Hershey car swap meet 2013

buicknewbee

Hello, My wife and I are planning to go to Hershey for our very first time this October. I think the dates for the meet are October the 9-12. We are thinking about taking the whole week off and staying that week. We will be the oddballs since we're in our thirties. I have a 48 Plymouth and she has a 57 Buick special. I personally can't wait to see all the old cars and antique signs and such. Sounds like you can walk for days and not see everything. Very excited! Are there other attractions that we should definitely see that Monday and Tuesday before the swap meet starts? We like to do things on the cheap (we have to because we have two kids 3 and 8years old) like hotels, food, and such. Any suggestions are welcome that will make for an interesting week in Hershey PA. Darren

You might think about camping as low cost motels aren't available. If you can get a space you can rough it like me(live in your camper on site). There are facilities around and lots of eateries. You need to be a member and it might be too late for this year but if you hurry somebody might be able to get you in. You also need to bring at least a few things to sell.Good luck and hope to see you there.

Newbee, you will love the experience. As Dave points out hotels in the immediate vicinity are notorious for jacking rates during Hershey. I would suggest you check out the Lancaster, PA area - we have stayed there for years and trade a 30 - 35 minute drive for a choice of lodging, and no long lines or waits at restaurants after a long day. For me this has worked out really well. Also, plenty to do to fill an afternoon or even a day if your wife does find herself looking for some non car oriented time - or plan an extra day, just know a lot of the Amish/PA Dutch attractions are not open on Sunday.

Some don't want to be that far from "the experience" but we have found a lot of show goers doing the same thing - just a thought. 15 minutes on the Internet should get you all the info you need on Lancaster, about a half hour's drive due east of Hershey.

Flea market starts setting up on Tuesday so you can get part of an extra day in if you don't mind doing some parts twice. Not everyone will be open on Tuesday but a fair number will be by early afternoon.

AACA Museum should not be missed.

As has been mentioned by others, camping is the cheapest way to stay in the area but driving out 20 miles or so will save you a lot on motel cost. I went a couple of times in mid 60s with my parents and back then camping was not as popular and you had to stay out a hundred miles or so to find a room. Been camping at Hershey since 72.

You and your family will LOVE Shady maple Smorgasbord on route 897 & 23 in East Earl, Lancaster County. Bring you appetite! You should also visit and ride the old trains in Strasburg also in Lancaster County. Be sure to ride the open air train cars. It's also where most of the Harrison Ford movie 'Witness' was filmed. Then take the family up to Reading, Berks County and check out the famous Pagoda and it's scenic views.

Guest Model T Nick

Lancaster and Gettiburg for site seeing. Tuesday is the must exciting time at Hershey, the flea market goes from a parking lot to a small city with streets and intersections. Get a map and draw a circle about an hours drive from Hershey and start calling Motels plan on about 30 to 60 mins drive. Harrisburg west at the turnpike is were I,ve the most luck.

• 3 weeks later...

As Old Car Fan said, once you go you are hooked, and when you get home you start counting the days to Hershey. The cars and the automobilia is awesome. My daughter has been going with us since she was two. She will walk some of the fields with me, but she finds much to do with my wife. They like Zoo America, Hershey museum, the outlets and Chocolate World. They look forward to this as much as any other vacation. Don't miss the opportunity to extend your stay in the area to visit Amish country, Gettysburg and even Philadelphia. We always extend on one end of the vacation to go somewhere else for a day or two. D.C is not far as well.

As Old Car Fan said, once you go you are hooked, and when you get home you start counting the days to Hershey. The cars and the automobilia is awesome. My daughter has been going with us since she was two. She will walk some of the fields with me, but she finds much to do with my wife. They like Zoo America, Hershey museum, the outlets and Chocolate World. They look forward to this as much as any other vacation. Don't miss the opportunity to extend your stay in the area to visit Amish country, Gettysburg and even Philadelphia. We always extend on one end of the vacation to go somewhere else for a day or two. D.C is not far as well.

Well put with great suggestions.

I always wanted to go to Hershey and finally had the opportunity in 2004. I've been every year since except for 2007. I was miserable that whole week thinking about Hershey and vowed I would not miss another until I can no longer make the trip. I just turned 63 so I hope I have another 20+ years to go. If you like cars, it is addictive, no question. I started the thread about the number of days to Hershey in 2012 and here we are 6 months to go. Don't know where the time goes.