What was the first car to have a merged door to fender bodyline?

karguy12

Guest my3buicks

leading the way in American cars would have been the Buicks with the Pontoon fenders as eary as 1942 - while it was not a smooth side it was still incorporating the front fenders into the doors. The coupes and convertibles more so than the 4 doors. The 38 Buic Y Job first made use of the fender continuing and flowing onto the door.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

There, someone in another thread mentioned the 33 Pierce Arrow Silver Arrows, their styling would certainly fit the bill

While the Silver Arrow definitely fits the bill, it was not really a production car. It was a concept car of which five examples were made. They were all hand built in a an amazingly short three months.

It was one of the earliest cars I became fascinated with.

VM_Pierce-Arrow_SilverArrow_reference.jpg

If you accept the 42 Buick then would need to also accept the '34 Desoto Airflow. That said I still like the 46 Kaiser for the first real slab side production American car

post-31022-143141934139_thumb.jpg

Note that the painted grille on the Fraizer was said to be '46 only.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

May 5th, 1946: The new Crosley CC models begin rolling from the assembly line, making Crosley the first new postwar production car it also had the slab side design, just days ahead of Kaiser-Frazer.

1st_46_Off_Line.jpg

46CC.jpg

Sounds like Crosley and Nash would be first for slab side. The Clipper and Sweep Spear Buicks have lines from their front fenders that flow back into the quarter. The Sweep Spear is obvious, but the Clipper had fenders that the top line flowed into the door and towards the bottom their is a line that flows past both doors into the quarter. 1942 GMs also had full fenders that flowed into the doors as well.

post-58388-143141936409_thumb.jpglarge_1941%20Packard%20Clipper%20Darrin%20Convertible%20-%20rvl.jpg

The above example of a '41 Clipper is misleading. It's a Darrin creation that has had extensive body work including having the front fender profile extended. Packard did not offer a convertible in the 41-47 Clipper line.

post-54089-143141936682_thumb.jpg

Photo: PackardInfo.com

Edited by JD in KC
Added Photo of '41 Clipper (see edit history)

I have the newspaper clipping the one photo I posted came from somewhere but I apparently wrote down the wrong date. I checked one of our Crosley historians to see if he had it and he sent me this one from the Kokomo (Ind.) Tribune for Monday, May 6, 1946 instead. That would make the official first one coming off the line as May 9th not the 5th which would have been a Sunday.

May_9_1946-1st-Crosley.jpg

post-30820-143141937715_thumb.jpg

The 1947 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe was apparently introduced in April 1946 but I am having trouble finding actual production data to back this up. Many sources suggest that Studebaker was earliest to start production of the new post war styling.

Still searching....

• 9 years later...

What about soviet car Pobeda? First production car was build in June 28, 1946.

Here is info from 1cars.org

GAZ-M20 Pobeda is a serial car produced by the Soviet state. Production was carried out by the Gorky Automobile Plant from 1946 to 1958. The model was one of the world’s debut mass-produced cars with a 4-door pontoon-type body, which had no separate wings, steps and headlights. It was produced in different modifications, which can include an open body such as “convertible”.

GAZ-M20 Pobeda - wikipedia

GAZ-M20-Pobeda-8.jpg