danceswithpumps

1933 Franklin 7 passenger Sedan

Recommended Posts

I saw this beauty in Estes Park, Co. at their car show on the 4th of July and thought I'd share the pics here. Quite a thrill to see one of 3 left!:)

Rod van Pelt

0704121221a.jpg

0704121222a.jpg

0704121224.jpg

0704121023b.jpg

0704121023a.jpg

0704121023.jpg

0704121022a.jpg

0704121022.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, alsancle said:

This car is for sale in Hemmings this month.  125k.

That is actually a deal.  They were changing hands in the club for more than that (at times up over 200) - the disadvantage though is that people outside the club never know such as they never see such publicly.  Parts availability is not good - that may be an issue.  They are huge cars and they are also impressive on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised someone has not bolted the trunk to the rack - that is a big heavy trunk if all that is holding it on is the two leather straps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would lose the trunk, or go with something smaller.  If you are touring with it,  there is a ton of room inside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 5:15 PM, alsancle said:

Personally I would lose the trunk, or go with something smaller.  If you are touring with it,  there is a ton of room inside.

Now that you mention it, that is an exceedingly tall trunk.  I am a big fan of trunks though as I hate the whole car filled with stuff.  And, I do not know about a V-12 what you have in under seat tool storage (all be it you do get two decent sized glove boxes - one for the glove for your left hand and one for the glove for your right hand).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I have been in Brougham doing 100 mph - we were out driving in Syracuse one evening at a Trek and the fellow said:  This will impress you and he pulled it up onto the highway and we did from one entry ramp to the next exit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

By the way, I have been in Brougham doing 100 mph - we were out driving in Syracuse one evening at a Trek and the fellow said:  This will impress you and he pulled it up onto the highway and we did from one entry ramp to the next exit. 

 

Which Brougham is it?  I don't count very many.    I stood next to the one in the Nethercutt which is parked next to the 845 Packard with the Dietrich body and it was noticeable how much taller the Franklin was.

 

I'm wondering if the 2 speed is basically like the Auburn,  where on today's roads there is never a reason to take it out of High.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Al Noppert

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

 

Which Brougham is it?  I don't count very many.    I stood next to the one in the Nethercutt which is parked next to the 845 Packard with the Dietrich body and it was noticeable how much taller the Franklin was.

 

I'm wondering if the 2 speed is basically like the Auburn,  where on today's roads there is never a reason to take it out of High.

Let's just say it was a Brougham  and it is one of the best of the best of the bunch of V-12's.

 

Yes, they are proportionally larger (both taller and longer at 144 wheelbase) and are same category size as a Duesenberg or a Rolls-Royce Phantom I

 

My understanding is that the Franklin used a 2-Speed Columbia that mirrored an Auburn V-12, though I do not believe anything interchanges. 

 

I have also gone 65mph in one down the State Route without a floor in it and with the doors held closed by wire

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, Bob.  As much as I enjoy seeing your Sportsman, will we be seeing the 33 at the Trek this year ?

 

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove one once. It felt like my '32 Airman, if the back see were filled with cement blocks. Once it got rolling it was nice, but very heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see a driving video.  I have never even sat in a Franklin of any model, let alone driven one.   My one significant memory of the V12 in the Nethercutt was that it was 6 inches taller than the 845 Packard parked next to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 9:10 PM, alsancle said:

Would love to see a driving video.  I have never even sat in a Franklin of any model, let alone driven one.   My one significant memory of the V12 in the Nethercutt was that it was 6 inches taller than the 845 Packard parked next to it.

They are really big cars in height and length too- you do not notice when they sit alone, but pull it up next to another 30's car and it makes a statement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ,

I have ridden in a Franklin V12 many times. In fact, I believe this is the very car I rode in when it belonged  to Len Urlik (same owner as your Reo Royale). We used to go to dinner every week and we often took this car. I can't read the serial number in the photo but Len's Franklin was serial # 73-10315L23.

Steve

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

How was the cooling situation worked out ?

Same as your car more or less - really big fan and shrouding to direct air (basically it is two 6 cylinders joined in a V'ee albeit no parts interchange)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounded cool too. I watched them load it.

 

 

C6D620D6-DCD4-4705-B45F-CA233FFCF216.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now