1916 dodge

It all depends on the State's laws. Each State has their own vehicle equipment, licensing, registration, titling laws. How those laws are applied is up to the State. Most go along with the laws from the State where the car was from. Like some States only require a rear license plate (tag), but most require two. If you were from a single plate State and traveling in a dual plate State, you would probably not get pulled over and cited for not having the front plate. It is kind of a mess when transactions (like sales of a car) go across State lines where the laws are different in each of those States. But then again, most State's laws have made specific provisions on how to handle those "different State" law issues.

And then, to make it even more confusing, some States give registration authority to Counties within the State like Ohio and maybe Florida (I'm not sure about that one). So not only do you have 50 State laws to worry about, there may be another 70 or so Counties' laws to deal with. But we do seem to make it work. Strange 'eh?

You have to keep in mind the land mass here. Some States are bigger than countries! And we have 50 of them! So it is like a big country full of smaller countries full of smaller divisions called Counties or Parishes. A lot to deal with!

That's why you hear different things from different people here on the Forum concerning opinions of legal dealings with any particular issue. They are all viewing the issue from their known legal perspective. And each one can be a smidgen different. :eek:

Just to summarize its all on what time of the month it is and how far behind the ticket quota they are

Now Ray, dont put words into my mouth.

I did not say anything about creating various types of rods from good original antique cars.

Not many rodders have the disrespect for good originals as you think. All being car guys I (we) would never cut up a nice car, in fact would disscourage it, if one of my peers needed education along those lines I would be the first to speak up.

I am thinking that the car that was the original subject was probably not within the builders opinion a good original antique.

This is the new millenium, what with computers and going to the moon, I am thinking that man has figured out a few things that are indeed better than what was engineered in the 20s, 30, even the 80s and 90s. Wouldnt you say?

Heck, some guys even like Toyotas.....Those may have been in exsistence in the 30s but I still wouldn have any use for one. Except for owner bashing,,,,

Did I sat that ?:o

You take that back Jack!

Dirty, rotten Toyota basher....:mad:

I don't like any of it at all. However, what is up with that steering wheel? If, heaven forbid, you kind of get into the guys head and try to see what sort rat rod look he must have been aiming for, that steering wheel is still all wrong, wrong, wrong and horrendous any way you try and look at it. And those tail lights looks like someone has stuck a pair of boobs on the back. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful....

You take that back Jack!

Dirty, rotten Toyota basher....:mad:

I guess I dont really know just what I am talking about as I have problems helping out the foriegn economy. Hence have never owned and never will own a Japanese car.

They still make these Dodges you know. I do have one of those.

Now all you die hard Dodge guys that drive Toyotas are looking kind of hipocritical in my eyes.

So here is a guy that saved a hulk from the crusher, puts a Slant six in it with what I would expect a bunch more American parts and you feel that you have the right to pick his project apart ?

I am sure that he was and is having some fun and as we have all agreed that is what its all about !!!

Question is where they made them? Sure isnt Detroit, assembled there from outsourced pile of parts from foreign manufacturers.

From a CNBC report.............

Looking to drive American?

You might wind up in a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.

In fact, as the latest ranking of cars and trucks "Made in America" shows, it's not always Big 3 models with the most parts and labor coming from here in the US.

According to Cars.com, here are the "most" American made models for sale right now.

Toyota Camry (last ranking 1)

Honda Accord (last ranking 2)

Chevy Malibu (last ranking 5)

Ford Explorer (no last ranking)

Honda Odyssey (last ranking 6)

Toyota Sienna (last ranking 10)

Jeep Wrangler (last ranking 9)

Chevy Traverse (no last ranking)

Toyota Tundra (last ranking 8)

GMC Acadia (no last ranking)

If this list and the fact half of the models are from Japanese brands surprises you, it shouldn't.

Toyota and Honda have long built most of what they sell in the U.S. at plants in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana (among other places). And most of the parts in those cars are made here in North America.

It's the reason I'm always baffled when people say, "I only buy American" and then they drive a model with a high percentage of parts from overseas. The fact is, for the most part, if you are buying it here in the US, most of the car was likely from here. Yes, there are some models like the Toyota Prius or Honda Fit, where that's not the case, but, as the latest list shows, there are Toyota and Honda models primarily "Made in the USA".

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I guess I dont really know just what I am talking about as I have problems helping out the foriegn economy. Hence have never owned and never will own a Japanese car.

They still make these Dodges you know. I do have one of those.

Now all you die hard Dodge guys that drive Toyotas are looking kind of hipocritical in my eyes.

So here is a guy that saved a hulk from the crusher, puts a Slant six in it with what I would expect a bunch more American parts and you feel that you have the right to pick his project apart ?

I am sure that he was and is having some fun and as we have all agreed that is what its all about !!!

I was just having fun too Jack. :)

Guest Henrys 26

I've been reading this forum for a while, but have not joined in. This morning was reading this thread then went out and was poking around craigslist and found a case in point.

1931 Dodge Brothers drivetrain

Looks like a nice car, clearly has plans to do something other than restore it.

So Jason,

Are these American owned Corporations building these Toyotas and Hondas in Kentucky?

may be wrong but the big three are still, however I see that GM is going Chinese.

I was having a hard time understanding you point but I think I have it now, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't see what difference it makes whether the owner of the company is American or Chinese, or Muslim, I would think that where the manufacturing of the vehicle, not only the manufacturing of the vehicle but the source of its contents and what country these derive from would be the biggest issue with an American consumer that is conscientious ( apparently like yourself ) of where his dollars are being spent.

At least these plants in Kentucky Ohio and Indiana are emplying American ( Ok maybe, Im sure there is one or two Mexicans to be found ) workers unlike these lesser American manufactured cars which are employing ONLY foreign workers in Foreign countries and isnt that whats really important?

One thing that they don't mention ( sadly ) in the article I posted above is that the majority of the parts that are being used to assemble even these Toyota's and Honda's ect are being outsourced to other countries and imported to the U.S for assembly.

I used to drive truck cross country for Ford Motor Company and although I didn't handle many loads ( means loading and un-loading ) I could see the labels clear as day on the crates showing point of manufacture and it was not the U.S.

As far as who owns the G.M for instance since you brought it up I admit I did

not know for certain but a quick google search shows our U.S Treasury Dept. owns G.M and since our current debt ratio is where its at I guess it would be anyones guess who truly is pulling the strings.

Kinda makes you want to go out and buy a Toyota Dosent it?

Hey "JACK M" - Got some comments on that one? Love to hear 'em. ;)

Anyone can go the H.A.M.B. website and see this kinda stuff going on daily, I have heard rumors that taking an original car and doing just what this guy is doing to this car are rare and frowned upon so to satisfy my curiosity I put on my raincoat/ hip hugger boots and checked out the site.

Nothing could be farther from the truth, they say things like man that's a rare car and it deserves something special and choice adjectives like that but in the end they all pound on their chests and claim king of the jungle and whip out their cutting torches.

Not that Jack needs defending but I don't think he condones in any way what this guy is going to do to this car and I think we all realize that.

Best thing in my opinion we can do to help slow this down is doing what some of us do best, make information avail to people that want to restore these cars even if it means they decide to chrome the windshield frame when it was originally painted or paint the car a different color than it was originally or install a battery box that is not original style.

This kinda stuff stinks I know, it is a misrepresentation of an original resto but its better than what this guy is planning.

I joke around alot on here and am pretty adamant about doing things authentic but when push comes to shove no-one likes being told what to do with their car because quite frankly it is their car and so its their right so its best that we don't push too hard the AACA guidelines because quite frankly its going to mean some of us wont have a place to go anywhere to help the cause like this site.

I only say this because I am shocked this thread has gone on this way this long, quite frankly it just shows that when some of my posts are deleted by moderators it was only done so because someone had something against me personally and went whining to a moderator and that's their choice but I'm still pretty sure the moderators read these posts and eventually they are gonna shut this down and maybe some of you guys that offer so much here will get mad at that and not post any longer in which case that will mean less information being shared on this site.

Some of the stuff I have said that was deleted was no worse than this thread.

Have to be more carefull because there is always someone fishin to stir something up and most often its a guy that posts very in-frequently from what I have noticed.

Nothing against any new posters and I hope you all continue to post and add to this forum

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Not that Jack needs defending but I don't think he condones in any way what this guy is going to do to this car and I think we all realize that.
Yup. I just like to keep hearing him talk about it! ;)

Helps the people thinking about doing nasty things to old history maybe have a second though. :)

Best thing in my opinion we can do to help slow this down is doing what some of us do best, make information avail to people that want to restore these cars even if it means they decide to chrome the windshield frame when it was originally painted or paint the car a different color than it was originally or install a battery box that is not original style.
Yes. We can talk about it but it is still important to try and nicely guide those folks toward the preservation idea. That's what the AACA & DBC are all about. BUT, it is all in the WAY it is done. It HAS to be within the rules of this Forum. They may just be looking for opinions as to how to proceed on a task. My opinion will always lean toward originality and preservation. And I DO get to express my opinion nicely according to the Forum rules.

That person asking the question also may learn something on how to do it "correctly" in that discussion, where they may have thought it would be too hard or not possible - so they were thinking about a shortcut.

... best that we don't push too hard the AACA guidelines because quite frankly its going to mean some of us wont have a place to go anywhere to help the cause like this site....
Good point. But as long as we "push" in a nice manner that is within the AACA Forum guidelines, any contributor should be OK with the Moderators.

...I only say this because I am shocked this thread has gone on this way this long, quite frankly it just shows that when some of my posts are deleted by moderators it was only done so because someone had something against me personally and went whining to a moderator and that's their choice but I'm still pretty sure the moderators read these posts and eventually they are gonna shut this down and maybe some of you guys that offer so much here will get mad at that and not post any longer in which case that will mean less information being shared on this site...
Best I can tell this thread has not "crossed the line" concerning the AACA Forum rules (except maybe for now where we are a bit "off topic"), but I feel this discussion is important so the membership can find ways to police themselves and post responsibly which would help not having to involve the Moderators.

I beg to differ with your opinion of what happened on the other post. It DID get out of hand AND was violating the AACA Forum rules. The other member, if you look back, DID try to smooth out the post BEFORE going to the Moderators, but that did not apparently work. The only thing left, and encouraged by the Moderators (because they can't see ALL the posts on this large Forum in a timely manner), is for members to "red flag" posts that may be problematic. Those posts are then brought to the Moderators attention immediately! They will review it and then apply the "rules". They are pretty straight forward with applying those rules and do it quickly. That is one of the reasons I like this Forum! Rules are easily seen by all (they are linked at the bottom of every thread) AND they take action, not "let it float". But they are thoughtful as to how to do that. I give them credit for a sometimes a hard job!

Members should be above the deal of "hard feelings". Hopefully we are all adults here and can manage appropriately. I do not want to see ANYONE get put off by things said here and I offer that that is why the rules were made and enforced. I like to hear the wide breadth of ideas, opinions, etc, all which are in search of the FACTS of a subject or question. We ALL have something to bring to this table.

The "Dodge and Dodge Brothers" Forum area is one of the most read and appreciated Forums with the AACA. We don't want to mess that up! This is a great opportunity for ALL the readers - even lurkers who don't post but "absorb". And there are a lot of those! So let's put on our best!

I've been reading this forum for a while, but have not joined in. This morning was reading this thread then went out and was poking around craigslist and found a case in point. 1931 Dodge Brothers drivetrain Looks like a nice car, clearly has plans to do something other than restore it.
I think the way to handle this is for some one from the AACA or Dodge Brothers Club make the owner a reasonable best offer for that age and condition car and try to get it off the "rodder" market. Even if they don't restore it themselves, they have a better "pool" to pick from here and can resell it to someone who realizes the history there, and is willing to make the purchase and preserve that nice looking car.

What do you say "Henrys 26"? Wanna help? ;)

Hey "JACK M" - Got some comments on that one? Love to hear 'em. ;)

Obviously from the text in this ad the guy is a bafoon and doesnt have a clue.

I know that the guys on this forum know how I feel about this sort of thing.

If I had that car it would remain a nice original driver. To bad he wants so much for the complete car, I am afraid that it is doomed with the owner having an attitude and all.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Perhaps a message from an all American Dodge Brothers Club representative expressing the concerns of the membership would be just enough to sway the owner towards a different attitude towards his fine car. An offer of membership may sound the right note. Just a thought - is it worth a try?

Ray

Guest Henrys 26
I think the way to handle this is for some one from the AACA or Dodge Brothers Club make the owner a reasonable best offer for that age and condition car and try to get it off the "rodder" market. Even if they don't restore it themselves, they have a better "pool" to pick from here and can resell it to someone who realizes the history there, and is willing to make the purchase and preserve that nice looking car.

What do you say "Henrys 26"? Wanna help? ;)

Seems like there could be an opportunity to set something up that may enable an organization such as the DB club save some of these cars. If we could come up with a core group of creative individuals who could organize themselves and propose some ideas that would resonate with a good portion of the membership, I think there could be a chance to save some of these cars. Maybe start off with a new thread to facilitate the exchange of a few ideas and give us an indicator of how much interest there really might be. I have not started any threads on this forum yet, but if no one has set one up by tomorrow evening, I’ll take a crack at it…. So to answer your question, Yes, I would like to help, may not be able to do anything about this car, but maybe we could save one or two next year.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Guest john69

I quite agree; I shall post no more, but note that in viewing a recent presentation on the TV, that transportatation was inflicted on all too many folk with "crimes" much less serious than hot rodding.

Seems like there could be an opportunity to set something up that may enable an organization such as the DB club save some of these cars. If we could come up with a core group of creative individuals who could organize themselves and propose some ideas that would resonate with a good portion of the membership, I think there could be a chance to save some of these cars. Maybe start off with a new thread to facilitate the exchange of a few ideas and give us an indicator of how much interest there really might be. I have not started any threads on this forum yet, but if no one has set one up by tomorrow evening, I’ll take a crack at it…. So to answer your question, Yes, I would like to help, may not be able to do anything about this car, but maybe we could save one or two next year.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Sounds like a plan "Henrys 26". That may be an interesting angle to bring up as "new business" at an AACA Board meeting - or more directly related, a "Dodge Brothers Club" Board meeting. Run with it! :)

Here are some photos that should help your case with this idea! http://forums.aaca.org/f143/save-1931-dh6-coupe-330771.html !

Edited by 1936 D2
Added link (see edit history)

Seems like there could be an opportunity to set something up that may enable an organization such as the DB club save some of these cars. If we could come up with a core group of creative individuals who could organize themselves and propose some ideas that would resonate with a good portion of the membership, I think there could be a chance to save some of these cars. Maybe start off with a new thread to facilitate the exchange of a few ideas and give us an indicator of how much interest there really might be. I have not started any threads on this forum yet, but if no one has set one up by tomorrow evening, I’ll take a crack at it…. So to answer your question, Yes, I would like to help, may not be able to do anything about this car, but maybe we could save one or two next year.ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

Not sure exactly what you have in mind but sounds like a great idea

Guest john69

One of the biggest obstacles to "saving" these cars, is that there is comparitivly little interest in doing so; were it not so, higher prices would be realized in sales such as these, with the winning bidder being a preservationist. The problem is that the demographics of those interested in preservation, are on the decline; too many sellers, not enough buyers. With unlimited funds, one could make a difference, but how many cars can one man own, and where is he to store them, and what happens when he passes; same thing all over again ---.

In the estate of the man that my car was bought, he had 67 cars, all but one a Dodge or Chrysler product; he had about 40 or so undercover; this is where it leads, it all has to cycle over and over, not a practical solution, and the folks who want to visit motor museums to see quite ordinary cars is a very limited following, and naturally also on the decline; with unlimited funds, or nearly so, you get a museum on the lines of Harrah's in Reno Nevada, which has largely been dispersed, due to probable lack of interest on the part of those who would view them.

I see what you mean. We have a healthy demand over here for old cars; in fact unrestored cars often fetch as much or even more than restored ones - depending what it is, of course. We love to restore, but there is a growing interest in 'oily rag' type cars. Not 'rat' but tidy unrestored examples. Dealers these days are even praising what they like to call "patina". I personally like to see old cars out and about but more people seem to want to go "pot hunting" at shows and they seldom drive them unless it's to a show or on an organized rally.

As to museums; they have their place, but for me they are places to go to on a wet day - unless you like sifting through the archives for research.

Ray.

Guest john69

Me, I like to drive my '25 daily, weather permitting, and here in California, that is most of the time; I have put nealy 1,500 miles on mine in the (a little over) a year; bottom line, it gets better mileage than my Ford pickup ---. I think people here are appreciating driveable unrestored cars as well, although they are rare.

you get a museum on the lines of Harrah's in Reno Nevada, which has largely been dispersed, due to probable lack of interest on the part of those who would view them.

When Bill Harrah passed his empire was bought up by Holiday Inns I think it was. The auto museum was taken apart because the hotel chain didnt see the value of a $6.00 gate fee as a profitable return on a multimillion dollar collection, not so much a lack of interest.

It was all business !!

I sure do miss that place. Not only old and interesting cars but the best antique gun collection and slot machine collection I have ever seen. Also Bicycles, and peddle cars ect. I wish I had taken more pictures.

It was four or five HUGE warehouse type buildings with a very visible full time restoration shop. Also a couple of acres of projects in waiting.

Guest john69

Yes, Harrah's was really too big to see in one shot, and I remember at the time, his operation being talked about as spoiling the hobby for the ordinary guy by running up the prices paid for all those cars, and generally all the other cars "on the market".