Blast from the past...

wex65

An interesting afternoon. The 55 Special is in having a new interior fitted. Looks good so far.

Anyway, got a call from the guys fitting it to pop in and see what they found inside the passenger rear door panel, first image below. I blanked out their family names and phone number.

Cool I thought, dialed the number (which by now is 27 years old, from 1986) and what do you know, the guy himself answers, Darrell. He is now 70 but remembers the car like it was yesterday.

Spent 30 minutes talking to me about how he was driven in the car from when the second owners, Dave and Rema owned it, in 1959. Says he thinks he has photos of the car back then when it was just 4 years old.

He remembers the twister than blew though Joplin in the 70s and pock marked the driver's side windows, that glass is still in the car. Real blast from the past. Funny how after that call the car 'means' more. He sent me a photo this evening of the driveway in to which the car was driven every evening for 30+ years. He was blown away to think the car is still running and looking good. Sending him some photos as he and his wife apparently often wonder how it is doing.

He told me the old lady that owned it from 59-86 was infamous in Joplin for never driving above 35. SHe kept the car garaged and wouldn't drive it in rain. It shows!

ANywa, I thought this was a nice way to reconnect with what was a very early owner. The guy that sold it to me had owned it 17 years so it is starting to look like I am about the 5th owner. Not bad for 58 years.

post-85740-143141734221_thumb.png

post-85740-143141734236_thumb.jpg

wex65,

That is a great history / experience. Your car looks GREAT!

Any chance you might be able to give him a try behind the wheel again or even a ride? If you do, take some pictures and post some of his (soon to be yours).

I might steal your Blast from the Past caption for my car rather than highjack yours here.

Doug

BCA #35039

Thanks Doug.

Unfortunatley he is still back in Joplin where the car came from . I am in WV so unlikely. Will post any photos I get.

Paul

wex65,

That is a great history / experience. Your car looks GREAT!

Any chance you might be able to give him a try behind the wheel again or even a ride? If you do, take some pictures and post some of his (soon to be yours).

I might steal your Blast from the Past caption for my car rather than highjack yours here.

Doug

BCA #35039

This is a great story. I was able to connect with the original owner of a '50 Pontiac that I owned. I learned the entire history of the car. He explained why the grille had a small dent, the complete owner history and lots of other interesting information. I've tried to contact a previous owner of my current hobby car. No luck this time. Enjoy your car.