Have a Favorite Dashboard?

Hudsy Wudsy

• 3 months later...

5-15-13

Dashboards have all been designed to make a statement. The statements range from "I'm ordinary because I'm cheap," to many of the beautifully crafted dashes of the 1930's. Many presented themselves to owner's by avaunt-garde design elements, "Look at me, admire me because I reflect the latest advances in motoring chic," and, conversely, the owner's preferences of the auto signaled that he was the modern, stylish owner.

Moving forward, however, my all time favorite is the space ship flavor of the nighttime view of the 1961 Chrysler, aided with electroluminescent lighting that illuminated the numbers and gauge needles themselves. In addition, it symmetrically placed the TorqueFlite transmission buttons on the left of the steering wheel and balanced the design with the Airtemp air conditioning buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. Don't forget the bubble covered dash and the four out of this world periscope-style rotatable air conditioning vents located on top of the dash.

I attach daytime and nighttime views here.

post-75504-143141901101_thumb.jpg

post-75504-143141901108_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I wanted one of these when I was a kid but never got one.

Forgive me for monopolizing my own thread, but I just thought to Google "vintage toy dashboard" and came up with one you may get a chuckle out of. For my part, I think that it reflects the late '50s- early '60s pretty darn well. Note that it even has windshield stickers:

409_l.jpg

playm1.jpg

My favourite is that of the 1927 314B and 314C Cadillacs. This is because of the technology and artistry of its creation. I do not have the mastery of method of inserting images, but I shall get ask my son to do so. This is a pressed panel of a nickel-bronze with an intricate symmetrical pattern, raised by the pressing, holes for the instruments, and the Cadillac crest in the middle. My deduction is that the metal was deformed into V profile lines in the face die, and this was pressed into walnut veneer which had probably been softened or plasticised by steam. The veneer was probably then glued to the plate, and this was then sanded flat to leave the lines of the pattern a suitable width. The instrument surround was then lacquered. Bear in mind that Cadillac was building around 20,000 cars per year. The 314A was not like this, nor was the 341 of 1928. So they could have made twenty to forty thousand of these instrument surrounds, which is not hand work for skilled artisans. I might test the theory when I get to restore another 314, and if it works I will try to replicate what they did then. I have an EDM machine which can make the dies, and a big enough impact press to deform the veneer. Unless you find an original car that has never been exposed to the weather the inlay is alwys damaged beyond recovery.

Guest ole buick

I have really enjoyed this thread. What a great idea. I love dash boards and I would have never seen a lot of these without this post.

Thanks