Help me choose my plates, please

Guest Amicus

Ok, I'm going to DMV on Friday to get my title transferred and license plates. I have some options on the plates, and can't quite make up my mind. I can have

a) Historic/horseless carriage, these are for cars over 35 years old, no options, just numbers

B) Route 66, these plates have the Route 66 sign/logo and no options, just numbers. They are the most expensive each year, HOWEVER, the extra fees go to the Route 66 Restoration/Preservation Project.

c) Vanity. If I go vanity, it will be my handle/username that I have had for like 40 years and the year of the car i.e., AMICUS54

Guest Rob McDonald

Here in Alberta, vintage plates cost $39.45, one time only, and there's no annual renewal fee. The registration is valid for as long as you own the car. How the technocrats still permit this is a mystery.

Technically, there are supposed to be some usage limitations - parades, car club events - but the police don't enforce it at all. As long as my insurance company is happy with how I use my old car (maximum 5000 km per year, anywhere I want, including to work and back), the province doesn't seem to care.

I could get my Buick registered to a used 1957 Alberta plate for no extra charge. The colours are perfect - dark blue and white, just like my car. Frankly, though, the plates were pretty crappy in those days because they were thrown away every year - or nailed to barn walls. I'll stick with the modern type, which also matches nicely the colours of my car.

Vanity plates cost $206.85 here, then you have to pay the registration fee every year, same as everyone else. That's not so terribly much but it's more than twice the $75 that I paid for my Buick, a very long time ago, so I've stubbornly refused. In fact, I've occasionally paid more than $75 for a tank of gas but there's not much I can do about that.

Nevada also has a rainbow of available license plate designs. When I imported a BMW from there earlier this year, I was tempted to get a SAMPLE plate that includes the famous "Welcome To Las Vegas" sign, to mount on the front bumper (we don't use front plates in Alberta). The lineup at DMV was too long, though, so I headed north without it.

post-59990-143139177039_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139177041_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139177042_thumb.jpg

Consider the YOM (year of manufacture) option. Most states will allow you to register your classic car with a license plate issued in the year it was manufactured. Just put a regular plate on it for now and begin the search for that 1954 New Mexico license plate that you can use on your car. Once you have it, you can change over from the regular plate to the YOM plate.

If you do this, be sure to check first with your NM MVD to see if the plate's number sequence is available before you buy the plate.

I have my 49 Buick registered with a YOM plate. They look great and make your car even more special.

Dan

Well up here in Massachusetts you are better off with vanity plates. If we put antique plates on the car by law we are only allowed to use them on Sundays are to and from a parade. Vanity plates are little more expensive but there's no harassment with them.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

hi amicus, you haven't said what kind of classic buick you have, and how many letters are available in your state's plate. i always like when the plates talks about the car or truck. i remember back in the late 1970's i wanted to get personalized plates from california's DMV for my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, when calif had only six letters, i thought of the word UNIQUE, then calif came out with seven letters plates, then i was thinking of my plates having CLCOKER, but i really wanted the plates to talk about the car, not me, so i was thinking what about the word CATALINA, nah, too many letters, i could drop the second A, and have CATLINA, and i thought that would look as bad as CADILAC having only one L, thinking some more, i came up with PONTIAC, i put in my request, and it was granted to me. that was 35 years ago. charles l. coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

No strong opinion to give you but I was surprised by the number of different plates that New Mexico has: License Plates

For comparison here is what is available in Victora , Australia Vplates.com.au - Custom Plates by VicRoads | - Vplates Home

A lot of options all for a price http://www.vplates.com.au/uploads/File/pdfs/Custom_Plates_Online_Price_List_Feb_2012.pdf

I have antique plates on my cars, cost is $10.00 per year plus the annual excise tax - which on antiques is pretty minimal since it is based on the price of the car new. I think it costs me about $35 per year total per car. I can get a vanity antique plate for $15.00 more per year but don't see the sense. I could also register with regular plates, but then I have to get annual safety inspections - which don't cost that much, but then I've got to worry about passing. Maine law allows antique plates for shows, parades, exhibitions and occasional personal use, not supposed to exceed 2000 miles per year. I've never had an issue with the police and no one I know has either. It does bother me when I see a clapped out 80's Firebird with antique plates on it being used in the middle of winter, though.

The only one that has an annual fee of any significance in my state is the Route 66 one. I am kind of partial to it though, and the fees go to the Route 66 Restoration/Preservation fund. Think I may go with that.

Guest Rob McDonald

AMICUS, I warmly support your decision! I've crossed Route 66 several times over the years, have seen "Cars" over and over again, and believe that the remaining bits of this historic highway carry the soul memory of mid-20th Century North America.

AMICUS, I warmly support your decision! I've crossed Route 66 several times over the years, have seen "Cars" over and over again, and believe that the remaining bits of this historic highway carry the soul memory of mid-20th Century North America.

I agree. Tomorrow is the day, so I guess I will have to live with my decision.....Route 66 it is!!!!!

Besides, Route 66 and I go waaayyyyy back....I was in a horrific car accident on Route 66 outside of Oatman, Arizona in 1990. Broke everything in my body almost, and have a LOT of lasting problems from it. Would be almost nostalgic to have Route 66 plates! LOL