Baby's Got A New Pair Of Shoes!!

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

She made it guys!! Just got home a little while ago. Almost 150 miles of road and no problems whatsoever. I left this morning with my Wife following me. I got on the interstate and got her up to a steady 60 mph. We stopped about half way there to eat breakfast and check over the car. No problems and we got back on the road. Stayed UNDER the normal temp. range the whole time. Made it all the way to Coker Tire in Chattanooga, TN. My Wife headed to work (she works across town at the Volkswagen plant). I waited around in the lobby area checking out all the cool vintage automobilia and cars and they were finished a few hours later. Would have been sooner but seems they were having serious problems changing the tires on an old Packard. Forget about asking the man who owns one, wouldn't you really rather have a Buick? Lol. ;)

Anyway, I took the first picture outside of the Coker Tire building. Then I drove across town to eat lunch with my wife at the VW cafeteria. I call the second picture "In Enemy Territory":P. I drove all the way home at a steady 60 with no stops this time. An hour straight of interstate time. She ran a tad bit warmer this time but it was hotter outside at this point so that explains it. It still never got outside of the normal range.

I went with Coker Classic 3 inch white walls 7.60x15 bias ply tires. I wanted the bias ply because one of my goals when I bought this car was to truly experience what it was like to drive it back in the 50's. For that to happen, I had to go with the bias ply's. I've got to say, I love these tires! The difference in handling is night and day. Sure, it wanders a bit when you hit a groove in the road but it's such a softer ride overall. And I can actually turn the wheel in a parking lot without blowing out my shoulder now! It's time to do some cruising. I'll see you on the road guys!!

post-75106-143142189911_thumb.jpg

post-75106-14314218992_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

When I first saw the title of your thread, I thought, "Oh no, whitewalls are going to make the paint look awful." Nope, the patina'd beauty just shines right through. I'm pleased you like the way the Old School tires run and congratulations on another long shake-down run, with no problems.

Does Mrs. Shadetree really commute 75 miles to work?! Wow, that's the cost of country living, I guess.

Guest shadetree77

Thanks guys. I can't tell you how excited I am. I just wish I had more time to drive it before Winter! I'll get in at least a month and a half. Guess that'll have to do. :)

Rob, truth be told I was worried about that too. But before I made my decision, I photo-shopped some white walls on the car and spent a good bit of time flipping back and forth from the picture with black walls to the one with white walls. In the end, I liked how it looked. It was like the finishing touch on my current vision for the car. It's likely going to be in this form for a couple of years while I save up the money for paint and chrome work. My way of looking at the car right now is, in a word, unexpected. As in, at first glance you wouldn't expect this car to have a fully restored underside and engine compartment. The fresh, clean white walls are like a little hint as to what lies underneath the patina and original interior. And as for the Missus, she commutes around 60 miles to work. 120 round trip. I added the extra mileage in my estimate because I did some running around up there today. It's extremely far, but the job at VW is worth the trip.

Straight eight, the car does have quite a bit more pickup upon initial acceleration. It now requires much less pedal to get it going from a stop. I won't be winning any drag races anytime soon ;), but I can tell a difference. I was on the interstate today and felt something I've never felt before in this car. I put the pedal down a bit to pass someone and felt a momentary surge in acceleration. Kind of surprised me as I've never felt the car do that!

Hey Beer-breath, that 52 has no stator control, passing gear or switch-pitch...that started in 55. ;)

Whoops.

Insert foot in mouth (once again) regarding my knowledge about different year cars (with technically different transmissions).

Patina cars STILL look good with white walls, at least.

Beer Breath...out.

Guest ole buick

I use to live and work in Chattanooga and drove by Coker every day. You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful area of America.

I absolutely love your ride. I think it has a great look and a great stance. I hope that the guy who restored his Mom and Dads car sees your car with the hub caps.

Guest BigDogDaddy

Sounds like a great trip ! I like the look too. And currently the patina'd look is " in ". Some people spend a fortune to have a paint shop make their car look just like yours. You got that " cool " look for free. ;)

Guest Mrs. Shadetree
I've heard the VWs produced at the TN plant are top-notch cars--good job by your wife and her colleagues! Keep it up!

Thanks! That's encouraging, a lot of people don't even know we build cars in the US.

I love it there, however they do give me a hard time about owning a Buick.

Guest Mrs. Shadetree
Beer breath...I love it...however, that may be a bit too generic of a term for this crowd.

:D

Indeed, case in point the liquor/beer stealing at the breakfast :)

Guest shadetree77

Thanks for all of the positive vibes and comments guys. The more I look at it with those white walls, the more I love it. What a weekend!! First the trip to Coker for new tires, lunch at the massive VW plant, then a car show Saturday, an evening visit with the Wife's grandparents that night, and Sunday dinner at the local drive-in with the family. I'd say I put old Lucy through plenty of testing this weekend! She passed with flying colors too. She ran cool and strong the entire time. All 330 miles with no problems. This is the most amount of time this car has been on the road since Lyndon Johnson was in the oval office. Amazing!

We attended a car show at the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame on Saturday. It was an hour and a half trip through the North Georgia mountains to get to Dawsonville. Lucy pulled those mountains effortlessly. It was an amazing experience driving through those curvy, tree-lined mountain roads at full speed. Fun stuff my friends! Lucy even won a trophy! I placed in the top 15. Pretty cool. That night my Wife and I visited her grandparents. Her grandpa was a mechanic for most of his life and he really enjoyed seeing the car. I promised him a ride next time as it got dark soon after we got there. Sunday night, me, my Wife, and my parents piled in the car and went to dinner at the local drive-in.

I have had an awesome time this weekend. Still have a few small bugs to work out but definitely nothing major. I just can't get enough! I took a few pictures and some video of my first night drive.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_JlUeUFewHc?list=UUi0L2vXjOeC5sg5KtAodMpw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

post-75106-143142192607_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142192616_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142192625_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142192634_thumb.jpg

Guest ole buick

What would you take for the shrunken head, that is so much better than fuzzy dice. Great videos and car. Have you thought about clear coating it. Idon't know anything about it but you see these guys doing it on the car shows to preserve the car.

Great Job.

Guest Rob McDonald

I... can't... stop... myself... "Pardon me Roy, is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?" Sorry, that joke was old when Lucy was new.

Guest shadetree77

Thanks guys. We had a lot of fun this weekend.

Willie, you bet. I'll fit right in with those two dufuses they have doing Sonic commericals nowadays!:D

Donald, I won't be letting go of mine any time soon but you can click the following link to get your very own: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shrunken-Head-Hanging-Black-Mini-Skull-Decoration-Ghoul-Decor-Hair-Tribal-Man-/290878526936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43b9b615d8 . I briefly considered clear coating but seeing as I intend to paint in the next year or two I don't think it would be worth it. The actual rust on the car is minimal. I don't really like the way the clear coat makes it look either. Kind of darkens everything. I think I'll just keep giving her a wipe down with fresh oil every once in a while and let it go at that.

Rob, worst.....joke.....ever!:D:cool: I was right down the road from the choo-choo when I was at Coker though.:P

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Thanks! That's encouraging, a lot of people don't even know we build cars in the US.

I love it there, however they do give me a hard time about owning a Buick.

I am a VW & Buick owner--I like 'em both, and they certainly both have their places in the automotive enthusiast world!

I am very glad to hear that work at the TN plant is going well!

Two thumbs up!

Guest shadetree77
I like the picture at the drive-in. If it weren't for the modern car in the background, you could swear it was taken in 1952. Great picture.

Here you go Roy. I got bored and used some complicated editing programs (haha!! used simple paint program!;)) to edit out the modern cars.

post-75106-143142196941_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

It would look good as a framed poster. Great idea John. Chris, unfortunately there are no waitresses on skates at our local Sonic. Even though they do pay extra if you wear skates. The only time I've ever seen one of the car hops on skates there.....it was a GUY! Oh man, times have changed! :rolleyes: