Can anyone identify this chasis?

Guest Catskill123

Guest Catskill123

My friend cheched the frame over for any sn#s, but couldn't find anything. He did find the number 152 on the left front pass side wheel. and the number 167S on the right driver side wheel.

Good time of year to look,,no poison ivy,,no thorn bush,,few leaves,,no snow,,,yet

Taylor rent all usually has metal detectors,,Good luck,,,Ben

Guest Catskill123

I have a Whites metal detector, Thanks for that idea West! I hadn't even thought a thing about it.

the Marquette Model 28 1912 made in Saginaw MI in 1912 had a 119 in Wheel base also. The above mentioned book states that William Durant started GM in 1908. He started the Marquette Motor Company in Saginaw in 1909 and continued to use the Rainier name until 1911. The Marquette name did appear in 1909 and 1910 hyphenated as Marquette-Buick. The Marquette-Buick name was required to meet prevailing race regulations (what ever that means) when Durant decide to take Buick racing. The Marquette Production car came later as a combination car compiled of both theWelch-Detroit and the Rainier. Which was the work of Durant employee A.B.C. Hardy. Who was instrumental indesigning the new car. The 1912 Model 28 was comprised primarily of the Rainier whereas the other models favored the the Detroit Welch car. In late feb 1912 it changed its name to Pininsular to avoid confsuion with the previous Marquette production.

I have been searching MI archives and patents for a posible parts pruction book for any of these cars.

Guest Catskill123

Does anyone have any experience looking up patents? Have any suggestions as to what to look for? I haven't been having any luck looking up documented items on the Rainier. I'm sure that something had to be patented on the cars. I just don't seem to be getting anywhere. Does anyone know of any major collections of old car material in Mi or NY that might provide some more clues? I'm still trying to narrow the age and exact model down since there are several different parts that I just cant nail down.

Hope to get those pictures wed or thur. Off to take a train to Ruttland Vt tonight. Wont bring one back until tomorrow evening. Merry Christmas to all!

1937hd45,

Have you seen the nice picture of the 1905 Rainier on P. 147 of John Bentley's Great American Automobiles? I'm not saying that's what it is, just that that's what I think of when I think of Rainier. Photo does show the entire R.S. frame rail and that it's RHD. Oh yeah, and Mrs. John N. Cuneo is at the wheel.

The car is posed in a residential area, probably NYC. The caption says she is the: "...most famed woman driver of the day, at the wheel of a stripped, 35-horsepower RAINIER in 1905. This machine -- which used the plush slogan, 'The Pullman of Motor Cars' -- was in production until 1910. Note outside speedometer and cable. (Courtesy GM Photographic)."

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest Catskill123

Lou warned me to get the chassis before the snow came. Needless to say the snow came! I'm still waiting for the Bobcat to get in and pull out the chassis. I did go over and take pictures of the body (depressing) before the second snowfall. Body is a fordoor Model A. Sadly, I lost the pictures when I tried to down load them from the camera. Still waiting on response from farm owner if he knows where motor or body might be. Still trying to find more info on Rainier with little luck. Cant wait to see pics from Locoman.

Guest Catskill123

Absolutely no luck finding any shop manuals etc on the Rainier. I'm extremly curious to see if the chasis is definitely a Rainier or a later modification of said (Marquett Pinninsular). meanwhile I feel like I'm sitting watching the paint dry until Locoman gets those pics, Ha Ha. So close but so far away. I just finished reading Flag of our Fathers and the author John Brady lives in Rye NY. Which is where my 1925 REO Fire truck came from. I'm hoping to get down there soon to check the Rye historical library. I beleive that the fire truck was deployed to Amelia Earhart's house around 31 for a struckture fire.

Guest Catskill123
My friend is back from his trip. I talked to him today and he promised to take pictures this week. Stay tuned. Locoman.

I've been checking constantly for some news. This thread was burning up for so long. When I saw Locomans reply I got excited. HA HA, looking forward to see the pics locoman! If you don't mind could you ask if he can get a shot of the horizontal brake rod mechinism. The part with the funny curved piece on top. I noticed in one of the factory shots the curved piece wasn't incorporated with the part of the rod yet. I think it might have been a later modification. Thanks Rick

Edited by Catskill123 (see edit history)

Guest Catskill123

Wow, 5029 views so far. Amazing! Its been a lot of fun. Does anyone have any suggestions for further clues? Possible private automobile literature collections in the Saginaw area which might have some factory manuals ? Wonder if the NY City Library might have anything. I'll check there.

This is a bit off topic, but I kept thinking that I had never seen a reverse Elliot type front axle on much of anything before the late 1920's and that is I why the front axle of this Rainier seemed so unique to me. I went and worked on the 1917 American LaFrance today and noticed the front axle on the ALF.

post-67726-143139332562_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Catskill123
Catskill - Are you an AACA member? Your quest for chassis ID made west peterson's column. I'd be awfully proud to be a part of the best car mag out there!!

No I'm not, but will be soon! Cant wait to see what kind of info West's column generates. I haven't come up with anything new lately. Snowing today and 50 degree weather expected wed. They had to cancel the Model T Snowmobile meet in Fairhaven VT this weekend because they expect the snow to be gone by this weekend.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...