54 Super — driving project. Hopefully.

Guest kursed56

Guest kursed56

I picked up this 1954 56R Super a few weeks backs and finally got it in the garage. Some of you guys will recognize my posts from the 54 Buick Highway forum. Ive done a couple cars but not to this extent. Sold my 2 Harleys and figured if I need to run kids around I might as well get something fun, and safer. So the plan is to get it running, drivable and work on it. Hopefully running well enough to drive it to a evening class and learn some body work.

Thought I would start a build/repair thread since I know Ill be needing lots of help and input.

So here it is when I spotted it for sale. Body seems pretty decent, mostly original paint except it looks to have been hit in the passenger side rocker, looks a little squirrelly underneath. Both outer rockers need replaced and some patching in the rear lower quarters. I think I have all the trim and bumpers. I have some extra side trim too. All glass is good and the car looks to really never been messed with.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

photo-7.jpg

Guest kursed56

Here it is getting put in the garage. I was worried it wouldn't go in the steep garage but it made it. Now only if I can do it without tearing the rear bumper off.

IMG_1806_zps611ec8fd.jpg

IMG_1807_zps24e00337.jpg

Guest kursed56

Pulled the spark plugs last night turned it over by hand. Seemed to turn nice and the plugs didn't look too bad either. The old 322 is still holding tight with a full amount of oil in it. The trans is a little leaky. I plan on pulling the pan as recommend by a couple people here before trying to fire it up.

While cleaning it out I found a set of seat belts (was this an option back in 54?) and a license plate of when it possibly ran last. And I need to knock down this crusty paint!

IMG_1815_zpsbce594b2.jpg

IMG_1812_zps1d09b1ee.jpg

IMG_1818_zps8f85e285.jpg

IMG_1814_zpsc0865ed6.jpg

Very Nice Super... You're gonna have a nice car there. Those plugs look like you have some bad wires to me. Did you happen to note which plug came from which cylinder? Also that dog leg rust through is pairly popular on this body. I have to make a similar repair on my 56. I think it's from dirt built up in the bottom of the quarterpanel under the window which plugs the drain holes. You probably want to get into that quarter and clean it out before doing any body work there.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to your progress. Good luck!

Congrats on getting her home. Look forward to following the "build". Looks like plenty of room in the gearage to work on her and plenty of hands to help. Welcome aboard the forum, hope you will consider joining the BCA if you haven't already. And be sure to plan on coming to South Bend in July for the BCA National Meet.

Guest Rob McDonald

NOTSOKURSED, you have a good Old Car eye. I would have passed that car for sale, with its shoe polish "Have Most Trim" claim, without giving it a second look, much less a U-turn. You were able able to see past iis honestly obvious flaws and realize that it's a fine old car, with heaps of potential. I also would have scoffed at the asking price but then, I'm just old.

Just kidding on the boys trade. However, if you do want to consider taking a wife and daughter, in exchange for this Buick when you're done...

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest kursed56

Thanks guys. Im sure Ill be needing lots of input and guidance.

MrEarl, the national BCA events sounds awesome. My parents and siblings all live in South Bend so attending the event shouldn't be a problem. It would be nice if the 54 could attend too!

The kids, all 3 of them are loving the car. My 9 year daughter can't wait to get her hands dirty. Im hoping that I can figure it all out and really enjoy it as a family thing. A car like that is a like a spaceship to the kids, so different than what they are use too.

Thanks again

Figuring em out is half the fun. Probably the better half because you don't spend a lot to do the figuring. Getting the stuff is the harder but more satisfying part.

Seriously, feel free to post questions. Better done before taking the car to just any mechanic. A quick Story: A fellow drove his 35 Sedan to a Buick show my chapter did in 2007. The show was at a local Buick Dealership which had the service department open the day of the show. The car malfunctioned on the way to the show and had to be towed the last few blocks of the 90 mile trip. The service department was unable to help the guy because the car did not have a computer terminal to hook up their scanner ( I kid you not). Of course several Buick guys jumped right in to diagnois the problem and a few seconds later determined he needed new spark plug wires. After securing a generic set and installing them the 35 was back in action.

And I agree with Rob. You should change your name to NOTSOKURSED...LOL

Guest kursed56

Tinkering around with the car I noticed that theres a little antifreeze underneath coming from the water pump and some trans fluid seeping from where the trans is connected to the tube.

Also threw out 2 boxes full of insulation, carpet and crud. How do you remove all that fuzzy glue/tar stuck to the floor/trunk?

That car kind of scares me theres so much to do, not sure where to start. I just need to try and get it mechanically okay so I can enjoy it while working on it.

Guest kursed56

Thanks guys. Thats what I need to keep reminding myself of, just a little at a time. I have the tendency to want to completely tear it apart and do it up. But Id get tired of it and want to sell it. So, Ill attempt to see if she fires up this weekend. Stay tuned and thanks again.

Guest Rob McDonald
completely tear it apart and do it up

NO, NO, NO! Your instincts are spot-on. Tear-downs too often become basket cases. Heed the good advice here - "Might as wells" lead to "While you're in theres" and get in the way of having fun with a old car-in-progress.

Guest kursed56

Thats exactly what I don't want to happen. Basket case-paper weight. Gotta drive it.

So Im going to try and get it at fired up this weekend. I have new: oil, filter, plugs, battery, oil pan gasket. Is that enough to get me started? Or should I replace the plug wires, rotor and cap, condenser, points also?

And, Im just testing to see if it fires, and theres obviously some antifreeze/water in it because its leaking near the pump. Should/do I need to fill the radiator with antifreeze/water?

Going to disconnect the fuel line from the pump too.

Thanks for helping the new guy out.

Part 2: will trunk lid and doors fit from a 1956 Roadmaster? Im thinking they will, but just checking to make sure.

Edited by kursed56 (see edit history)

Although the reverse situation in terms of model than your scenario here's two pics that may help determine if the trunk lids are the same. I would say the initial thing different is the key cylinder location. It also looks like a different angle from the top of the lid to the bottom between these two years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]173307[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]173308[/ATTACH]

Just to show an example of what the "Might as wells" did to me....

5601464018_c2e69dc400.jpg

I Blogged about my adventure starting here:

How it all started... - Blogs - 1954 Buick Highway...

"This is the part of the story of where it started, the actions that brought me and Shelby to our current state. This is the part of the Blog that delves into the slow and gradual motion of taking parts off a car....an advance forced along like the pull from some strong gravity field, an inclination fervently powered by the compelling notion of the "Might as wells""

We buy these cars to drive and enjoy but when you see all the fun that guys are having restoring them one can get caught up in the romantic notion of a #1 restoration. At least I did. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have such a wonderful project to work on with my Dad, friends and even my little ones. Just make sure you have one to drive while doing it.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Nice Blog Stealthbob, and a real lesson learned. It seems just like a story I might have told except the engine in my 56 is still running after 37 years. At least your car will be done someday. Mine will probably go to the next owner with a little more wear and tear than it currently enjoys.

Guest kursed56

Thanks guys. It looks like one of the wires in the dist. was repaired at one time already.

The car turns over slowly and the fuel, amp gauge, blower fan seem to be working but no lights anywhere.

Can I bypass the reistor on the firewall to test it out? With ignition switch on I placed my meter on each side of that resistor and both sides read 12.5. That mean anything? And I'm getting the same on the + side of the coil.

Thanks

Edited by kursed56 (see edit history)

Without re reading my manual, I believe the coil gets a full 12 volts before the car is started, and then runs off 6 volts after it is running. So 12 V on both sides of the resistor do not mean it is compromised. Obviously you need to look for something grounded, and this could be as easy as moisture inside the distributor cap. Pull that off and use the wifes blow dryer to heat up the innards of the distributor and the cap and rotor. Then wipe the grease off the handle of the blower and sneak it back into the closet like I do.