Is this a good trade? Ford Focus for Reatta Convertible

lancemb

Good trade - assuming you have something else to drive when the weather is bad. Not to mention when you want to carry more than one passenger. At this point, I would consider a Reatta convertible to be a 'fair weather' car. Just too many opportunities for leaks. Not to mention lack of crash parts for the inevitable bumps and scrapes of being a daily driver. Even when new, a Reatta was essentially a second - or more likely a third car.

Very good trade economically. You would be trading a car that is losing value every day to one that is not, as long as you take care of it.

Great point. Only problem is I just used all my cash to pay down mortgage to get more favorable refinancing, and I have to pay off what I owe on Focus before I could do the trade. I am hoping I can work something out before it disappears, but not sure it will work out just yet...

I wouldn't worry about a Reatta disappearing any time fast.

I just purchased a 1990 Black/Tan with 11x,xxx miles. It has very nice paint, excellent interior, never driven in the winter, new top [installed by previous owner] as well as head light kits. It was owned by a Buick dealerships owner who gave it to his wife. I paid $4800.00 for it.

I wouldn't worry about a Reatta disappearing any time fast.

I just purchased a 1990 Black/Tan with 11x,xxx miles. It has very nice paint, excellent interior, never driven in the winter, new top [installed by previous owner] as well as head light kits. It was owned by a Buick dealerships owner who gave it to his wife. I paid $4800.00 for it.

$4,800 for 11,XXX miles?!! You are a thief! :)

$15-16 grand easily. More depending on color, condition etc.

Someone check on Marck - he's been sampling to much funny tobacco in NC :)

Have you seen (on AutoTrader, as an example), how long cars with 30..40M miles have been listed for $15K+? These are cars listed for many, many months (8...12..18+ months) that are not selling (asking prices are too high). There's a 1990 black/tan convertible in Palm Springs w/ 47,000 miles in showroom condition asking $12,900 for the past 8-108 months (he dropped the price from $14,900 during 2011). On the flip side, 2 SoCal coupes (both 1989) with 115,000+ miles in great shape are asking $6,900 and I've been their only inquiry the past three months (neither will take less then $6,200).

Prices have increased a little the past couple months but not by much. For a convertible with 40,000 miles, it might fetch around $11,000 today (add $1,500-$2,000 for a S60) but that car will have to be superb - immaculate with barely a crease in the leather.

Dave's purchase is an anomaly. That car sounds like it should have sold for $11K (which is why in jest I call him a thief). But...once the Reatta receives a steady stream of recognition (if it ever will), we will see prices increase comparable to what Allante's are selling for.

There are good deals out there if you look though suspect $5 for a nice 'vert is low market. Don't forget that most have the original top and the air doesn't work. New top and cold a/c are big plusses but suspect those do not get sold often (one is my daily driver).