Monterey Meet Photos

BadgerRivFan

The Casa Munras is a single level hotel and you park in front of your rooms on a winding drive. No cars are grouped.

Tomorrow we'll be set up for judging in a parking lot at a nearby college. I'm sure that lots of pictures will be taken then. I don't have the necessary tools to post a ton of pictures but there are guys here who do. Hopefully one of them will post a link to a Picasa site or something similar.

Next year's meet will be held in Lexington, KY. "600 miles from 2/3 of the entire population of the United States." No excuses for not being there.

It's cool here; most folks who aren't familiar with coastal climates are out buying sweatshirts or jackets. Otherwise it's beautiful.

Ed

Next year's meet will be held in Lexington, KY. "600 miles from 2/3 of the entire population of the United States." No excuses for not being there.

Ed-

Do you have the Meet dates for next year?

Thanks for posting all the pics and a special thanks to Jayson Pruitt for the pics with registration card documentation. Thats great info to have in the future. I appreciate any posted pics because it seems I never take time to get more than a handfull.

Just got home from CA Monday 1:30AM and back up for work at 5:00! We toured 1700mi in CA and some NV in the Ford Fusion rental car prior to and then after the meet. No speeding tickets:D! Man we were impressed with the Ford Fusion. I thought I was getting a dumpy little economy car but holy crap, it had a V6 with awesome power and cornered around the hairpin mountain switchbacks with ease.

Nice turn out of cars for a CA meet. Though the numbers didn't compare to an East or Midwest meet, there was an big ratio of cars 73 and older which is in stark contrast to eastern meets where there are many more 79-99s to balance it out. There were several discussions on why that is and I'm still not sure I understand it.

I enjoyed seeing the variations and evolution of the CA closed crankcase ventilation and A.I.R systems on the CA cars. Lots of black plate cars too!

Monterey was an interesting location with many attractions. Being from PA I'm used to cold and this was definitely the coldest meet ever. For some reason we just couldn't get used to the chilling wind. Fortunately the show field Ray secured last minute was protected from the wind and it was a perfect setting for the show with alot of elbow room.

My wife and I met many nice people and in particular Lemmy-67 whos beautiful car was parked outside our room for a day or so. Len could provide every minute detail of the huge amount of work he has done to the car and it was enjoyable seeing and hearing the passion he has for his 67 Riviera.

When we travel to an ROA meet and people ask where we are going, I quite telling them its a car show and simply say its a "family reunion".

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Quote from Jason's post.

"Though the numbers didn't compare to an East or Midwest meet, there was an big ratio of cars 73 and older which is in stark contrast to eastern meets where there are many more 79-99s to balance it out. There were several discussions on why that is and I'm still not sure I understand it."

I asked Darwin about this and he basically told me the 79 - 85 and the 86 - 99 cars aren't popular on the west coast because 1) It's almost impossible for 79-85 cars to pass CA smog requirements. (Makes you wonder where all of those cars are that were sold as new). and 2) the others "are just used cars." No collectibility.

I drove from LA to Monterey and back and saw a few of the 95 - 99's (I can't tell one year from the next) but they were out doing daily duty for their owners.

Ed

Guest lemmy-67

Thanks to all who attended and put the meet together...it was very cool to get to know everyone and learn more about the cars. I'm already looking forward to next year's in Kentucky...been about 10 years since I last visited Lexington and I had a great time. Maybe I'll see if any other Bay Area folks plan on the jaunt...could make for a decent caravan.

:)

Concerning the CARB emissions requirements here in CA, it is a nightmare. It cost me $1600 to smog my 1980 G20 Chevy van last year. They are hell bent on getting older vehicles off the roads here. All vehicles from 1975 and newer need to pass on a dyno. My 67, luckily, is exempt. Still has all the stock AIR equipment, and purrs like a kitten.

Edited by lemmy-67 (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling

cool pictures to all who posted them! Its great to see so many Rivieras in one spot. I bet in real life it was amazing!

You're absolutely correct. It is much more amazing in real life. Everyone needs to try to attend at least one meet when it's in your area. Besides the cars you see, the people you meet and the info you get from just talking with other members is worth the trip. You never know when (if) another meet will be held close to you so get to one when you can.

After a couple of meets, my wife is now just as anxious to go as I am. She meets old friends and makes new ones. She goes shopping, gets a massage, or a pedicure and enjoys eating local fare. Plus this year we did a couple of wine tasting tours; can't do that in Kansas. It's a great way for you to get to enjoy your hobby and at the same time your wife takes an interest becasue of the new opportunities it affords her. Keeping her happy makes the time you spend in the garage worth it to her as well as you.

Mark your calendar, get your car in shape, and put away a few nickles and dimes for the next event. Look for others in your area and start planning a convoy to Kentucky.

Ed

Plus this year we did a couple of wine tasting tours; can't do that in Kansas. Ed

So what do you have in Kansas Ed if no wine tasting? Wheat and corn tasting?:D

To ad to what Ed said, another thing that sets ROA meets apart is that members are encouraged to bring cars that aren't show quality. There is no restriction on quality and people aren't looked down upon if their car isn't perfect. Any condition is welcome. One year a guy drove a beat up 65 with various levels of body work in process, no carpeting, only front seats and some other parts missing. It was a work in progress and the crowd around the car indicated it attracted as much attention as the show cars!

Yes there is a car show but our Director is always careful not to place too much significance on the awards. Anyone affliated with clubs that do that surely can attest to the problems and animosity it creates.

If you attend an ROA meet strictly to try and get an award at the show you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Often the nicest cars do receive awards but every year there is at least one or two that for whatever reason

is very deserving but doesn't win. Probably the only down side of peer judging but again from the persepctive these meets are as much about people, friendships, sharing experiences, etc as they are the cars, an award is secondary.

It's wheat and soy beans. To dry in Kansas for corn. BUT, with the wheat grown here, and some barley, we do have quite a few craft breweries. Makes for an interesting regional event. I'm looking forward to Lexington because it's the home of the Wild Turkey distillery. "Give em' the bird"

As Jason says, it's mostly about the people who bring their cars, not the cars themselves. Everyone who brings a car is more than happy to tell you about it, ask questions if there are any, and accept critiques if there are any to be offered. From what I saw in Monterey, at least half of the 63- 64 owners had their hood insulation pieces on the wrong sides. (The cut out in the one triangular piece is there to clear the A/C compressor pulley.) Another thing that I tried to help some folks with was the arrangement of battery cables. On first generation cars, the positive post needs to be on the radiator side, not the fender side. Taken from my own experience, a positive post coming into contact with a hood brace can cause some serious electrical failures. Luckily for me, the failures ended at an aftermarket amp meter. If not for the ampmeter blowing, I don't even want to think about what other damages could have occured.

My point here is that everyone of the owners I talked with about these situations was more than happy to hear about them. No hard feelings, no animosities. I don't know of anyone who goes to these shows who isn't willing to learn something. Therefore, bring those unfinished jewels to a meet and you'll be surprised at what you might learn, from whom you can get parts, who does good work, and what's supposed to go where. I've been an ROA member since 1985 and I can't remember attending one meet where I didn't learn at least one thing for myself.

See you in Kentucky. The Visitors and Convention Bureau for Lexington says that their city is within 600 miles of 2/3 of the entire population of the U.S. No reason not to put it on your calendar. This should be a BIG meet. It won't be the same without YOU!!!

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

As Jason and Ed said, its not just about the cars...its about the members/friends. I didn't even bring my 92 Riv...I flew out from MA. I got to meet a bunch of CA dudes/dudettes for the first time and to see their Rivs. I've been attending since 2007 but not until this particular meet did I finally get introducedt/talked with Jason and his wife (Boy, do they eat alot!!!). I got to see Ed and Linda Raner again and Marty Hillman and Margie again. Looking forward to driving to Lexington, KY, next year.

Off to the BCA Nationals in NC at month-end (will be driving).

As Jason and Ed said, its not just about the cars...its about the members/friends. I didn't even bring my 92 Riv...I flew out from MA. I got to meet a bunch of CA dudes/dudettes for the first time and to see their Rivs. I've been attending since 2007 but not until this particular meet did I finally get introducedt/talked with Jason and his wife (Boy, do they eat alot!!!). I got to see Ed and Linda Raner again and Marty Hillman and Margie again. Looking forward to driving to Lexington, KY, next year.

Off to the BCA Nationals in NC at month-end (will be driving).

Hey Dave

Ha Ha....yea we aren't shy about going back for seconds....or thirds if no one is looking! We were still regaining weight we lost on the 8.5 mile hike up the mountain to 8600 feet (2500' elevation ascent) at Lake Tahoe the day before the meet. LOL sounds like a good excuse anyway.:D

Thanks so much for your huge contribution assisting with the meet activities. I know you were a Godsend to Ray. Look forward to seeing you in KY.