCFL (see edit history)