1916 dodge

The sad thing these days is that it's topsy turvy from 30 to 40 years ago...back then original cars were always worth more than a rodded car.....

Now, if you want to sell your antique project, drop a small block in and call it a "hot rod project" and it brings more money, and in general, hot rods are more valuable than original cars. Sad....no incentive for rodders to us repro or bad bodies, buy an original and rod it....

For example, original 31/32 Chevies are being rodded daily, just look at the engines and drive trains that are available.....

A nice original 1916 Dodge would have a hard time bringing $15K.....

what bothers me most is those who rat rod , i know its a trend but it looks terrible to me. i rather see a older car saved even if hot rodded then to see it crushed and returned as import

Jen

I dont think Im out of place here to disagree with this...........A nice original 1916 Dodge would have a hard time bringing $15K..... .................I have seen nice cars go for this and a bit more, I am sorta surprised that this monstrosity brought this little, might be the tide is turning again, I do hope so.

JMO but, I just can't get into something like that (never have) and I have a real hard time seeing why anyone would. I know he put some serious dough into it but I'm surprised he got that much back out of it, it's just fugly.

To each there own but to have a Chevy chassis and a Dodge body with a Ford motor is very bizarre thing to me and I never quite understood it. Don't even get me started on ratrods.. I do like the ingenuity on some of them, but most are just heaps from what I've seen, at least this "hotrod" looks clean and someone did a decent job on it.

Yeah, maybe the tide is turning

for example, 1917 Dodge roadster, $16K and didn't get an offer, and looks like a decent car, was on Ebay, item #221032629055....picture attached

And if I remember, not that long ago an early Dodge touring sold on Ebay in the $15K range......and exceptional example may get more.....but a lot of nice ones won't bring what that hot rodded one did...

post-31482-143139058253_thumb.jpg

for example, 1917 Dodge roadster, $16K and didn't get an offer, and looks like a decent car, was on Ebay, item #221032629055....picture attached

And if I remember, not that long ago an early Dodge touring sold on Ebay in the $15K range......and exceptional example may get more.....but a lot of nice ones won't bring what that hot rodded one did...

Might help if the guy put more than two pictures and his description was not just ............Has original 12 volt. Body off restoration, rebuilt motor all origional...........

Guest john69

What I have come to realize is that the percieved value of old cars is generational; generally, we all want the car we had in high school or the car that our dad had when we were kids; this range of age of collectible car shifts with the aging population. I'd have to guess that the facination with hot rods will fade with the aging demographic, and things will "settle out", and what will be the next craze? My crystal ball does not provide a clue to me, but I really love the '25 Dodge special touring that I bought a bit over a year ago, to recapture my youth with the '26 coupe that I had in high school back in the early 1960s.

What I have come to realize is that the percieved value of old cars is generational; generally, we all want the car we had in high school or the car that our dad had when we were kids; this range of age of collectible car shifts with the aging population. I'd have to guess that the facination with hot rods will fade with the aging demographic, and things will "settle out", and what will be the next craze? My crystal ball does not provide a clue to me, but I really love the '25 Dodge special touring that I bought a bit over a year ago, to recapture my youth with the '26 coupe that I had in high school back in the early 1960s.

i dont know if it will end as you say , i personnely never grew with the cars i own and my family didnt think anything about them other than something that took them from one place to another. i do see young people who are in to the older cars even though they never grew up around them or had family with them. i just hope that this continues but i realize that likely we wont find this older tin in the future as nature will take them away or others will send them to scrap thinking that its nothing but junk.

Jen

Guest Killerbunny
Dodge : Other OPEN TOURING RAT ROD, ROADSTER | eBay You can still get in on this one!!! :eek: I say!!! :D

Hey Ray White - I wonder how this one would make it through the MOT???

Only 3 days left and the price is $3.200...Not bad at all...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;) Thanks for sharing...

Only 3 days left and the price is $3.200...Not bad at all...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;) Thanks for sharing...

Three dollars and twenty cents! That about adds up! Thanks for sharing!

Dodge : Other OPEN TOURING RAT ROD, ROADSTER | eBay You can still get in on this one!!! :eek: I say!!! :D ...
Oh, and by the way, here is a question posted on the eBay page:

"Questions and answers about this item:

Q: titled as a 1917 dodge and current? Thank You/

A: yes it is titled as a 1917 Dodge Brothers, recorded 04/10/2012"

In my humble opinion, this is downright fraud! ALL States should enact laws that say any "modified from original engineering, rebuilt in dissimilar fashion from original, kit car, street rod, hobby type vehicle will be titled as the year of completion using the owner's name as the model name". In this case "it" would be a: "2012 nburkey123" or whatever. Certainly NOT a 1917 Dodge! :mad:

Also note... The two top bidders have both stopped at $3200.00 and $3200.99 respectively. Neither bid making it to the

"Reserve". So maybe there is not as much interest in this junk as suspected. I'm sure the seller has more than $3200 in that pile! He may have to lower his "Reserve" and take a hit! :cool:

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Oh, and by the way, here is a question posted on the eBay page:

"Questions and answers about this item:

Q: titled as a 1917 dodge and current? Thank You/

A: yes it is titled as a 1917 Dodge Brothers, recorded 04/10/2012"

In my humble opinion, this is downright fraud! ALL States should enact laws that say any "modified from original engineering, rebuilt in dissimilar fashion from original, kit car, street rod, hobby type vehicle will be titled as the year of completion using the owner's name as the model name". In this case "it" would be a: "2012 nburkey123" or whatever. Certainly NOT a 1917 Dodge! :mad:

that can become a big debate as to determining what is consider modified and original. certainly theres alot of us having to use different year parts to get our cars on the road and i wouldnt consider it a street rod in that sense.

that can become a big debate as to determining what is consider modified and original. certainly theres alot of us having to use different year parts to get our cars on the road and i wouldnt consider it a street rod in that sense.
Exactly. Many older cars may be running a replacement engine from a few years either side of the original. BUT, the engineering is essentially the same. But not if you drop a 350 Chevy into it! Say you change the front suspension from a solid axle to independent. Now THAT IS a significant change in engineering and the rules would apply. That may make people THINK about the modifications they plan on doing, and they may just decide to "keep it original" and correctly fix what's there to keep the title the same. That is how this rule could help keep the "good cars" on the road and honor their origins by keeping the original name. And on the flip, make it obvious to anyone buying or selling a modified, that the vehicle is NOT original.

As time goes by, there would be a provision in the law to allow "some" modifications to engineering if the needed safety parts are not manufactured anymore, like bias ply tires for instance.

Just some food for thought!

Dodge : Other OPEN TOURING RAT ROD, ROADSTER | eBay You can still get in on this one!!! :eek: I say!!! :D

Hey Ray White - I wonder how this one would make it through the MOT???

The point about all this is that the practice is fundamentally unsustainable. As I pointed out the other day in my p.m. to you (1936D2) even Boyd Coddington, towards the end of his life, realised this and went over to "scratch builds". It is a pitty that this stalwart of hot rodding has so far not been listened to. Eventually, the supply will dry up to the point that antique cars will, by virtue of their rarity, become very expensive and then presumably the investment will shift away from rods to what few original cars survive.

It may be that the fashion will die out before this sad state of affairs ever comes to pass; the younger generation, as has been pointed out, seems to be rejecting the destructive and futile activities of their elders in favour of the pure and simple hobby of antique car restoration. I believe we have right on our side. After all, what message does it send to young people if we say it's O.k to trash our motoring heritage; especially in a country where the motor car has played such a major part in it's history.

As to whether this contraption would pass an M.O.T. in the U.K.; the answer would depend on whether the emissions were kept within current limits. The tester would be unlikely to accept this vehicle as being of the date stated and therefore it would not benefit from all the exemptions available to a genuine old car.

More difficult would be compliance with construction and use regulations which are essentially designed to ensure that all modified vehicles are kept to the standards laid down for motor manufacturers today.

Personally, I am saddened by those who clamour to buy the surplus parts that these guys rip out of otherwise good original cars. The message it sends to the rodder is: it's O.K. to trash that old Dodge; there are guys out there who are queing up to buy the rubbish that you have left over".

No one can accuse me of highjacking here - that's what the original post was about.

No one's getting bashed - merely ridiculed.

Ray.

Personally, I am saddened by those who clamour to buy the surplus parts that these guys rip out of otherwise good original cars. The message it sends to the rodder is: it's O.K. to trash that old Dodge; there are guys out there who are queing up to buy the rubbish that you have left over".

Ray.

Gee, Ya think

Most of my parts came from these vehicles that have been thrashed Ill admit but I have never sought out parts from these poor souls just to make a fast buck, this is what disgusts me.

Ive sold parts in the past and I didnt sell them cheap but I didnt buy them cheap either in most cases and as mentioned didnt really have any intention of buying them with profit in mind anyway.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

So maybe there is not as much interest in this junk as suspected. I'm sure the seller has more than $3200 in that pile! He may have to lower his "Reserve" and take a hit! :cool:

Your "political correctness" is slipping again D-2, Im sure someone will find use for this car ;)

You guys are all talking about what YOU think is right.

Times are a changin my friends.

As for what to title it as, What would a cop be doing if an APB came out saying to be on the look out for a '1990 Smith 123' when the car has a 1936 Dodge body on it?

The law wants these modified cars to be titled as what they look like.

By the way you are all wrong about what is fun for one should be the way YOU want it, not what the rightful owner wants.

I live in a free country and if I choose to run what you guys refer to as junk and you chastise me for it then you are the hipocrits.

I am not on here to get in your face as you seem to be every time one of these cars come into debate.

When you all talk about there not being any reason to upgrade as the engineering was built into a certain car it just shows that you are living in the past and do not see the merit of advancing technology (maybe you should be writing a letter here not surfing on your computer if you really want to live in the 30s)

I often talk with my local friends about you mystery people that I converse with here on the net, I refer to you all as friends. I dont like it when my friends badmouth me or the things that I do.

I know that you wouldnt like it if I went away and we couldnt banter like this anymore !!! HA !!

I feel like going out and chopping something up right now just to pizz you off. Should I post pics?

Guest john69

The other way to think about this is to wonder how much $ do you need to sink into a car like this to make the $15K? Dare I say, probably a good bit more than was realized by the sale?

Hello Jack. Someone has obviously said something that you don't think they should have said. We are all strong minded guys which is why we like to make a stand. I for one would like you to make the case for what you believe in so that we can have a proper debate. Perhaps you could start by demonstrating how you think creating the various types of 'rod' from good original antique cars can be "sustainable". You know we like your contributions. We like you.

Ray.

Now Ray, dont put words into my mouth.

I did not say anything about creating various types of rods from good original antique cars.

Not many rodders have the disrespect for good originals as you think. All being car guys I (we) would never cut up a nice car, in fact would disscourage it, if one of my peers needed education along those lines I would be the first to speak up.

I am thinking that the car that was the original subject was probably not within the builders opinion a good original antique.

This is the new millenium, what with computers and going to the moon, I am thinking that man has figured out a few things that are indeed better than what was engineered in the 20s, 30, even the 80s and 90s. Wouldnt you say?

Heck, some guys even like Toyotas.....Those may have been in exsistence in the 30s but I still wouldn have any use for one. Except for owner bashing,,,,

Did I sat that ?:o

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Thankyou for correcting me, Jack. You did not say those things.

Perhaps I have been labouring under a misapprehension; I can only speak from what I can glean from here and from T.V. programmes and not from personal experience but I thought that the trashing of an historic vehicle was a pre-requisite for the creation of a 'rod'. I take heart that you would speak up to save a good antique car.

Of course there have been developments in engineering over time but I personally cannot see the point of adding to and subtracting from an historic vehicle and pretending that it is still somehow the same car as you started with. At best what you end up with is a hybrid - not a Dodge or any other make come to that. If that is what I am supposed to accept as normal then so be it but please don't expect me to aspire to it.

Ray

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

You guys are all talking about what YOU think is right.

Times are a changin my friends.

As for what to title it as, What would a cop be doing if an APB came out saying to be on the look out for a '1990 Smith 123' when the car has a 1936 Dodge body on it?

The law wants these modified cars to be titled as what they look like.

By the way you are all wrong about what is fun for one should be the way YOU want it, not what the rightful owner wants.

I live in a free country and if I choose to run what you guys refer to as junk and you chastise me for it then you are the hipocrits.

I am not on here to get in your face as you seem to be every time one of these cars come into debate.

When you all talk about there not being any reason to upgrade as the engineering was built into a certain car it just shows that you are living in the past and do not see the merit of advancing technology (maybe you should be writing a letter here not surfing on your computer if you really want to live in the 30s)

I often talk with my local friends about you mystery people that I converse with here on the net, I refer to you all as friends. I dont like it when my friends badmouth me or the things that I do.

I know that you wouldnt like it if I went away and we couldnt banter like this anymore !!! HA !!

I feel like going out and chopping something up right now just to pizz you off. Should I post pics?

Hey Jack, if you roll your little mouse deelio over the picture itll give you a very personal title to these images ;)

Seriousely though, I am just thrilled this has not turned into an anti-1930 bashing thread, usually about this time someone is reporting ME ( and only me, how does that work ? ) to a moderator and my genius is wiped off the history books before everyone has the privledge of reading it :D

post-48869-143139062116_thumb.gif

post-48869-143139062118_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

... As for what to title it as, What would a cop be doing if an APB came out saying to be on the look out for a '1990 Smith 123' when the car has a 1936 Dodge body on it?...
Well, if I were a cop, and an APB came out for a "2012 nburkey123", I would probably say, "That's an ODD one!" and I would then be looking for something like the first two photos below. But if we were told to look for a "1917 Dodge Touring", then I would probably be looking for something like the last photo! Really.

post-67404-143139062119_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143139062123_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143139062126_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

I said Toyota !!! (Gotcha)

Here in Oregon we have a fair weather law. I think that you are suposed to have fenders if it is raining. I have been caught in the rain without fenders and past right by a cop with no worries. I wouldnt want to drive a fair weather car in the rain anyway.

Also in Oregon windshield wipers are required, However a windshield is not. Go Figure.

Ray, are any of these cars you guys covet really practical anymore ? I dont think so.

I am thinking that I have a couple of street rods that are way more practical than any teens or twentys cars as they will keep up with traffic at least. And you can usually get parts easier on the road. Not that I dont see those as being fun. But practical? A matter of opinion.

So D2, If my car is stolen and I call the law to keep an eye out for it I want them to have an idea of what to look for. This has been long debated among fabricators and the law and is one place that I see the law as being practical about registration.

Probably be tomorrow before I have more time to waste on this new fangled computer.

I am going to a rod run and gawk at cars and listen to a band or two. Oh yea I may do some sightseeing as well, I see that the spring dresses are in full blossom.

Enjoy,

I said Toyota !!! (Gotcha)

Here in Oregon we have a fair weather law. I think that you are suposed to have fenders if it is raining. I have been caught in the rain without fenders and past right by a cop with no worries. I wouldnt want to drive a fair weather car in the rain anyway.

Also in Oregon windshield wipers are required, However a windshield is not. Go Figure.

Ray, are any of these cars you guys covet really practical anymore ? I dont think so.

I am thinking that I have a couple of street rods that are way more practical than any teens or twentys cars as they will keep up with traffic at least. And you can usually get parts easier on the road. Not that I dont see those as being fun. But practical? A matter of opinion.

So D2, If my car is stolen and I call the law to keep an eye out for it I want them to have an idea of what to look for. This has been long debated among fabricators and the law and is one place that I see the law as being practical about registration.

Probably be tomorrow before I have more time to waste on this new fangled computer.

I am going to a rod run and gawk at cars and listen to a band or two. Oh yea I may do some sightseeing as well, I see that the spring dresses are in full blossom.

Enjoy,

Jack.....where is that rod run?? I would like to take my '31 coupe.

post-37352-143139062129_thumb.jpg

... So D2, If my car is stolen and I call the law to keep an eye out for it I want them to have an idea of what to look for. This has been long debated among fabricators and the law and is one place that I see the law as being practical about registration...
First of all, If you told them to look for a 1917 Dodge they would never find it in time (before being parted out - which is probably why someone would steel your rod in the first place). You would HAVE to give them a photo for description. Then it is all up to the "numbers", the serial or engine numbers, on the actual car. So, calling it a "2012 nburkey123" (if that's what the law requires - which would be more accurate) or calling it a "1917 Dodge Touring" would have little difference in what they look for. With any modified piece of anything, a recent photo would be required to assist "looking" for it. All-in-all, you would probably be out of luck in having the cops locate it before it being chopped up with-in the first couple hours of the theft. :(

"Ray, are any of these cars you guys covet really practical anymore ? I dont think so."

.............................................................................................................................

Jack you are probably right and with modern traffic being what it is you are probably getting more right with every passing day! :(

I do think one can do with a top (and a windshield!) at the very least though. Did you see what happened to Mike (Senior Six Coupe) when he was on a rally in a topless Bentley "Special" here recently ? He got very wet! :D

Ray

What would the cops have to say about not having any fenders - is it legal? Not legal in the U.K.

Also, not legal here without windshield wipers - nor very practical without a top if it should rain!

It all depends on the State's laws. Each State has their own vehicle equipment, licensing, registration, titling laws. How those laws are applied is up to the State. Most go along with the laws from the State where the car was from. Like some States only require a rear license plate (tag), but most require two. If you were from a single plate State and traveling in a dual plate State, you would probably not get pulled over and cited for not having the front plate. It is kind of a mess when transactions (like sales of a car) go across State lines where the laws are different in each of those States. But then again, most State's laws have made specific provisions on how to handle those "different State" law issues.

And then, to make it even more confusing, some States give registration authority to Counties within the State like Ohio and maybe Florida (I'm not sure about that one). So not only do you have 50 State laws to worry about, there may be another 70 or so Counties' laws to deal with. But we do seem to make it work. Strange 'eh?

You have to keep in mind the land mass here. Some States are bigger than countries! And we have 50 of them! So it is like a big country full of smaller countries full of smaller divisions called Counties or Parishes. A lot to deal with!

That's why you hear different things from different people here on the Forum concerning opinions of legal dealings with any particular issue. They are all viewing the issue from their known legal perspective. And each one can be a smidgen different. :eek: