Short Obituary

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

My wife says I will have a very short obituary: "Fred's dead, cars for sale." :eek:

sj59.jpg

A friend of mine locally owns one of the largest antique tractor collections in the state of Texas. A local TV station did a feature on him and after the camera panned around his property showing approximately 500 antique tractors, many with wheels higher than your head and very early rare steam propelled tractors that look like railroad locomotives, the interviewer asked the man, "What's gonna happen to all this stuff when you die?" He replied, "I know what's gonna happen - my wife will post a notice in the paper, "Funeral at 10:00, sale at 2:00."

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

People have often ask if any of my cars are For Sale. I reply, "talk to my wife at my Estate

Sale". Tip for others in this situation: There is a thing called "Separate Writings" that you

can put in your will that allows you to have a modifiable list of who gets what. If you include

those words (Separate Writings) in your will, you can change the benefactor at will. So, be

nice to me, express an interest in my cars and join AACA.

Guest Henry White

Be careful what you tell them now, because in the event of a divorce those numbers take on a meaning you never wanted. I've seen it many times.

Words we use today to justify expenditures will come back to bite ya later.

Honey, now that the Vette is restored it's worth about $5K,,,,,,,,,,,,, no more.

We once restored a very expensive car for a customer whose wife did not understand car love. Our instructions were to move the decimal point one place to the left on all bills, etc. He paid $50000.00 for the unrestored car but reported $5000.00 to the wife. Same with all the invoices for restoration we sent him.

We once restored a very expensive car for a customer whose wife did not understand car love. Our instructions were to move the decimal point one place to the left on all bills, etc. He paid $50000.00 for the unrestored car but reported $5000.00 to the wife. Same with all the invoices for restoration we sent him.

Wow ... makes me feel really lucky that my wife understands the concept of "cubic dollars" and why they might be expended on an old car.

An electrician at work collects (hoards?!) stuff same as most of us and the man's taste is eclectic. Running joke is whose estate sale will take longest, mine or his...:rolleyes:

One of the kids (26) says makes no difference as long as they're not the same day, and he has time to build his bank account back up a little between them! He intends to become caretaker of a lot of it.

I guess I should just go ahead and give him all the old tube electronics before I kick off... Gave him a late-40s tube Zenith AM-FM that I had duplicates of last summer and the young'un is tickled that he can listen to the Grand Ole Opry live on WSM. He'd never seen an AM set that could pull in stations like that thing does. He also understands now that "clear channel" does not mean a radio conglomerate.

I honestly do not know what I'll do with the cars and all their spares and ephemera.

Remember all these mis-informed heirs will try to sell your Corvette for the $5,000 you told them. On the other hand I always find heirs with a $5,000 unrestored car that they think is worth $150,000. Why? because that's what they were told. Plus they saw one on TV from the Scottsdale auction. They justify it buy adding, that a $199 Earl Schriebe paint job and a $99.00 set of Rayco seat covers and it will be identical to the $150,000 one sold on TV.

From my prospective I rather find the $5,000 model