Dave Zimmerman - former AACA National President Passing

Pat Buckley

David L. Zimmerman, 72, of Peapack

Former owner of Long Valley Sunoco in Long Valley and Dave's Auto Care in Califon, died on Wednesday at his home.

Born in Rochester, Pa he moved to Bernardsville and then to Peapack in 1962.

Dave was a graduate of Bernards High School class of 1959 and served in the United States Navy and the Naval reserves 1959 to 1965. He was assigned to the USS Chaplain and stationed at the U.S. Naval Air Station in Annapolis, MD. He was on the USS Champlain at the Bay of Pigs.

Dave was a wonderful mechanic and enjoyed antique cars. He was a member of the Antique Car Club of America, serving as president in 2005. He also was elected to the National Board in 1977. He was a member and past president of the Garden State Mustang Club, the Pennsylvania Mustang Club, the N.J. Region Antique Automobile club, and past president of the Early Ford Antique Automobile Club. He also was active in judging antique cars and Mustangs and just received an award for 250 Judging Credits in Philadelphia earlier the years. He also was a member of the Buzzards Breath Touring Region and the ONTELAUNEE AACA. He was also a member of the Peapack Reformed Church, Prospect Lodge#24 F and AM of Chester and the Bernays Apgar Post 342 American legion of Chester.

He is survived by his wife Brenda Fisher Zimmerman, two daughter Vicki L. and husband Sven of Lebanon Twp, Dr. Kristi Zimmerman D.V.M. of North Boston, New Hampshire, his grandson Leif Mangulson of Lebanon Twp., his father William L. of Chester Twp, and a brother Thomas and his wife Shirley of Gilmanton, New Hampshire.

The services will be held Tuesday June 3rd at 10:00am at the Peapack Reformed Church.

Friends may visit at the Gallaway and Crane Funeral Home, 101 South Finley Ave, Basking Ridge, NJ Monday June 2nd from 4-8PM.

Those planning an expression of sympathy are asked to consider contributions to the Peapack-Gladstone First Aid and Rescue Squad, P.O. Box 14, Peapack, NJ 07977 or the AACA Library and Research Center, 501 West Governors Road, Hersey, Pa. 17033

Dave was a great person I am proud to have been a good friend . The club is going to miss him . Our thoughts go out to Brenda . Howard & Chris

Dave served as my Vice President when I was National President of AACA. He went on to be a truly great President, himself, the next year. He, I and our wives bonded from the very first time we met, and he was a dear friend and we stood behind each other through thick and thin. My wife and I will miss him immensely. He was strong, thoughtful, honest, devoted to his family, the hobby and his friends. When he said something, his word was his bond. When he shook your hand you could count on him. What more could you ask of any man? And when his illness was diagnosed he stood up to it, remained active as long as he could and retained his same lighthearted sense of humor through it all. Dave Zimmerman stood tall both in stature and as a man. AACA and the hobby has lost one of its greatest leaders and I've lost a great friend. Earl D. Beauchamp, Jr.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Dave Zimmerman was a respected gentleman and true friend whom I could always count on for thoughtful advice. He repeatedly reminded me how much he enjoyed his visit to our Division Tour in Houma, LA in 2005. It was Dave who encouraged me to consider serving AACA on our National Board of Directors. Following the election, Dave passed along advice he had been given by our mutual friend and 1999 AACA President Janet Ricketts - he said that when there was any question as to a choice of path, to always do what was "best for the AACA Membership". Hopefully we can all benefit by that advice.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave and Brenda's grandson Leif some years ago, and serving with him doing our YOUTH JUDGING program at the AACA MEET in Auburn, Indiana earlier this month. This young man will obviously continue the path his grandfather defined - a true "MENSCH".

Dave put up an extended and hard-hitting fight for as long as possible, and chose to be home with his family for his final days.

Our love and condolences go to Brenda, and to all of Dave and Brenda's extended family.

Rest in peace, my friend.

Marty

post-54863-143142540049_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142540058_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142540067_thumb.jpg

The memories keep flooding back. Dave and I were elected together to the National Board. From Day 1 he was someone I learned could be counted on and we so often bounced ideas around and discussed everything you could imagine - from AACA and the car hobby to the Navy and politics. I'll never forget the pride in his face the first time I asked Veteran's to stand and be recognized at a National event. Dave was always among the first to stand when that was done. He was proud of his service and we were proud of him! His term as president was inspiring and I so enjoyed our time serving AACA together. Even as his health declined, I would call him while on a tour or at a meet someplace to check in with him and it felt as though he was there with us. I know he was in spirit. And so it will always be - Dave, you'll always be with us. Keep the family in your prayers, keep Dave's memory alive in your hearts, and keep his spirit alive as you enjoy the hobby and AACA. Thanks to his dedication and hard work, he has done a lot to keep this hobby alive and the club thriving. The article in Antique Automobile Magazine, and his spirited last visit to Philly is testimony. I pray that Brenda and family will continue to enjoy the hobby they shared. I am always ready for a hug from her. Rest in peace good friend.

Terry

I am not really eloquent enough to adequately address this issue. I only knew Dave for about 6 years. Lots of people knew him much better than I did. I always enjoyed seeing him and talking with him whenever we ran into each other at AACA events. I really enjoyed the recent Antique Automobile Magazine article. I am sure that Dave was very proud of that article. I won't make it to his funeral service but I was thinking of him today as I played the bagpipes at the funeral of another Navy Veteran. Dave will be missed.

Matt, none of us are eloquent enough to say what is in our hearts about Dave. He was a very special guy with a tough persona, a warm heart and a twinkle in his eye always. During the year he and Brenda served our club as President I constantly remarked about the grace and respect in which he went about his duties. I was a fan. We shared a bunch of laughs, some tough talk but in the end I admired the respect he gave to people including me.

Thoughts tonight also turn to Brenda who has stood by his side under incredible difficulties. Brenda is a very special person and a volunteer for AACA extraordinaire! The quick laugh and hug always "softened" me up.

The funeral will tough for so many of us as Dave was truly a giant in AACA. He will be sorely missed as he went way too soon.

Dave was laid to rest today on a picture perfect sunshiny day in NJ. Loads of antique cars in the procession and a very nice service with eloquent words that spoke of the Dave we all knew. He will be sorely missed.

I wish I could've been there Steve. I had to work last night and couldn't make it in time to get down there. Two years ago I too was very sick, and it was Dave who would call me up and check on me. As sick as he would be from time to time, it was not uncommon to put his own illnesses aside to check on someone else.

As a fellow Mustang owner, Dave was also a great wealth of information. He had planned on coming up to visit my dad and I but got too sick to make the trip.

Guest Art Griffin

I ask God's blessings on Brenda and the whole family as we know that Dave is home with his Heavenly Father. I knew him for many years, both through the Mustang Club as well as AACA. Through his restoration/repair business and through the clubs that he was active in, Dave was a great asset to our world and particularly our hobby.

God Bless the Zimmermans.

Art Griffin