Have a Favorite Dashboard?

Hudsy Wudsy

Prewar40, I meant to say earlier how incredible that Gardner dash was. I know that I've never seen that one before -- it's one memorable sight. I recall that at some point in time the Singer Company used some very Egyptian Art Deco motifs on their sewing machies. I never thought about it before, but I wonder now if all of that didn't derive from the discovery of King Tut's tomb in some way.

Yes it gets my vote but I must admit it is a little plain. It's certainly nicer than anything that Ford currently produces.

Here's mine. It's completely original and unrestored.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]175452[/ATTACH]

I like it. No dash pad to sag or crack, just a dust off and polish once in a while...last forever.

That is the flight deck of a Lockheed P2V-7S Neptune.

That was a tough one.Bingo!http://www.bluejacket.com/usn/images/ac/p-z/p2v_lockheed_neptune_vp65_jun1970.jpg

My old defunct squadron.

Your close (USN Aircraft), but no cigar :confused: Count the loud levers (beneath the purse...). :eek: Thats 4. Turning, not burning, so it must be a P3 ORION.... :D

post-67240-143141733292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle_Buck (see edit history)

I like it. No dash pad to sag or crack, just a dust off and polish once in a while...last forever.

Exactly!

Amazingly even the inside of the dash where all the wiring, instruments, etc are, is amazingly clean and nearly dust free. It looks like a brand new car in there.

As almost all of you know, after Cords demise both Graham and Hupmobile took turns trying to resurrect their lines by employing the Cord body dies. It's a little interesting and, probably, a lot sad to see how little each of the cash-strapped companys did with Cords remarkable dash.

Here's the Cord again:

288571186_39e5da154b_z.jpg?zz=1

Now the Graham Hollywood:

1012rc_03_o+1941_graham_hollywood+.jpg

Lastly, the Hupp Skylark:

hu410107.jpg

It's probably a good thing that Willys never took a swing at it.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

Simple is nice too.............

Nash Metropolitan..........

post-30819-14314173373_thumb.jpg

Two interesting facts of the Metropolitan dash.

1. The complete dash was stamped out of one sheet of metal

2. The same dash was used throughout their production of 8 years.

post-30819-143141733734_thumb.jpg

Some very cool dashes.

What year is that Zephyr, and has anyone ever kept the lines and flowed them into a console?

THe '38 Olds is certainly innovative for the time

'60 Imperial, quite the opposite of a phallic symbol

Imperials do have some cool dashes especially with the luminescent lighting

post-58388-143141733838_thumb.jpg

post-58388-143141733844_thumb.jpg

I also like the '59 Chevys and '68-69 Ford Ranchero/Fairlanes.

Hard to pick a favoritre though.

Graham, I like that one, too, though I've never seen it before. It's quite tasteful in it's honest simplicity. I'm glad that you posted it. It's nice to see something from down under. I'd like to see more than just the North American examples. There probably are endless beautiful examples from all over Europe, as well.

Graham's photo reminded me a little of a somewhat interesting dashboard from '48. To begin with, this is no big deal, but you may find the evolution of Cadillac's dashboards in the postwar era worth a glance. First, I'll show you a dashboard from '47. It's in keeping with the style of prior Cadillac dashboard designs:

1947%20Cadillac%20Series%2061-2Xgry-dashR_mx_.jpg

Next, the '48 dash that I'm referring to:

dash.jpg

Lastly, a more Cadillac-like '49:

3264885523_c36155fe9b.jpg

It''s my guess that folks at Cadillac lost their taste for the '48 version in time, or maybe they found the basic design limiting or difficult to evolve.

Graham's photo reminded me a little of a somewhat interesting dashboard from '48. To begin with, this is no big deal, but you may find the evolution of Cadillac's dashboards in the postwar era worth a glance. First, I'll show you a dashboard from '47. It's in keeping with the style of prior Cadillac dashboard designs:

1947%20Cadillac%20Series%2061-2Xgry-dashR_mx_.jpg

Next, the '48 dash that I'm referring to:

dash.jpg

Lastly, a more Cadillac-like '49:

3264885523_c36155fe9b.jpg

It''s my guess that folks at Cadillac lost their taste for the '48 version in time, or maybe they found the basic design limiting or difficult to evolve.

No, Cadillac found out that Chrysler was going to have that instrument cluster for 1949 so they switched to a new type for 1949. Trouble with that was Plymouth copied that one for 1951.

1949 Chrysler dash;161358d1282459352-cs5-hdr-pro-chrysler-1949-sedan-dash-dd-hdr-middle.jpg

1949 Cadillac dash;images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy3VcGkOR5Hvpc53lZC9D2w6PcgxTRh6BGEHxqrPKDnFGJf3fBAw

1951 Plymouth dash;

1951PlymouthDash.jpg

Guest GrabberOrangeBullit

Overall (given many models and decades of dashes to choose from as favs), Ihave to go with Jaguar dashes. The exotic wood and the old world roadster vibe cannot be beat!

Bleach, when I look at that Chrysler 300 dash, I can't believe that people insist we haven't been visited by aliens before.

It was shown that aliens in the 60's preferred Chrysler products over any other make.

You'd be surprised how many Chrysler products were seen in Roswell, NM back then.

Guest GrabberOrangeBullit
I have always been a fan of the 64 Thudnerbird dash but maybe I am biased since I own one :cool:

Bob

Beautiful dash!

(I am also a fan of Jags...love the 80's models)