Can you identify this pre-1920 car?

Guest Macwildstar

Guest Macwildstar

]This is my grandfather, sitting in a car that I believe is a pre 1920 car. I have tried to identify it.

I think it may be a 1911 Henry motors roadstar roadster.

Can anyone please identify this car? So far no one in our family has been able to do so.

and I spent over 6 hours on the internet looking at cars from 1906 to 1920 and cannot find an exact match.

Thank you.

post-98996-143142506242_thumb.jpg

post-98996-143142377454_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macwildstar
added State registration (see edit history)

Guest Macwildstar

I thought it might be that, but the ones I find on line, are missing the tall firewall and windshield. the model 1910 is close though.

Wonder if Ohio has records of license plates from that era.. I could take that number off the plate and do a trace on it.

Guest Macwildstar

Also, I am No where near an expert, or even an amateur on identifying antique cars. But when I started looking for this car, I looked at 4 key items.

1. The single piece wheel fenders.

2. lack of any side panels and or doors.

3. The firewall,, going vertical then at an angle, then the windshield with round top corners.

4. Canister type head lights and 2 square (lights?) on the side.

5. Driver side is the right side of the car.

I cannot see a gas tank on back, if the seat is 1 or 2 person, or any car name on the front grill.

The hupmobiles I saw, did not have the vertical firewall or wind screen.

This is an original pic, taken somewhere in ohio (can't remember where). The store in the background belongs to his aunt and uncle who is standing in the door way of the store.

Guest Macwildstar
I think it's a Hupmobile also, a Model 20 of around 1909.

Not quite sure what you mean regarding single-piece fenders.

yeah, I can see why you folks think its a Hupmobile, but the ones I'm finding the internet all have Doors and side panels on them, and Grandpa's does not.

by single piece fenders, I mean the wheel fenders look like one long piece that covers both wheels, joined together in the middle.

Other cars have individual fenders.. (or mudcovers, what ever you want to call them).

I'm pretty sure its one of the two cars we have identified here.. either the Hup, or the Henry.

Wish I had more info to go on..

West I believe he is referring to the unbroken line from the front fender tip to the rear.

Mac, although it it an unbroken line, The fenders are indeeed three seperate pieces: Front, rear and running board. The running board (step plate) would be frame mounted and quite solid as it would act as the support for the fenders. I agree with the Model 20 diagnosis:

Hupmobile_Model_20_Runabout_1910_2.jpg

The roadster did not have doors and the short panel ahead of them to the firewall, runabout body style did. Like other cars of the era many cars were not factory supplied with a windshield. Dealers and local parts houses often put on lamps, tops, windshields, speedometers, tool boxes, carbide tanks and other parts as aftermarket. Thus windshields can vary widely as well as the panel under it that meets the firewall.

As for the fenders, the front and rear fenders are separate meeting at a short ( less than a foot long) running board between them.

I agree with Hupmobile Model 20 roadster with added windshield, top and license plate clamp holding the license plate to the radiator neck.

Guest Macwildstar
The roadster did not have doors and the short panel ahead of them to the firewall, runabout body style did. Like other cars of the era many cars were not factory supplied with a windshield. Dealers and local parts houses often put on lamps, tops, windshields, speedometers, tool boxes, carbide tanks and other parts as aftermarket. Thus windshields can vary widely as well as the panel under it that meets the firewall.

As for the fenders, the front and rear fenders are separate meeting at a short ( less than a foot long) running board between them.

I agree with Hupmobile Model 20 roadster with added windshield, top and license plate clamp holding the license plate to the radiator neck.

One more thing.. The engine cover. Grandpas car is more triangular, the Picture shown of the hupmobile shows a curved engine cover. Would that make a difference?

One more thing.. The engine cover. Grandpas car is more triangular, the Picture shown of the hupmobile shows a curved engine cover. Would that make a difference?

Hood looks curved in the old photo to me. Just a difference in old camera vs new, optical illusions, and show car versus a quite-worn-out car. Everything about your grandfather's car spells out Hupmobile 20.

It sure looks like a 1909-1910 Hupmobile Model 20 to me

Maybe David Coco can ring in on this one - his beautiful white 1910 Hupp was one of the first I had seen up close.

I later transported a black 1909(?) Hupmobile Touring for John M. (Buddy) Walton, Jr. from New Orleans to his daughter in Marietta, GA sometime in the late 1980s or early '90s.

The fender line of these cars is very distinctive !

I believe that later Hupps had the headlights mounted higher in relation to the radiator and fenders.

...and 30 Hupp...good call on the tall filler neck for the radiator.

I recall that David's Dad made a new firewall, from rosewood if my memory serves - it was beautiful !

Page 86 in Floyd Clymer's Treasury Of early American Automobiles shows the little 1909 Hupmobile model 20 at $750.00. The ad print shows the car sans top, lamps and windshield. That was all you got for the $750.00 Probably another $100 to outfit as shown in the photo of your grandfathers car.

Guest Macwildstar

Great.. ill check with mom to find out if she knows when that photo was taken.

Im sure its sometime around 1908-1912. That just might nail it down..

The car has more than 1 years use on it,,,several,I think,,

Is that some ribbon OR,,?? on the radiator cap,,?,Suvioneer??

The gauntlets ,,the hat,,the posture,,the car and the man are friends,,comarades,,,,

Snow is not melted,,,the car is out early,,,there is an occasion,,I think,,,

Cheers,,Ben

Guest Macwildstar

The gauntlets ,,the hat,,the posture,,the car and the man are friends,,comarades,,,,

Cheers,,Ben

I was talking to mom today.. she said they saw a car title with Hupmobile on it, in a box

that contained some of her dad's stuff.. shes going to look for it,. she thinks it might

be the title for the car.. (if they had them back then)..

If so, it might answer the question of what year it is..

Cheers,,Ben

Given the road conditions of the day, to me that car looks like it could only be a year old.

• 3 months later...
Guest Macwildstar

Guys, Here is proof of what kind of car it it is. Now we know it was indeed, A Hup Roadster.

This even has the Manufacture serial number listed! Thanks so much for every one's help. Still not sure of the year, but at least we know what it is!

post-98996-143142506237_thumb.jpg