Rust-oleum Contractor Grade

Guest chrishanlon

Guest chrishanlon

Hi everyone - I thought I could pass along a helpful hint. If you are like me you do not like taking apart a car and the putting rusty parts back in it. About a year ago I bought a $70 gallon of chassis saver paint. Good product, but I found coverage terrible and cost per foot completely insane.

Two weeks ago I ripped out the seats in my 52 Hornet to paint the floor. For the heck of it I went to my local farm store to see what they might have. They carried four colors of the rustoleum contractor grade - black, red, orange and brown. I bought a gallon of black for $29.

This product is crazy good and the coverage is incredible. I ended up painting the seat frames too. The stuff absolutely will not scratch. I tried to do so with a screwdriver. I literally could not even make a scratch mark.

After the project I tried to find out why I had not heard of it before. Nearly impossible to find data on it and it is not carried in any major retailer. The only thing I can figure is that it would completely end the 3.99 quart business they have.

Anyway - thought you guys might appreciate a good tip - and, no, I don't work for rustolem or a farm store - haha!

Chris, do you have a part number, or maybe a picture of the can? I went to the Rustoleum site and couldn't find a Contractor Grade. There are Commercial Rustoleum paints, Industrial paints, and Hi Performance paints.......didn't know Rustoleum made so many different types of paint!

Guest chrishanlon

Hi all - it is "high performance protective enamel" - the can was stamped, manually, "contractor" sorry about that

Guest vacabill
Chris, Would that store you bought it at be Tractor Supply? Howard Dennis
Wal Mart has it online for 27.88. They may have it, in the store. My local tractor supply didn't have it Edited by vacabill (see edit history)

Are you referring to this stuff?

Rust-Oleum Professional 1-Gal. Flat Rusty High-Performance Metal Primer-182769 at The Home Depot

Not necessarily the color, but the specific type of paint?

I have found this stuff at my local Home Depot in several colors. The local farm/tractor store has it, too.

Actually looking at it, on the 1930 i was working on I had used the Rust Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel Spray, Gloss Black, as well as the Satin Black. I really liked the way it Sprayed, and the fact that I could holdthe can upside down and still get a good even spray & coat !! Plus the Cans are a little larger so you get mor paint :) No problems with it sticking to the surface and staying put !!

Of Course I used it over the Rust Oleum Professional Series Primer !!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest My27ChryslerModel50

I have nothing but high praise for Rust-oleum paints..The large color assortment and finishes are perfect for us car restorers.... Ive used many of there spray paints on various restoration project and its allways exceeded my expectations! The only thing I recommend to all is to prep the area clean wipe with a tack cloth and let the paint dry thoroughly. Rust-oleum paints tend to take longer to dry so give it a few days to harden..

Edited by My27ChryslerModel50 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

I used another "well-known" universally available product on my truck frame - body parts before that - guess I should've known better!!! - a total waste of time, money and effort! Use the RustOleum. I have a stockpile of Hard Hat Spray Bombs! Haven't used them yet. 'Nuff said.

I used Rustoleum primer and paint on my Model A Ford chassis in 1965 and it still looks good. The gloss is gone but it looks proper in satin, and it hasn't peeled or flaked off. I used the primer on the body then also and the last time it was painted it about wouldn't come off!

• 1 month later...

Car in my Avitar was painted with Rustoleum gloss white and OSHA safety orange in 2005, as a "joke". Well, it's held up so good that I don't plan on repainting properly until it needs it... at this rate, another 20+ years. Touch ups are a cinch too! Sanded to bare metal, used bare metal primer (multiple coats, sanding between each) then 6 layers of top coat (cheap foam brushes). I wet sanded with 1200 grit and polished a few spots. Not a show car, but presentable (ask Curt). Total cost of $250 for paint, brushes, sandpaper, primer, masking tape, etc.

I spent a few years painting cars and I have to say the only place I would use Rustoleum is on undercarriages or interior parts like seat frames. It is an air dry enamel with no hardner and some day if you guys have to strip one of those paint jobs you will find out why I don't like it. If you have to sand it down, be prepared to strip the car back to bare metal because that's usually where you're going to end up. Maybe you'll be happy putting another coat of Rustoleum on it if it's working for you, but it's going to be a serious PIA to take that vehicle back to a proper automotive finish.