The $1Million dollar junkyards, or, the soon to be crushed

Guest Henry White

Guest Henry White

Hope this doesnt offend anyone, that is not the intent. I have seen many yards all over the nation where, after decades of being cherry picked the owners wanted to sell out, always well into six or even seven figures. In every case eventually the county declares it polluted or in violation of zoning rules and quickly all the cars get crushed, for whatever scrap is bringing in that area at that time.

It would be best for all if they would get real about prices and move it out for what they can get. It never happens. I am sure some will say it isnt worth it to retail stuff for low prices but no price is lower than scrap. Wish as they may, a rusted out 71 truck will never become a 63 split window Corvette.

It is late in the game, many of us near our expiration date, the market will continue to fall. It is far past time to move it out, restore it, or forget it. Gonna fix it some day? No you wont, some day never comes, if it is outside your heirs will crush it. Maybe they're just not car people?

Guest Henry White

$500 is about right for many of the cars out there sinking into the mud. But they seem determined to crush them for closer to $200-$300

They wanted to crush em all along. But all those years in which they enjoyed denying someone their dream car/part, would have to end.

I could write something to challenge the two extremely negative attitudes on display here so far, but given their frame of mind, they would probably belittle and attack me for not agreeing with them. Gentlemen, if you are that negative about the hobby, why not get out?

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

Oh, and by the way, here's one that got crushed in March of this year, and was worth more than $500 given all the parts that were left on it.

post-32059-143142545905_thumb.jpg

Guest Henry White

"probably belittle and attack" What frame of mind is that? We are accused before we respond. Well, I am trying to leave the hobby, people like you make it easier to do.

A rusted, gutted Riviera? Yeah, $500

This is why people dont like Texans.

Guest Henry White

Mods may as well delete this one. Dude came in with a bad attitude and accused us of what we "probably" do. The guy was a jerk for no reason. I see a lot of that from texas.

"probably belittle and attack" What frame of mind is that? We are accused before we respond. Well, I am trying to leave the hobby, people like you make it easier to do.

A rusted, gutted Riviera? Yeah, $500

This is why people dont like Texans.

If you want to leave the hobby, then just leave. Save the drama for Facebook

Guest Henry White

Was no drama until pete brought it here. I notice you step into these things yourself. The OP was about cars, something you dont mention.

Guest Gary Hearn

If you don't want to see a car crushed, buy it. In the absence of that, a car owner is free to do whatever he wants with it, no matter how much you may disagree with his choice.

Guest Henry White

Just pointing out the irony of selling for less when they could get more. Very strange business strategy.

How many cars can a professional crusher crush in a day vs waiting years to sell them for $100.00 more than scrap? I'd take the quick money, that is good business in my book. Bob

Just pointing out the irony of selling for less when they could get more. Very strange business strategy.

What a car is worth and what it can be sold for are two different things. Yes, the Rivera should have been worth more than scrap value. That is of little concern to a guy in New Jersey or Seattle that needs a parts car. Getting the hulk to your front door from Texas drives the cost way past what many of them are worth. If a guy in the next town needs the car, he can well afford to pay over scrap value for it and simply tow or trailer it home.

Guest Gary Hearn

One's lifespan is finite, after decades of trying to eek out a living dealing with tight fisted collectors he elected to throw in the towel and cash in. Happens every day in real life...

I hear what you're saying Henry.. luckily some of those old grumps who would deny most of us of our dream are fading away.

The only ones who are willing to allow us to fulfill our dreams are their offspring, the realistic ones anyway. Some of these kids know they will never use them and hate to see history crushed so they do price things fair. To me, from my experiences, the real old timers who owned these yards were the ones who held on to tight and were never much fun to deal with, downright arrogant most of the time... and seemed to think they were doing us all a favor by holding parts hostage. For what ? Where are they now ? Some were buried pennyless...

Some good yards are still out there but they will never be worth multi millions now.... and yes, the glory days are long gone for the true hobbyist but it's still fun, especially if you can find a kid who is willing to work with you in a realistic manner. Few and far between I know, but a few yards still remain. And yes, the pickens are very slim and will be all but dried up in a few more years..

Guest Skyking
I wonder if we could get people to post photos of cars that got crushed, OR will be crushed that have a value over $500.00? For all the talk, I bet there won't be over a half dozen photos this time next Sunday. Bob

Who wants to see pictures of history getting crushed? I sure don't.

I wonder if we could get people to post photos of cars that got crushed, OR will be crushed that have a value over $500.00? For all the talk, I bet there won't be over a half dozen photos this time next Sunday. Bob

Here's one photo with more than a half dozen I'd say. Will they be crushed ? Who knows... I highly doubt it and the current owners are more than fair on their prices and making money also. The place is not easy to get to but they do fine with the hobby crowd still, you can count on it.

I'd show you more photos but then I'd have to kill ya. ;)

post-69994-143142548082_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142548082_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Guest epicoat

Well in my idea the price did go up for some time, but I think it should be blame to us collector.

In 2007 I saved a wrecked '53 Skylark from a yard being crushed out. Sold it twice and made over four grand on it; the first, overseas buyer paid then vanished, no reply to messages, I let him slide for two years then sold it again locally. The '58 Dodge, '60 Caddy ragtops each brought $2000. I think in six months I turned $10,000 just buying and flipping the stuff. The market was good and all I had to do was take pictures and post on eBay or other online forums. The '53 Chevy guys drove here to New York from California to pick up. It can be done. I know of more still out there, but the market's been in the toilet for a while.

always sad to see the old stuff get crushed but often when it is at that point there is not much left usable on it....if it is from a yard...parts were used to save others to keep them going...all a trade off...Henry has some good points.

I am as much a preservationist and a history buff as anyone (heck, I have a degree in it - for what that's worth), so let's get that out of the way before I say anything else.

Therefore, with that said...

It's easy to be critical of someone's decision to throw in the towel when you're looking in from the outside. It doesn't matter if it's crushing cars, demolishing 'historic' buildings or what have you. Mostly it is very easy to condemn such actions when it's not your private property and isn't your money invested in it. As much as I hate to see neat old "stuff" lost and gone forever, I have learned over the years to step back and realize that you (that's the collective 'you') just can't save it all. The only thing an individual can do to stop the crushing of entire yards is to go in and buy the cars and haul them off to your property. That's it.

I can certainly understand the allure of the scrap man. Very much a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" situation. Scrap price for the car immediately or wait indefinitely to see if you can do one better.