Belgian car discovery

gilletman

Hello to all old car enthousiast. I would like to get in touch with owners of Belgian made cars/motorcycles in the states, global wide. recently discovered remains of probely onley survivor of a Frenay car in Finland, and a catalog of this car in Belgium. Also an Elgé was found. all storry's and pictures on my blog www.bloggen.be/pre1930rally. storry's and pictures wil not be publisched if not wanted. We would like to find out wat cars are stil around worldwide. Minerva, excelcior, FN, metalurgique, Delin, vivinus, germain, nagant ........ over 300 brands have been produced. Hoping on lots of responce. gillet.man@live.be

Are there no Belgian Vehicles in the states? Surely thre are.

Not many. I'm not certain when it changed, but certainly through the 30s the tariff on imported cars was extremely high (it may have been 100%) making them nearly impossible to sell. Some of the most expensive cars (Minerva, Panhard, Hotchkiss, Mercedes etc) came in to satisfy wealthy Americans and some almost certainly came back from Europe as the personal property of wealthy Americans, but as a percentage of the cars on the road here, they were statistically insignificant. In order to avoid the tariff problem many expensive European cars were built here under license ... Berliet (by Alco), the American Mercedes and the American Napier, Fiat (only the biggest models)...Rolls-Royce of America etc. The Hotchkiss was licensed to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company but never actually built.

Before WWI, newspapers and fiction writers almost never mentioned the make of a car in a story. With so many different makes on the road, it was otherwise almost impossible to avoid offending another car maker and potential advertiser. So, heros and villains alike were nearly always described as driving a "Panhard", partly because the name was known and understood but also because there were so few of them (and their customer base so exclusive) that there was practically no one to offend.

There were effectively (i.e. statistically) no middle price or cheaper European cars sold here. Add in the low survival rate of pre-WWII cars and the fact that many older collectors don't use the internet and I'd be surprised if you found more than a handful of the cars you're looking for.

Edited by JV Puleo
typo (see edit history)

Not many. I'm not certain when it changed, but certainly through the 30s the tariff on imported cars was extremely high (it may have been 100%) making them nearly impossible to sell. Some of the most expensive cars (Minerva, Panhard, Hotchkiss, Mercedes etc) came in to satisfy wealthy Americans and some almost certainly came back from Europe as the personal property of wealthy Americans, but as a percentage of the cars on the road here, they were statistically insignificant. In order to avoid the tariff problem many expensive European cars were built here under license ... Berliet (by Also), the American Mercedes and the American Napier, Fiat (only the biggest models)...Rolls-Royce of America etc. The Hotchkiss was licensed to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company but never actually built.

Before WWI, newspapers and fiction writers almost never mentioned the make of a car in a story. With so many different makes on the road, it was otherwise almost impossible to avoid offending another car maker and potential advertiser. So, heros and villains alike were nearly always described as driving a "Panhard", partly because the name was known and understood but also because there were so few of them (and their customer base so exclusive) that there was practically no one to offend.

There were effectively (i.e. statistically) no middle price or cheaper European cars sold here. Add in the low survival rate of pre-WWII cars and the fact that many older collectors don't use the internet and I'd be surprised if you found more than a handful of the cars you're looking for.

WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY WITH A HANDFUL LEADS !! maybe there are som cars in musea, colections ...:o

Quite a few of the European cars were sold through Britain to the Commonwealth countries, ie. Australia, New Zealand etc and some of these have survived as money and cars were in short supply in those days and they did not manufacture any cars of their own.

Consequently, as the weather in most of these areas is reasonable (no snow) what they had was kept in good condition and used for many years and then stored whereas in the US there were plenty of cars at a reasonable price and the old ones were discarded regularly.

Unfortunately a lot of these survivor cars have been exported back to Britain in recent years because of their value.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

I'm often amazed at the rare and unusual cars that turn up in Australia. One English expert suggested the car companies shipped all their odd, unsaleable and one - off models down under so they could dodge embarrassing requests for spare parts!

He could br write, some metalurgiques, lonts of minerva and fn cars found a way to australia.

This is my Metallurgique. Four cylinder, overhead camshaft, four speed gearbox, four wheel brakes. Factory guaranteed 70 mph over a measured half mile.

The first photo was taken about 18 months ago and since then it has been going through a full chassis off restoration including total a rebuild on the engine and gearbox.

Hopefully it will be painted in the next few weeks and be back on the road.

post-58798-143142127156_thumb.jpg

post-58798-14314212717_thumb.jpg

post-58798-143142127179_thumb.jpg

There was a drop dead gorgeous Minerva sedan on display at the AACA annual meeting a few years ago. It was dark green and was used, when new, in a film with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. At the time, it belonged to Drew Lewis.

There was a green 1927 Sport Sedan and a 1928 Minerva Town Sedan at Hershey October 13, 2007. I would describe the 1928 car as a medium blue-gray with wide whitewalls and a removeable cover over the driver's seat. It had landau irons on the top but I seriously doubt it was a folding top. The 1927 car had a Pennsylvania license on it and the 1928 car had a New Jersey license on it. They were both very elegant automobiles. Tell me what some other Belgian makes were and I will look for photos in my files.

There was a very fancy 1929 4-door 7-passenger sedan in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland Ohio in 2005. It was a very heavy car and had dual rear wheels on it. The curator of the museum told me it weighed about 8,000 pounds and that was the reason for the dual wheels. It was a two-tone blue car with fittings such as the door handles made of German Silver.

This is my Metallurgique. Four cylinder, overhead camshaft, four speed gearbox, four wheel brakes. Factory guaranteed 70 mph over a measured half mile.

The first photo was taken about 18 months ago and since then it has been going through a full chassis off restoration including total a rebuild on the engine and gearbox.

Hopefully it will be painted in the next few weeks and be back on the road.

We had contact before about metalurgique cars. I can inform you that Mr Slaats did found a rear axel for his restauration project, so that now he can start his project. I did send you some pictures and prospects about metalurgique. The yelow metalurgique was sold an i dont know where it went. Regards from Belgium www.bloggen.be/pre1930rally

There was a green 1927 Sport Sedan and a 1928 Minerva Town Sedan at Hershey October 13, 2007. I would describe the 1928 car as a medium blue-gray with wide whitewalls and a removeable cover over the driver's seat. It had landau irons on the top but I seriously doubt it was a folding top. The 1927 car had a Pennsylvania license on it and the 1928 car had a New Jersey license on it. They were both very elegant automobiles. Tell me what some other Belgian makes were and I will look for photos in my files.

There was a very fancy 1929 4-door 7-passenger sedan in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland Ohio in 2005. It was a very heavy car and had dual rear wheels on it. The curator of the museum told me it weighed about 8,000 pounds and that was the reason for the dual wheels. It was a two-tone blue car with fittings such as the door handles made of German Silver.

Other Belgian Brands; Metalurgique, FN, Minerva, Germain, Delin, exelcior, Imperia, Frenay, Elgé, d'aoust, Antoine, Belga, Bastin, Bovy, Compagnie liegeoise 'd'automobile, Dasse, Duryea,DANNEELS

D'AOUST

DASSE

DECHAMPS

DE COSMO

DE COSTER

DE LAMINNE-DUCHENE

DELECROIX DELIN

DEMASSEZ

DEMATI

DEMISSINE

DENONVILLE

DENS

DESIGN BENOIT COINTREAU

DE VOGHEL

DE WANDRE

DE WOLF

D'HEYNE & BOVY

D'IETEREN

DIETZ Charles

Dimma Design

Direct

DS

DUBRAY

DUCHATELET

DUNAMIS

DUREYADANNEELS

D'AOUST

DASSE

DECHAMPS

DE COSMO

DE COSTER

DE LAMINNE-DUCHENE

DELECROIX DELIN

DEMASSEZ

DEMATI

DEMISSINE

DENONVILLE

DENS

DESIGN BENOIT COINTREAU

DE VOGHEL

DE WANDRE

DE WOLF

D'HEYNE & BOVY

D'IETEREN

DIETZ Charles

Dimma Design

Direct

DS

DUBRAY

DUCHATELET

DUNAMIS

DUREYA

DYLE & BACALAN

DYLE & BACALANEAGLE

EBS ECLIPSE

EDRAN CARS

societé ELECTRIQUE-MECANIQUE AUTOMOBILE

ELGE

EMMEL

ESCOL

L'ETOILE

EXCELSIOR F.A.B.

F.D

FEYENS François

FEYENS T.

F.F.

F.I.F.

FLAID

FLANDRIA

F.N.

FOIDART & ROSENTHAL

FONDU

FORD

FORD MOTOR CY

FRANCO BELGE

FRENAY F.A.B.

F.D

FEYENS François

HERMES HERMES (MATHYS-HERMES)

HEYMANS

HOFLACK

HOFKENS

HOUGET and much more

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest BillSides
Hello to all old car enthousiast. I would like to get in touch with owners of Belgian made cars/motorcycles in the states or world wide. recently discovered remains of probely onley survivor of a Frenay car in Finland, and a catalog of this car in Belgium. Also an Elgé was found. all storry's and pictures on my blog www.bloggen.be/pre1930rally. storry's and pictures wil not be publisched if not wanted. We would like to find out wat cars are stil around worldwide. Minerva, excelcior, FN, metalurgique, Delin, vivinus, germain, nagant ........ over 300 brands have been produced. Hoping on lots of responce. gillet.man@live.be

Hi I am in Australia and have 13 Minervas plus a couple more as bits only. I have Minerva cars ranging from 1904 to 1932 and a 1903 motorbike. Minervas were great cars and sold well in Australia and survived in large numbers despite out harsh conditions but many have been sold off abroad in recent years. Many under estimate the Minerva and get scared of its remarkable sleeve valve engine but they should not as they last almost indefinitely and even tired ones will go well and if used as they were meant to be which means hard. They then don't smoke or give trouble. I do a great many miles in mine trouble free, most models are reasonably fast and able to mix with modern traffic having superb brakes and even the large ones are quite economical in addition. I welcome any correspondence about these fine cars.

Bill Sides Melbourne

Hi I am in Australia and have 13 Minervas plus a couple more as bits only. I have Minerva cars ranging from 1904 to 1932 and a 1903 motorbike. Minervas were great cars and sold well in Australia and survived in large numbers despite out harsh conditions but many have been sold off abroad in recent years. Many under estimate the Minerva and get scared of its remarkable sleeve valve engine but they should not as they last almost indefinitely and even tired ones will go well and if used as they were meant to be which means hard. They then don't smoke or give trouble. I do a great many miles in mine trouble free, most models are reasonably fast and able to mix with modern traffic having superb brakes and even the large ones are quite economical in addition. I welcome any correspondence about these fine cars.

Bill Sides Melbourne

Hello,

Thanks verry much for your reply. Could you contact me on gillet.man@live.be to correspond direct.

rgds.

About 40 years ago I knew a pre-1914 Meisse. This had been in one family for many decades, and they were determined not to part with it. It was a small 4 cylinder car, and it looked as if there had been care and craftsmanship in its creation.

Ivan, there was a feature on a veteran Meisse in Restored Cars a few years ago, and I think that one had been in the same family since new. I think it came from somewhere North of Melbourne.

Ivan, there was a feature on a veteran Meisse in Restored Cars a few years ago, and I think that one had been in the same family since new. I think it came from somewhere North of Melbourne.

Ivan, Craig, Miesse cars are verry rare, even in Belgium. Onley a handful survived. If you had more info about this car, would be most welcome.

PS on july 13 there is the anual MINERVA day at Antwerp Belgium. I wil post some pictures after the event. If anyone is interested to join, you could apply entil june 19. Verry nice day with great food, cars and storry's. All pre war cars and motorcycles welcome.