unknown Rear end housing

AHa

I have an unknown rear differential housing in NC

Full floating type housing in good condition

Identifying markings on one are C-19 and 6695K drawn on the inside of the hogs head casting The letter A with the letter L emposed over it the vertical of the L laid over the right leg of the A

post-67201-143141719223_thumb.jpg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

It could be Maxwell as Layden suggests, but I believe the brake actuation shaft extended all the way to the flange at the pumpkin. If those had held a shaft that entered into the differential I would have suggested it was a rear end mounted transmission although the size of the pinion flange is certainly large enough to have held one at the end of the driveshaft.

The need for this rear end would be someone that is building a speedster, wants an early style (not a '57 Chev.) and is willing to jump through the hoops to install all the guts from a modern rear end being able to choose the gear ratio.  This conversion is lots of effort and not many fellows are willing to do that kind of work any more.  Are we simply getting lazy or old?

25 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Are we simply getting lazy or old?

Yes we might be getting old and lazy but I would add that there’s maybe a 1% need for this within the community - so without need what’s the point? Now for that 1% it’s going to be the find of the year if it’s not priced like It’s made of unobtanium 

Hey guys, I'm not stupid. I realize I've got two halves of a rear end from the teens with no axles or hogs head. I don't know what it fits. I can either sell it for scrap metal or offer it here in the hopes someone will recognize it and want it. If you don't need it, why do you feel compelled to talk it down? It is worth something to the right person; its just a matter of finding the person who needs it. I am willing to offer it for sale when it would be much easier to sell it for scrap. I appreciate all the help I can get to identify it. It is in remarkably good shape. The guy I got it from was paranoid about people stealing his stuff so he took everything apart so nobody could steal anything complete. I couldn't find the rest of this differential.

I believe this is a Weston Mott product and yes Maxwell used full floating differentials.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, alsfarms said:

The need for this rear end would be someone that is building a speedster, wants an early style (not a '57 Chev.) and is willing to jump through the hoops to install all the guts from a modern rear end being able to choose the gear ratio.  This conversion is lots of effort and not many fellows are willing to do that kind of work any more.  Are we simply getting lazy or old?

That's great news.

• 3 weeks later...

AHa, I think it is great that you thought enough about it to save it.  I know that it is just a housing but, I have to tell you not to long ago I was looking for anything that I might get for the 11Maxwell AB.  I am not sure what it is but hopefully someone will figure it out. Thanks.