Bleach

Vintage Hearses, Funeral Coaches and Flower Cars On Main Street Anywhere: A Pictorial

More from Google...

An Imperial flower car. I wish that there were more pictures of this one available. I love the lines on these Imperials - there simple, sculpted and elegant. I could see myself behind the wheel of this one:

1973FlowerCar.jpg

My brother used to have a '37 Ford hearse, so here are some Fords from the web:

Van_Leersum_Ford_Hearse_1942.jpgDeputy-Director-Don-Moser-prepares-Seagle-Ambulance-Hearse-for-display.jpg

oo1932FordAutoCoach00.jpgoo1938-Sie-sc-400.jpgoo1935-Sie-cc-400.jpg

A number of these pics were from Coach Built .com - always a fascinating site:

Coachbuilders, Coach Building, Coachbuilt Cars, Coachbuilding History, Encyclopedia, American Coach Builders & Coachwork, Carriages

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I used to drive my friends '48 Packard Henney hearse frequently. He would drive it out to Lake Street, in south Minneapolis, and then stop a quarter of a mile away from Porky's Drive In and have me drive it the rest of the way. He simply couldn't stand all of the scrutiny of being watched by everyone while backing the Henney into a parking space. Pulling into a space front first was out of the question. If he would have pulled the car in front first like a tourist, he would have been laughed at and derided to point where we would have to leave. You simply had to back in in one smooth motion. Course adjustments along the way always brought choruses of tsk-tsk. Such was the culture of hanging out at Porky's. Here's a '48 Henney:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3497/3272722225_1ae6605a0e.jpg (I messed something up, so you have to click on the link instead.)

I relate all of that to you so that you'll believe me when I tell you that hearses can be frightening to drive. Anything that's that top heavy can be a real handful. Take a look at this '59 Cadillac hearse thinking about rolling over while negotiating a curve -- while still in the cemetery!:

HaroldMaude_044Pyxurz.jpg

How fast do you think it's going, six, maybe eight MPH? Can you imagine how very little it would take to roll a rig like this?

I find hearses interesting, not because of any preoccupation with death, but because they are studies in the art of coach building. So, in a related, and somewhat lighter vein, I thought I'd show a few custom built station wagons.

56-Lincoln_Custom_Pioneer_DV-07-CC_00.jpg

364611-1000-0.jpg?rev=2

SIA-56CadillacWagon_lede.jpg

3934763470_2c487096ea.jpg2411464845_cf3444947b.jpgcadillac-eldorado_station_wagon6.jpg3101094506_fa26f62a51.jpgCADILLAC-STATION-WAGON-1960-cadillac-11136749-1024-651.jpg

1976_Cadillac_Castilian_back.jpg

Cad+77+wagon+ad.jpg55_Cadillac_Custom_Viewmaseter_DV-07-CC_01.jpg

Check out the rear of the roof: 4103757354_ee18cf78f6.jpg

This was built for a President of Mexico:SIA-BohmanSchwartz_lede.jpg

72waga.jpg

Albert Einstein's farewell ride.

001151108.jpg

Vintage hearse and driver photo taken about 1918. Looks like a bell on the radiator ornament.

Hearse_pg50.jpg

Late 20's Mercedes hearse.

mercedes-benz-bestattungsfahrzeuge-oldtimer-05-0057.jpg

1954 Opel Kapitan hearse.

opel_k11.jpg

I wish I could find a larger picture of this '49 Buick flower car to share. I'd also really like to see it with the hood down. It's elegant and slightly understated, just as you would expect a Buick to be. Personally, I don't think there are many other similar rides that I'd rather own:

1949+Buick+Flower+car.jpg

Buick lovers don't need no fins!

The one I found is only slightly larger with other views nowhere to be found. It must be a very rare car.

1309392702_1602dea73e_z.jpg?zz=1

A most unusual vehicle, a funeral bus.

1395218036_8c5ddf91ab_b.jpg

\

1394322703_c2f845b10e_b.jpg

1395219040_538cd48319_b.jpg