photo of the day

mastertech

No X frame :) Must not have tied it down very well? What happens to drivers when things like this happen? How do they get the car upright without damaging it or the truck further?

They call in a crane.

When I worked in a body shop in the 70's we repaired a truck load of Datsun pickups that got their roofs ripped off going under a short underpass. In 1953 I doubt there would be many cranes around to rescue this one. More likely they tried to hold the Chrysler up and backed the truck out from under it. I wonder if the frame and front clip got replaced or if it got scrapped. The buckled fenders would indicate some fairly serious frame damage but a lot of things got fixed back then.

I agree. I don't think there is any way that frame got bent.

I think they are seeing the fenders bent meaning that the frame could have possibly been sprung upwards due to the weight hitting the ground at an angle on the attached bumper? Nothing major that a machine can't fix but damage just the same that could potentially throw wheel alignments off let alone body panels.

I was working at an Olds dealer in 1980. A transport driver arrived with a truck load of Toronados. The top row of cars were badly damaged. The front one lost it's roof. The second one was missing it's roof with major damage to the front of the vehicle. The last one was badly damaged in the front and rear. It had been knocked off the trailer. I talked to the driver. He stated that he deviated from his prescribed route to see his girlfriend. He encountered a low bridge at 30 mph. He said he would no longer be employed after this delivery. The cars were donated to a local junior college with an auto tech program. None of them were repairable.