How do you remove green from new white tires?

trimacar

I have a set of white tires on my Hupmobile, these are the Vietnam tires made a number of years ago, they came to me with a green coating.....I spent two hours getting the green off ONE tire....does anyone know what can be used to remove this green with a little less effort? thanks dcpost-31482-143142476919_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the input.....I have a friend that does some soda blasting, that sounds interesting...but will try a couple of the other first....the Westley does a great job of keeping white tires white, but I tried it on the green stuff and it didn't do much....thanks dc

Guest Henry White

35 years ago I recall our Shell station using Fantastic with a stiff wire scrub brush to remove the green stuff (protective coating? only on the white stripe) which was on new white walls at that time. I'm thinking it may be tough to remove if it has had decades to dry. But what you have may be far different than what I speak of. HTH

Henry, you mention one of my concerns, these tires were made, I think, 15-20 years ago in Vietnam. The rubber is soft and fine, no problems (although they were a real treat to mount, clinchers, ya know)...but that green stuff is really dried on....

Guest WKnighter
Henry, you mention one of my concerns, these tires were made, I think, 15-20 years ago in Vietnam. The rubber is soft and fine, no problems (although they were a real treat to mount, clinchers, ya know)...but that green stuff is really dried on....

Try Gojo hand cleaner. Let it soak in for 10 or 15 minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush (not wire) and warm water,then rense. Larry.

I have used good old fashioned Brillo many,many times

Everyone is going to probably jump all over this suggestion and say that will damage the tire

Never had that happen - just use common sense when scrubbing

If you want to play it safe use 0000 steel wool and soapy warm water/Bleach White... - much finer than Brillo

Joe

Guest Henry White

Where I said wire brush I should have said brass brush. I think parts stores sell them.

I am liking the hand cleaner suggestion too. I use that stuff to clean all kinds of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Armor-All Tire & Wheel Cleaner with a brush and hose. I'd say it got about 83% of the green off with two applications (use gloves; it affects the skin). It was hard to get the green deep in the treads, though. I'm thinking to try a stiff toothbrush. My favorite suggestion was steam. A friend told me they used to have steam cleaners at all the car wash places for whitewalls, but not many whitewalls today.

By the way, were your tires tough to mount? Mine are NOS Firestones made in New Zealand. I got one on the rim today, and it wasn't easy!

Phil