Year of Manufacture Plates- Help needed

Guest pehernan

Guest pehernan

Hello,

I’m new to the antique cars world, but deeply in love with it. I bought my 1936 Plymouth on last November and just started the restoration. I would try to take it back to its original condition, including the year of manufacturing plates. Yes!!!

I found a beautiful preserved pair on Ebay, but the problem is that I live in New Jersey and here are illegal, even to display it.

I checked online and many states allow them, but no my. I research the possibility of collect signatures to make a petition, but our State don’t have Direct Democracy (means that is really hard to bring a proposal from the people up)

I need your guidance, especially if anybody knows how to push Motor Vehicle to consider the use of the YOM plates.

Guest pehernan

Thank you,

I'm going to contact my local AACA chapter, because I started asking to car owners in a few shows this year and everybody showed interest, but it feels that nobody has try to change the law. 

I would suggest that  when you contact others you urge that YOM plates be restricted to antique cars that maintain an original drivetrain. It ruffles feathers when a full blown hotrod is running YOM plates, e.g. a model A Ford with a 350 CI crate engine! 

Guest pehernan

Hi Franklin,

you got an excellent point! I'm not sure yet of how the process is, but I will be careful to be specific about; "just for original cars".

Thanks again

The reason that you see YOM plates on hot rods is so the police can tell what it is.

If a Model A looks like a Model A then the cop will know that it is a Model A as he probably doesn't recognize it as a 2015 Ford or a 2015 assembled.

Guest pehernan

James,

beautiful car, actually the 1955 roadmaster was my first target when I started looking for my car, but my wife steered me to the thirthies and I end with a 1936 Plymouth. Who knows, maybe down the road I would have a beauty like yours

James,

beautiful car, actually the 1955 roadmaster was my first target when I started looking for my car, but my wife steered me to the thirthies and I end with a 1936 Plymouth. Who knows, maybe down the road I would have a beauty like yours

Thanks. Dad would be pleased with your compliment. Dad liked Plymouths, too. He drove a '39 Plymouth for years

I believe that PA has just allowed YOM plates but you can still only mount one on the rear of the vehicle. Any plate, even custom painted plates,on the front of vehicles in PA are technically illegal, but I din't think that the police push that issue.

Remember the old Chinese proverb:  Be careful what you ask for, because you might get it.  NJ doesn't allow YOM plates, but you can get antique vanity plates in NJ.  (My Model T plate says MY LIZ.)  In other respects its attitude toward antique cars is very benign.  It charges ONCE to register a car; you have to renew every three years, but there's no cost.  There's no inspection requirement.  You're only supposed to use the car in events of public interest, but I play with cars so old that the public is interested every time I drive one.  I've NEVER had anything from a cop except a friendly wave.

NJ, like a lot of other states, is broke.  The unfunded liability of its public pension plans is downright scary.  One of these days the legislature will be looking to dig up the cemeteries so it can sell the bones for soup.  In this environment, is it really smart to go hat in hand to ask another favor for what looks like a bunch of folks with assets to tax?

I'm for keeping a low profile and leaving well enough alone.

Guest pehernan

Remember the old Chinese proverb:  Be careful what you ask for, because you might get it.  NJ doesn't allow YOM plates, but you can get antique vanity plates in NJ.  (My Model T plate says MY LIZ.)  In other respects its attitude toward antique cars is very benign.  It charges ONCE to register a car; you have to renew every three years, but there's no cost.  There's no inspection requirement.  You're only supposed to use the car in events of public interest, but I play with cars so old that the public is interested every time I drive one.  I've NEVER had anything from a cop except a friendly wave.

y smart to go hat in hand to ask another favor for what looks like a bunch of folks with assets to tax?

I'm for keeping a low profile and leaving well enough alone.

You make me laugh, because I'm teacher by trade and the future of our pension is a constant treat. It's really sad how a State with so much income and potential like this one, has being mismanage to this point. 

You are also right about keeping a low profile, but we have to be realistic, not even that its a warranty. 

I'm planning to take the pulse around this year's shows and see what happens.