Woo Hoo! I am now a Dodge Bros 1928 Victory 6 coupe owner!

Guest BretK

I am trying to become more acquainted with the various terms and names assiciated with a steam engine. Is what you have there a "Stephenson link"? Do you have a "Johnson bar"? and is that a "fire tube" or a "flash" boiler. Please bear with me.

Ray.

Guest BretK

Good eye! Yes this is a Stephenson link valve gear, there is a Johnson bar or reversing lever in the cab. This is a fire tube boiler (99+- % of all locomotive style boilers were this type ) . I am happy to answer any questions.

Bret

Here in the U.K. a Road Locomotive would be a very rare sight, as would a steam dome unless it was on a railway loco. Our traction engines have the cylinder block mounted on top of the boiler barrel but the casting itself acts as a dome to separate steam from water droplets (hopefully!) I believe your U.S. traction engines have steam domes?

Ray

Guest BretK

A question, were the split rims originally a silver color, even though the wood spoke wheels were painted green?

I found the cheapest and very effective way to degrease things is with the cheapest paint thinner you can find.

Put the "injector" hose into the paint thinner and let 'er rip.

I have only a 1400 psi Coleman cold water pressure washer and you wouldn't believe the gunk I washed off that way.......without taking paint with it.

The injector on mine works only the low pressure setting so I soak down everything, wait a few minutes and blast it off.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hello Bert,

Very nice car u got good luck on it.I have had good luck soften hard rubber by soaking it in 'MENIAL SPIRITS' I had some spark plug boots that are install on the distbuor cap soak them for a day came out soft.

Vern From ROMAR.

Keep it stock it will turn heads. I put a rhode island harness with turn signals built into it about 150.00 extra. Just follow all the tags and drawing they send great job. I also put a 3rd brake and turn signal unit in the back window. I like the safety factor. there are a lot of idiots out there. I was at a show 2 weeks ago and there was a 31 nash that was all original It was really cool to see that car like that.you will have a good time with this car. My 28 vic6 4 dr love it.post-61393-143141919936_thumb.jpg

Guest BretK

Wow that is gorgeous! Thanks for the tip, I am going to order the harness from ri wiring with the turn signals.

kevin b......so glad to see your car fixed after hearing about your accident!!

Yes, the rim should be silver (at least that's what I've been told) even if your wheels are green. Our wood portion of the wheels were painted the tan with the center hub painted green. Have fun with your car!!

Shannon

Guest BretK

I have been searching the forums for a way to clean and preserve the original paint on my coupe. It has many pinholes in the paint with rust fish eyes galore. i had suggestions of kerosene and WD 40 to CLR and others. After many hours I decided to give Evapo-Rust a try. I applied it with a green scotch brite pad (don't cringe) and massaged it into the bullseyes. Also of note there was a spot on the passenger side door when I got the car that someone had rubbed to the primer. After finishing I applied meguires ultimate finishing compound twice and took these pics. Based on where it started I don't think it looks too bad.

post-93142-143141926771_thumb.jpg

post-93142-143141926787_thumb.jpg

post-93142-143141926802_thumb.jpg

post-93142-143141926817_thumb.jpg

Hi Bret. I fully understand where you are coming from. The 'oily rag' look is gaining acceptance over here too. Once an original finish is lost, it is lost for good and too often a nice patina is sacrificed for a 'new' look. I like your approach to restoration. My point is that if, eventually, you feel the paint is too far gone you still have the new paint option. Paint is, after all, only a protective and decorative finish which has a relatively short life span. Indeed, many older restorations are now attaining a character of their own. On the other hand, I feel we should also respect the views of those who want to present their vehicles in the condition that manufacturers like Dodge Brothers would have done. It all adds interest to our hobby.:) Ray.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BretK

Getting in to the mechanicals so I haven't posted in a while. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the soldered up float with a new one from Meyers. Rebuilt the vacuum tank, installed new thermostat and re packed the water pump when I had to take it off to free up the adjustable. Fan belt pully. Pulled the oil pan, de bunked it and welded up a couple pinholes I found after degreasing. The brake master cylinder and wheel cylinders are at the brake shop being worked on. The wiring harness is on order from Rhode Island wiring. However I hope to have the existing patched up to run temporarily. The gas tank has been por15d. And the sending unit is off at surr in Ohio. I rebuilt the vacuum wiper motor. The shocks are next on the list. Whew!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BretK

Progress, but at a cost. I cracked the distributor base installing the new plate. That was a $400 mistake. Then the starter needed rebuilt, $250 plus another $200 for a new starter contact button. Grrrrrr! I hate this pot metal! The brakes are back from the shop, new cylinders at the wheels a rebuilt master cylinder, and re-lined brake shoes $1080. But they do look nice. Too bad they will never be seen.

Edited by BretK (see edit history)

Guest RonB

Is that the original laquer finish ? . In the 1930's folks used kerosene to keep the car shiney and it worked well with laquer. When a car was sold to a dealer,they would get a car painter to spray raw laquer thinners onto the car. this would soften the surface and when cut and polished it came up like new. laquer like this hasn't been made for years so there is little chance of doing this again .

Guest BretK

It is lacquer. Ad as of today the car runs! Two mile since restoration! Woo Hoo! Found out the speedo doesn't work, so I have to add that to my list of future repairs. But all in all not bad so far.

Guest BretK
post-93142-143142008748_thumb.jpgThanks RJ! I drove it to work today! Only 7 mile round trip, but she rode nice and hit 50 mph on the GPS. Speedo doesn't work, (another project). And I have to get the generator thing figured out.

In the UK, the "Automobile" magazine has banned the use of the Words Icon and patina because of their overuse and incorrect useage when applied to cars. They use the words"oil rag condition " or "mature". Your car certainly fits the oily rag and mature condition descriptions perfectly and it is to be applauded !.I hope you dont circumb to the temptation to restore it. :-)

My Dads 2nd car was victory six sedan 6 or 7 decades ago ,and I'm in the process of restoring a customers 1930 roadster and as far as I can see these are a well designed and well built car,leaving yours in this condition will prove you dont need a high buck resto to have a great car..Well done!.

I have collected every copy of 'The Automobile' magazine since it came out in 1983 and I have not read anything about a ban on words but if you are right who is it aimed at? Advertisers? Interesting news.

As it happens, 'The Automobile' has announced it's fourth "oil rag" run. This event is always over subscribed. This Victory 6 would be an ideal contender. Does anyone know of similar outings for completely original cars anywhere in the States?

I concur with RonB. Please try and resist the temptation to restore this 'time warp' car. I remember listening to a guy at a show some years ago who asked "when do you plan to restore it?" I succumbed and regretted loosing the car's original finish to new paint.

Ray.

Page 13 may 2013 issue ,Matthew Bell explains why and why he doesn't use the I word or the P word..ha ha

Mike Worthington Williams (who must be approaching 90 now ) is an old pen frend from amny years ago when I was restoring my 1923 Palladium .

Yes, Ron. I had forgotten that well written and irreverent look at "icons". An amusing article which I enjoyed reading again. I completely agree with Mathew Bell's criticism of the new "mould breaking" Range Rover Evoque. One of the great pleasures of the original design is it's all round visibility; to sacrifice it on the alter of styling is to miss the point of the best 4x4 as a utility vehicle with luxury touches.

I have had a couple and drive one today but I wouldn't buy a new Evoque - even if I could afford it !

For those who don't know Michael Worthington-Williams; he is far more than just a motoring historian and has been instrumental in 'taking on' officialdom on behalf of many ordinary people wishing to restore their old cars to the road. His recalcitrance in the face of crushing bureaucracy has won him immense respect throughout the old car world.

Ron, I do remember the Palladium; that's a rare car!

Edited by R.White (see edit history)