TV Game show

Guest exbcmc

Guest exbcmc

I can't remember where I put my car keys, BUT I can name you just about every cubic inch V8 the big 3 (and Rambler) made in the 50/60s. Wouldn't that be a great Jeopardy type game show on Speed Channel?

Guest exbcmc

Transmissions! Episode 3, where is the gas cap? Where is the hood latch. Then the Emmies! Things only a 15 yr old kid working 60 hrs a week at a Texaco station would know....

Guest Skyking

Where are you going to find the contestants? How many people even know the simple questions? I find grown men asking what year my friend's '55 Chevy is. Things have changed quite a bit.......

Guest exbcmc

See guys, it could work, I'm contacting speed channel tomorrow! As far as a 327, did Studebaker have one?

Here is one, why did Olds and Cad use dynaflows for a short time in the early 50's?

Guest exbcmc
1949 VW had 9 wooden parts that no other car had. Can you name them?

was one the turn indicator that popped out from the side of the car? How bout seat frames?

Where are you going to find the contestants? How many people even know the simple questions? I find grown men asking what year my friend's '55 Chevy is. Things have changed quite a bit.......

Indeed they have. However, I've a feeling you could get enough contests for a few shows. I'd say plenty of "car people" exist that know enough automotive trivia.

That written, I do recall an actual "Jeopardy!" episode ~1 year ago where the Final Jeopardy! query was automotive. While I can't recall the exact answer, the question was "What is the Ford Thunderbird?" I knew it instantly. None of the 3 contestants answered correctly.

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"Like a light in the dark" __ Dan Seals __ 'I Will Be There'

1949 VW had 9 wooden parts that no other car had. Can you name them?

8 pushrods and a gas gauge. Early VW beetles had aluminum pushrods reinforced with a wooden dowel. The gas gauge was the most accurate, most reliable gas gauge ever invented - a wooden ruler marked off in litres and gallons.

Time to let someone else think up some questions, I wouldn't want to strain my brain ha ha.

See guys, it could work, I'm contacting speed channel tomorrow! As far as a 327, did Studebaker have one?

Here is one, why did Olds and Cad use dynaflows for a short time in the early 50's?

Because the HydraMatic factory ( Livonia ) burned down in the fall of 1953. Pontiac made due with Powerglide.

Where did the Chevy small block V-8 of 1955 get it's valve train from, and who was the engineer that invented it? and what year?

Guest exbcmc
Because the HydraMatic factory ( Livonia ) burned down in the fall of 1953. Pontiac made due with Powerglide.

Helfren , come on down! That is correct

Nnnnaaaatttt No.. It is a truck motor. A 279 CID first built in 1952. I catch more guys with that one. Dandy Dave!

But you didn't say ford truck, you said Ford. I could have said the Lincoln 279 V-8 of 1952, but Lincoln isn't a Ford and the Lincoln V-8 in a Ford truck isn't a Ford V-8. Did I just say all of that? My head is spinning.

What was the name of the engineer that designed the original air cooled VW engine and in what year? How long was that original design in production?

But you didn't say ford truck, you said Ford. I could have said the Lincoln 279 V-8 of 1952, but Lincoln isn't a Ford and the Lincoln V-8 in a Ford truck isn't a Ford V-8. Did I just say all of that? My head is spinning.

The one I had came out of a 1955 F700 fire truck. It did not say Lincoln on the Valve covers or anywhere else for that matter. When I looked up information on it many years ago it was listed as a Ford motor. I did not specify car in my question, only the first Ford over head valve engine in the fifty's. It is a motor that was only used in the heavier trucks and subsequently is not a well known model. But now you know that. ;) Dandy Dave!

What was the name of the engineer that designed the original air cooled VW engine and in what year? How long was that original design in production?

Edmund Rumpler, 1935, and around 60 years. Remember, these were still built in South America long after they ceased production in Germany. Dandy Dave!

I started this post for fun, but it's amazing the knowledge floating around.

Indeed! Maybe it's not such a far-fetched idea. I'd be willing to bet some of the classic car companies around might even consider sponsoring it....

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"Uh, what model is it?" __ Johnny Cash __ 'One Piece At A Time'

The one I had came out of a 1955 F700 fire truck. It did not say Lincoln on the Valve covers or anywhere else for that matter. When I looked up information on it many years ago it was listed as a Ford motor. I did not specify car in my question, only the first Ford over head valve engine in the fifty's. It is a motor that was only used in the heavier trucks and subsequently is not a well known model. But now you know that. ;) Dandy Dave!

Knowing the history of how that Ford truck got that engine. We know it was from Lincoln

I know that Smoky Unich perfected it for racing.

The independent ball stamped steel rocker arm was designed and perfected by the Pontiac engineer Clayton Leach in 1948. Those rocker arms and the Pontiac engine was released on the 1955 Pontiac. The engine had been held back for release for two years, it was originally supposed to be release with the 1953 model year but Buick cried to corporate because it would have taken valuable thunder away from Buick's unveiling of it's new engine... the nailhead V-8. Chevrolet cried to corporate as well, but Chevrolet cried or begged to use Pontiac's valve train, which under corporate rules allows a division with a new invention the one year exclusivity. The rule was wavered and Chevrolet like Buick got it's way over Pontiac.

Edmund Rumpler, 1935, and around 60 years. Remember, these were still built in South America long after they ceased production in Germany. Dandy Dave!

The original VW's design that went into production was designed by Franz Reimspiess in 1937. The engine is known as the "E" motor. This engine architecture would last in the deluxe model to August of 1960, and in the standard model and "A" sedan until August of 1965. Most people simply know the last version of this engine as a 1200cc 36hp engine. The differences between the 1200 36hp and the 1200cc 40hp and later engine is the location of the fuel pump and also the 36 hp and earlier engines have a engine case where the generator stand is cast into the rt side of the engine case. All newer engines the generator stand is a separate piece and is bolted to the case by four bolts. I have a 65 "A" sedan with it's #'s matching engine. See the link;

click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14257513231996&key=9b4efad421c8b103b2c94b796db973b0&libId=i6zbj1900100zvpz000DA8l1wovaa&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D336263%26start%3D220&subId=d106eaff06024b83dc3a0e1c376d8891&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fgallery%2Fpix%2F516081.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fforum%2Fviewforum.php%3Ff%3D2&title=TheSamba.com%20%3A%3A%20View%20topic%20-%201966%20European%20Standard%2C%20what%20was%20OG&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fgallery%2Fpix%2F516081.jpg