We ID'd the bike... what is the Speedster?

1937hd45

John Lewis is correct. The cowl lights confirm it as a 1922 Model 45 KISSEL Speedster. Also known as a "Kissel Gold Bug". A 1921 has different fender curves. My 1923 has different cowl lights, but is otherwise the same. Who are the persons and where was this taken, if you know please. And what is the fancy car behind it? A Maxwell?

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

Notice the car has the sliding "Fat Man" steering wheel. When we showed the 1920 Gold Bug we restored it took some talking to convince the judges that such a wheel was factory original on the "Bug". Ralph Nader would not be happy with that, likely plate glass, windshield with no framing around the top but that is also original.

Restorer 32,

I don't know if the Fat-Man steering wheels were a factory option or not. There are several period-correct pictures of Kissel Gold Bugs with Neville "Fat-Man" steering wheels mounted on them, so these were certainly common. Anyone who has attempted to get into a Gold Bug will attest to the need for mitigating steering wheel interference when getting into or out of!. I just bought one to mount on my 1923 Kissel Gold Bug in fact, because they look better i think. Kissel steering wheels are 18" while most Neville Fat Man steering wheels are 17". There are some very rare 18" Nevilles, which show up on ebay from time to time.

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E.

In the original post they were identified as Clifford Ireland and Captain McMahon 4/5/22. For some reason a new thread was started.http://forums.aaca.org/f169/interesting-motorcycle-346988.html These pictures are from the library of Congress and most are set in Washington DC and surrounding areas.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Dave,

I believe that the pictured General's car is either a Daniels Speedster or a Roamer Speedster. It's definately not a Kissel. Both Daniels and Roamers had radiators which similar to those on a Kissel, but heftier. I've seen a Roamer's radiator which looked like the pictured one and was a solid aluminum casting. Maybe others can identify better.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

Thanks Dave,

This is definately an early 1920's Daniels Speedster. Looked it up last night. Probably 1920 or 1921. There are only a few that exist today. Google the name and you'll see its twin. I think they had early 8-cylinder engines and were custom made, heavy cars. Their horse collar radiator shells were one piece cast pewter.

Note that it is RIGHT HAND DRIVE ! This pic would definately have an interesting story.

Ron Hausmann P.E.