Cracked engine head...

mrcvs

I had originally posted this in the Ford Model A section, but it actually could apply to any automobile...

I have a 1930 Model A in which I poured a small amount of radiator fluid into the radiator, having assumed water is in the radiator (just purchased it, but did not know for sure if water or if some radiator fluid was in there already -- smelled faintly of radiator fluid. Thought it would be enough, as winters usually don't get super cold for prolonged periods of time. Of course, the coldest temperatures in twenty years last week. You guessed it. The head cracked, at the very least! I did not start the car after pouring fluid in it as I did not have the key with me at the time, so what other damage might I have caused? I don't think the radiator is damaged, but I don't know for sure.

Any ideas where to get an ORIGINAL head, and any ideas as to what damage this might cause throughout?

You will need to pressure check the system. you might get lucky and only have cracked the head, but it's likely that the freezing damaged a lot more

Next time, if the car is inside out of the wind, just a 100w light bulb [incandescent] or 100-150w incandecent flood light next to the engine or pointed at the engine water jacket will provide enough heat to keep the engine above freezing. toss a furniture or moving blanket over the hood and radiator. or drain the engine and make sure it drains fully.

GregL

If you don't want to put in antifreeze drain the engine and radiator. Don't just drain the rad, check on the side of the block for a tap or pipe plug. Chrysler made flathead sixes have them and will crack the block if you don't drain the block and the rad.

As far as the head goes there should be lots of Model A heads around or, the old one may be saved by the stitching process.

When I was a kid an old guy told me about a liquid called 'water glass' You could get it at a pharmacy.

He told me to pour a couple of quarts in the radiator and it would seal a cracked block.

He was right, I used it a few times during the years of my youth.

A crack in the head is probably not a structual issue,,Just a water leak,,

Clean the crack,,,Vee it out,,an solder it,,,

Be sure it is tinned well and that the solder sticks,,

I have seen this ''cure'' some nasty breaks,,

Cheers,,Ben