What is this car?

adam1982

Guest Casper Friedrich

Looks a lot like the 1933-34 rear-wheel driven 1,4-1,8 litre Citroën "Rosalie", but where's the chevron emblem?

The car on the left is also very interesting. The badge may have a digit 8 on it? Also difficult to tell, but is there a stub axle just behind the number plate or is it a sliding damper? Looks cca 1933 -1935 and the coupe body does have an European feel? Marchal pattern headlights?

Looks like an intersting Leon Bollee to the right of the Delahaye. And I think a Peugeot to the right of that, and possibly another Peugeot beyond that. Is that a Bugatti on the far right of the picture. I guess we should be thinking French?

Regards

Vintman

The car on the left is also very interesting. The badge may have a digit 8 on it? Also difficult to tell, but is there a stub axle just behind the number plate or is it a sliding damper? Looks cca 1933 -1935 and the coupe body does have an European feel? Marchal pattern headlights?

I regularly peruse this section and read the messages. Natch, I know nothing whatsoever about these old rides. That is why I only peruse.

I am constantly amazed at the detail you guys are able to discern in these photos. For instance, in the picture that started this thread, the only 8 is see is the first digit on the license plate. Where is there, potentially, another?

What are you guys using to get such detail?

What are you guys using to get such detail?

I make regular use of the Windows Paint feature, expanding photos as much as I can until the detail gets lost. You can also crop photos to focus on specific attributes.

As you can see in the first photo here, the car yet to be identified has a distinctive shield on the radiator with what looks to me like a diagonal sash on it. Maybe someone car ID it from that, but I couldn't track it down myself.

post-30638-143139200679_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143139200682_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143139200685_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143139200687_thumb.jpg

Hi Folks, Just had a major virus hit my big computer and has locked it out saying I must pay a fine to get it unlocked!! Sending this from my old small steam driven one. Was about to crack the car in this photo but will have to wait for further searching and confirmation until big computer is de bugged/fixed. Am almost positive this is a French Talbot of cca 1933/5. Part of the flaship range of STD 1930/33. Could be a H78/K78 or M78, or L67 or a Fulgar. It was searching photos via 'images' when the virus hit, so be careful if looking. On one of those sites is the bug. It got past my virus checker !!

Dave, thanks for explaining photo manipulation to Yaros. The diagonal sash on the badge is the Talbot logo. I over sharpened it so it fuzzed into looking like an '8'. Talbot was part of the Sunbeam Talbot Darracq group in UK and France; Talbot in France and Darracq in UK.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

Vintman You are right again,Talbot 1935 3D seems right,I have been looking for french cars a couple of houers today but coudn`t find the right one.

That`s becuse I couldn`t agree with Delahaye,nothing was right what I could see. Leif in Sweden

http://static.nationalgeographic.nl/pictures/genjUserPhotoPicture/original/29/65/33/talbot-1935-3d-336529.jpg

Hi Lief, Will investigate further when I get my big computer back but in the ABC of Cars of the 1930s it says the H78/K78 M78 were "the flagship of the STD range and rarity even in its day.....technically impressive car with 6 and 8 cyl engines... tourer, drophead and saloon.." Production numbers were not indicated. I had found a nuber of photos of Talbots on the web with similar radiators with different model numbers and was investigating if the rads were specific to model/s or years..... when the virus shut down my computer. If anybody can shed more light on the rad, it would be most appreciated.

Regards

Vintman

I'm looking at: 1) 4/5 large, openable louvers in the hood sides 2) a low light/reflector atop the fenders 3) horn location and distinct crest area in the radiator shell. T H I S is what I found. SALMSON - 1933 or 1934. I can only find 1 and it's a 1935 (beautiful car too)

Salmson 1935 for sale - PreWarCar

I am certainly open to suggestions and corrections. That's how I learn.

Thanks,

Chuck

I think Leif nailed it. The 3D Tabot image he linked has all of the same features as the car in question, including the hood louvers if you look closely. I was never able to find a Talbot image with that hood or exactly that grille, but his image is spot on. I suspect it may be a coachbuilt coupe rather than a stock body, but I don't know Talbots enough to know that for sure.

Hi all,

The big computer has been fixed and is currently undergoing a thorough very slow clean/check with serious antibiotics!!

</SPAN>

A colleague has looked into Edward Wilson's "The 1930s Talbots" (the French cars) and advised" .. It is definitely a 1933 car which had the rad cowl which was introduced that year. "Fulgur" was a name applied to the whole 1933 range derived from the French fulgurer to shine or sparkle and Latin fulgur lightning. It is either an ME67 or an MF75 which were six cyls. and had five bonnet vents. The H75 and 78 were eights with six vents.The ME67 was 1999cc and the 75 2504cc."

</SPAN>From the pictures in catalgues received, they made two sizes of Cabriolets. From the picture above it does indeed seem a Cabriolet (in Sedgwicks ABC, as 'Drophead Coupe'). In the picture the car looks like large vehicle as it almost dwarfs the Delahaye next to it, which is no mean car size in its own right. Presumably therefore it is built on the larger chassis with the larger engine, hence the car in the above picture is probably a 1933 Talbot ME75 Cabriolet.</SPAN>

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Ps. Lief's photo "3D" I think refers to the fact that it is a 3D Photo, not that the model of the car is a 3 D !!

Vintman (UK)

post-58492-143139204317_thumb.jpg

Thanks Vintman - that sure is a beautiful radiator shell. And Lief - you too, Thanks. I had major difficulties with that 3D photo. It gave me a headache!

French Auto lesson #1: Complete!

Did we get an answer to where this photo was taken, and who owns this potentially impressive collection?

Thanks again to all,

Chuck

Hi, The car/s in the original picture are apparently known. During my early searches I found the photo on a Flickr site in French. One of our Help Page colleagues showed the photo to some friends from northern France at the weekend and they said: “Oh we know these cars - they are in a little-publicised collection of unrestored quality cars of the 1920s and 30s in southern Brittany." I have not enquired further. Regards Vintman