1933 Franklin 7 passenger Sedan

Guest danceswithpumps

Guest danceswithpumps

I saw this beauty in Estes Park, Co. at their car show on the 4th of July and thought I'd share the pics here. Quite a thrill to see one of 3 left!:)

Rod van Pelt

0704121221a.jpg

0704121222a.jpg

0704121224.jpg

0704121023b.jpg

0704121023a.jpg

0704121023.jpg

0704121022a.jpg

0704121022.jpg

• 6 years later...
19 hours ago, alsancle said:

This car is for sale in Hemmings this month.  125k.

That is actually a deal.  They were changing hands in the club for more than that (at times up over 200) - the disadvantage though is that people outside the club never know such as they never see such publicly.  Parts availability is not good - that may be an issue.  They are huge cars and they are also impressive on the road.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:15 PM, alsancle said:

Personally I would lose the trunk, or go with something smaller.  If you are touring with it,  there is a ton of room inside.

Now that you mention it, that is an exceedingly tall trunk.  I am a big fan of trunks though as I hate the whole car filled with stuff.  And, I do not know about a V-12 what you have in under seat tool storage (all be it you do get two decent sized glove boxes - one for the glove for your left hand and one for the glove for your right hand).  

13 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

By the way, I have been in Brougham doing 100 mph - we were out driving in Syracuse one evening at a Trek and the fellow said:  This will impress you and he pulled it up onto the highway and we did from one entry ramp to the next exit. 

Which Brougham is it?  I don't count very many.    I stood next to the one in the Nethercutt which is parked next to the 845 Packard with the Dietrich body and it was noticeable how much taller the Franklin was.

I'm wondering if the 2 speed is basically like the Auburn,  where on today's roads there is never a reason to take it out of High.

Al Noppert

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Which Brougham is it?  I don't count very many.    I stood next to the one in the Nethercutt which is parked next to the 845 Packard with the Dietrich body and it was noticeable how much taller the Franklin was.

I'm wondering if the 2 speed is basically like the Auburn,  where on today's roads there is never a reason to take it out of High.

Let's just say it was a Brougham  and it is one of the best of the best of the bunch of V-12's.

Yes, they are proportionally larger (both taller and longer at 144 wheelbase) and are same category size as a Duesenberg or a Rolls-Royce Phantom I

My understanding is that the Franklin used a 2-Speed Columbia that mirrored an Auburn V-12, though I do not believe anything interchanges. 

I have also gone 65mph in one down the State Route without a floor in it and with the doors held closed by wire

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would love to see a driving video.  I have never even sat in a Franklin of any model, let alone driven one.   My one significant memory of the V12 in the Nethercutt was that it was 6 inches taller than the 845 Packard parked next to it.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:10 PM, alsancle said:

Would love to see a driving video.  I have never even sat in a Franklin of any model, let alone driven one.   My one significant memory of the V12 in the Nethercutt was that it was 6 inches taller than the 845 Packard parked next to it.

They are really big cars in height and length too- you do not notice when they sit alone, but pull it up next to another 30's car and it makes a statement. 

• 2 weeks later...

AJ,

I have ridden in a Franklin V12 many times. In fact, I believe this is the very car I rode in when it belonged  to Len Urlik (same owner as your Reo Royale). We used to go to dinner every week and we often took this car. I can't read the serial number in the photo but Len's Franklin was serial # 73-10315L23.

Steve

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 4:54 PM, Steve Braverman said:

I drove one once. It felt like my '32 Airman, if the back see were filled with cement blocks. Once it got rolling it was nice, but very heavy.

We once did a trip to the factory while being torn down and filled all the cars up with bricks - everyone's car felt that way for a couple of days. 

On 3/16/2020 at 1:29 PM, John_Mereness said:

We once did a trip to the factory while being torn down and filled all the cars up with bricks - everyone's car felt that way for a couple of days. 

My dad was there for that. I have a few bricks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, odat said:

There is a gorgeous 32 airman on the club for sale sight now. Selling for less that my paint job cost.

It is a nice car - Jeff Wyle and I were the first people to go out riding in it with Frank Gardner as we were walking through the parking lot while the restorer was unloading it - I think the restorer wanted everyone to see it first and we said let's go driving = the restorer was most objectionable, though Frank was very enthusiastic.  I would say that was in the early 1980's.  It is a well done car and a nice article is in an ACD publication with front and rear cover shots.  Frank's son (a very nice fellow) reverted it back to most all its standard equipment other than it still retains a rather ingenious power steering assist. And, restoration appears to have held up well, but probably no longer suited to win AACA and CCCA events without significant under hood and undercarriage upgrading/detailing.. 

• 3 weeks later...