Miracles Do Happen

Earl B.

Dandy Dave, thanks for telling me about the car, but, that's just too much for me to get into. Someone will know who sells pieces and parts (I hope).

Ben, he had a 1972? Monte Carlo he was thinking about selling. It had a 350 or 400 big block. I honestly didn't pay attention to what he was saying because I knew I couldn't get the car.

Mike,, thanks for the info...I'll do it now....

As to the fish tailing, I think old tank hit on some of it, if not all... The car had pulled great until we switched onto 421 south, and that's when it started. When I slowed down, all was ok. I kept it on 455-50 for a long time. Later, I increased speed some, and it did fine.... Too, I'm sure the tires were never trued on that trailer, nor were they balanced, which I'm sure added to the bouncing. It was a bouncy time before the car was loaded.

I have the group 31 commercial in 2 of my 55's. It fits perfectly in the tray and the top hold-down fits too. The hold-down bolts may not be long enough. This has stud terminals but screw-on terminals to fit your cables are available. With 700-1000CCA it is more than adequate. At 75 lbs it is very heavy and hard to handle.

Willie

Ben, I guess I'd better start using Windex on my eyeballs... I had not even noticed the cars. They were there and in the picture by total accident. The morning was so foggy, I was just trying to get a good picture of the mountain. Out of the 5-7 I took, these 2 were the only ones worth a hoot. I never saw the cars when I was taking the pictures. If I had, I'd probably have been flagging them down. I wanted to get a picture this go around, since I have NOOOOO time set to go back up that way. I should have taken the pictures when I went up to look at the car, it was such a nice day, but I was alone and just wanted to get where I was going.

Edited by Earl B. (see edit history)

Congrats on gettin that baby home. Did the owner of the truck have anything to say about the drivers seat being pinched in the middle when you returned the truck.

Are you sure the car hadn't shifted to one side before the fishtailing began, 'cause I'm speculatin that when you made the turn onto the other road is when the car shifted and because the weight was not centered on the trailer any longer it caused it to sway. Lots of things can start a trailer to fishtailing, such as heavy winds or winds from a passing semi, or letting off the gas at a certain speed. Waking up and jerking it back onto the road can do it also.:rolleyes: Good thing the rocker panel cleared the fenders or you'd have some puttying to do.

54 and 55 sweepspears, same series, interchange. Before you buy one let me check in the barn.

She sho is perty. :)

First off, thank you MrEarl!! Now, for some news..... In a bunch of papers in the trunk of the Roady, I found a 1997 Buick Club Roster. I also found a letter addressed to Frank. So, Sherlock here found the 1955 76Rs in NC and found Frank Coney. I looked up the name on the computer and found he was living in NC, and got a phone number for him. I called, and sure enough, BINGO... a former owner. We had a nice talk and I learned lots of things about the car, lots of good, and a bad or two, but, at least now, I know things to watch out for. From what he said, and what I already know, I must be the sixth owner. Gee, I'm only the fourth owner of the 1932 Packard!! Well, barring some tragedy, it will be a while before the seventh owner gets her!!

Frank said all the bills for everything he had done were in the trunk, but, they were regrettably missing. The car is currently at a local mechanics to go over it with a fine tooth comb to check things over. It will have new oil, filter, points, condensor, plugs, etc. when it leaves. I told him I want the car running just like it did the day it rolled out of the factory. I've had a busy few days! haha I'll keep everyone posted as things progress.

I went to the mechanics today to see what had been done, and he told me to start her up... She fired up like a Buick should, and idled beautifully. The brakes still have to be checked out and I want the gas tank dropped and cleaned out. The 3rd owner who I spoke to on the phone said it had not been done. Work on the garage continues.

You can often find Type A fluid in gas stations on the wrong side of the tracks. I use plain old Dexron III in all of mine.

Technically, most of the underhood parts are satin or semi-gloss. For judging purposes, I believe they call gloss paint "over-restored" and do not deduct for it. For cleaning purposes, glossier (semi) is way easier to clean. I personally like (and am currently) using different sheens on purpose for a twofold reason. I like the contrast in blacks, and I figured that originally they would have been sprayed at different locations, thus different paints were used.

Mike, they took up the tracks around here years ago..they did leave the train depot, though.. haha.. you have no idea how small this town is... Maybe I could get lucky in some other town.. and thanks for the black paint information. The glossiness is probably like Packard green engine paint.. it changed with each delivery. I imagine Buick Apple Green was the same way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shadetree77

Found this on EBAY. It appears to be from CARS. Hope this is what you needed. If not, I'm sure some of the resident '55 guys will be along shortly. :)

post-75106-143141892249_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen, thank you for the help. I've checked ebay along the way, but I guess they slipped that in without me looking.... haha...

I didn't know about the bumpers.

When I decided I wanted a newer, able to get on the road and go car, I wasn't sure what I wanted, but when I'd come into the Buick rooms and read posts, I'd always see the comradery and helpfulness that the member show here, that's when I decided on a Buick. I think Buick folks are really special! And if you'll excuse the pun, some are even Super!;)

That's the one. It needs bumpers at the 4 corners...sold separately.

Of course. It would just be silly to lose a separate sale with additional shipping.

Also separate are the holddown bolts, but at least they come with the required wingnuts and washers.

Guest Rob McDonald

Lovely, but there's now an awkward clash with your username. No matter, Packards and Buicks belong in the same boat - great cars with great style and substance.

Guest Rob McDonald
I'd come into the Buick rooms and read posts, I'd always see the comradery and helpfulness that the member show here, that's when I decided on a Buick

Funny you should mention the "feel" of these Forums. When I was sniffing around a Packard Station Sedan a while back (missed my buying opportunity, fortunately as it turns out), I tried to warm up to the Packard Forum. Just didn't click. Not to put too fine a point to it, it seemed they knew the price of everything but the value of not so much.

Buick folk happily admit we're probably wasting good money on our old beauties but we're fine with that because the payback is deeper than dollars. Anyway, you all (Canadian for y'all) know this, which is why we're here.

Rob, my name doesn't work out so well in the Studebaker forum either. haha.... maybe Spabu or Bupas? That would catch them all haha....

The Packard was the first car I bought, so, that's why the name. When I first had the road car thought, the '55 Buick was the first car to mind, but with everyone talking about how rare they are, I figured I'd go on down the line to other cars I remembered, or to those I had pictures of and didn't remember, or had before I was born. I'd read the posts and threads and there would be questions never answered... Here, it looked like so many were willing to help, so, it's because of y'all (I am southern! Ask Progoogoff or MrEarl) I waited for a Buick to show up. I was very lucky and I know it, with the car only about 4 hours from home...Thank you all....

You know... there will be many questions to follow...

Edited by Earl B. (see edit history)