coker tire feed back

07 HD

Here's a set of 7.10 X 15's. I was really happy when the narrow ones came out. They are old now and I plan to replace them next spring.

015.jpg

I wore out four 8.20's on my Electra in 9 years with 12,000 miles and bought 4 more 2 years ago.

You can save about $200 buying them through Summitt Racing. They have a lower price than direct and no charge for shipping.

I can't see your cars too well in the picture but around $900 gets 4 correct new tires. If you blast and paint the wheels add $300 to be safe. So I'd probably go 1200 bucks on either car if you decide to sell one

Coker has thousands of satifised customers......All the ones who have not had to excersize the lifetime warranty they offer. I had an absolutely horrendous experience with them trying to get a tire with an obvious manufacturing defect replaced. The warranty is a joke. They have tires you can't find anywhere else and good for them for serving the antique and classic industry in that way.

Check out http://www.dbtires.com/ as an option. If they don't stock the whitewall you want, they can custom make whatever size whitewall you want in a radial.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I have had good service from the Coker tires on my cars with no problems. My 51 Ford Woodie has the Firestone variety and have been on it for over 20 years. It has had very good storage in an insulated garage, but the tires still look like new with no cracks. Probably have only about 5000 miles on them. My 40 Buick Roadmaster has BF Goodrich about 10 years old. I have kept the whitewalls up using Westleys Bleach white and they are still very white.

Edited by michel88
mistake on brand of tires (see edit history)

Coker tires and other choices here: http://www.widewhitetires.com/

Price includes shipping...a BIG plus.

Bias ply will last only 15,000 miles, but will still be intact and safe after 15 years; Radials will last 40,000+ miles, but will start internal break down after 5 years.

If you buy radials be sure to have them supply the date code on each and every tire...you don't want to start with 2yr old tires (2 months is my limit).

Willie

Guest shadetree77

I put a set of Coker Classic bias ply's on my car a few months ago. I've put about 2000 miles on them in that time with about 700 miles of that being interstate time, and so far everything is great. I love the way the bias tires make the car handle. You can tell that the suspension was designed for bias tires. Anyway, I had my tires put on at Coker and customer service was great. Quite the opposite if you call their "technical help" line. The guy I got didn't seem to know what he was talking about. I can't speak on the warranty as I haven't had to use it but I did pay the extra 10 or so dollars per tire to get the extra road hazard warranty. Their two whitewall cleaning products work very well too.

I just replace my 6.50x16 tires and decided on the Bias Ply Firestone Deluxe w/ 4" whitewalls. Coker and others had them for $205 ea. + shipping. Summit and others were $205 with free shipping but averaged $9 oversize/weight fee per tire. I wound up ordering them from Collectors Auto Supply at store02.prostores.com paying $207.38 ea. Including shipping. Powder coating the wheels while the tires are off is the way to go since blasting them is included in the price. Yes tires are expensive!

post-60373-143142252179_thumb.jpg

Bias ply will last only 15,000 miles, but will still be intact and safe after 15 years; Radials will last 40,000+ miles, but will start internal break down after 5 years.

If you buy radials be sure to have them supply the date code on each and every tire...you don't want to start with 2yr old tires (2 months is my limit).

Willie

I respectively submit . . .

My family had not problem getting "tires" to last on our cars. The OEM USRoyals on our '61 BelAir got over 20K on them. The BFG replacements did much better. By the time we got our '66 Chrysler, I'd acquired a tire tread depth gauge from some magazine subscription spiff ("Popular Science"?), so I measured the OEM Goodyear Power Cushions on the Chrysler periodically and projected their ultimate mileage. From the earlier readings, mileage projections were well past 45K miles, but as more wear accumulated, that projection became shorter, but we did replace them at about 40K with tread still on them. NEVER had any problems getting tires past 40K miles on that car, even the Golden Sonic bias plies which were replaced with BFG Silvertown Belteds. No real road hazzards, but a few flats. Alignment was always kept up, as was tire inflation pressure -- 30frt/28rr, which is NOT factory spec, but what I found to work best on a 55/45 f/r weight-distribution vehicle.

Back when all we had was bias ply tires, it was not uncommon to see worn "car tires" on some farm implements, such as "grain drills". They never got over about 15mph, when going from one field to another on county roads, so all they had to do was hold air and support weight. If some cords were showing, then loosing air might be more prevalent. When they "gave out", you found another used car tire (15") to go on the implement wheel. Certainly, there were genuine "farm tires" for those things, but for many back then, THAT was a "luxury" and also a sign you might have more money than sense (as the used car tires worked just fine).

Certainly, back then, we had no need to worry about "dry rot" as the tires were worn, in normal use, well before the new-standard 6 year timeframe. At least in the 12K miles/year "normal use" orientation, back then.

So, the "point to curiously-ponder" might be . . . why does a bias-ply tire with polyester ply cord material last (and is purported to be "safe") 15 years when a radial tire with similar composition ply cord (usually the "radial" cords) last only 5 years? Or might it NOT be the polyester cord, but delamination of the "metal" ply cord from the rubber surrounding them? Might this mean than "fabric-belt" radials have the same longevity as bias-ply tires? Where might the "fiberglass-belted" tires figure into this situation, radials and belted-bias ply tires?

Bad thing is that with the oil prices being what they used to be, tire prices have not really adjusted back downward, it seems. Additionally, many major brands are NOT making 15" tire sizes in "Buick" sizes any more. Even some of the larger 14" sizes are disappearing, too! Yet some Asian brands are still making them, but how long can this last? This leaves many of us with the prospect of paying $200+/tire just to have a daily-driver '68 LeSabre (for example) driving around on decent rubber, rather than the former $75.00/tire from a few years ago. Even if we might justify the extra expense as Bernie suggests, it's still a big chunk of change if you have more than one car to worry about. NOT to forget that IF they sit too long, they'll be permanently flat-spotted, turning that whole car into one big "Detroit Vibrator" at 35mph.

I don't disagree with Bernie's orientation at all! Just that it's still an "expense" to spend that much money for tires.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Willie

Hmmm.…

In that case, I'm glad I've got bias plies…