Coloring

Curti

The washers under the head bolts of 34-36 Auburn were parkerized black from the factory. I have looked high and low for the correct size and can only find them in 306 stainless. 

Is there any way to discolor the stainless to a dark grey or black?  

The washers under the head bolts of 34-36 Auburn were parkerized black from the factory. I have looked high and low for the correct size and can only find them in 306 stainless. 

Is there any way to discolor the stainless to a dark grey or black?  

I'm guessing a few minutes work on a small lathe could rework nearly the right size steel washers into right size washers ready for Parkerizing...........Bob

Be aware, you will need to roughten the surface for the product to stick. We use a bead blaster with 80 or 100 grit aluminum oxide. The product you may be getting is call 'black oxide'. Be careful if you de decide to use it as it will eat on your skin. A product we use on SST parts like the gas cylinder on M1 Garands is called 'GunKoat'. It is very hard paint which gets baked on. We spray it on military sniper rifles using an air brush. Flat black would be your color choice.

Assuming (I don't know) these are round washers and that you can find a standard steel washer of the correct thickness and inner diameter, and larger outer diameter:

Make a fixture for your lathe with a boss to chuck, a "round area" about 0.003 less than the I.D. as long as needed, and a threaded end.

Put how ever many washers on the fixture, tighten a nut on the end, and make a pass with the cutting tool to redo the outer diameter.

Now you are ready to finish the washers.

Jon.

The Caswell product came. The instructions are straight forward. The product is light blue but darkens 306 stainless to a nice grey black.  

If the surface gets scratched it won't rust.  Life is good.

Guest Old School Plating

We offer black oxide on stainless steel using the old school mixtures. Stainless steel is not easy to blacken even with the correct chemisty because of the wide range of stainless alloys. we've been processing black oxide on stainless for over 45 years and in some cases we will adjust the oxide mixture to accomade the alloy composition.