buick 1924 model 44 roadster

phils

Hi all,

I seem to have abandoned model t's for a model 44 6 cyl buick, only problem is I do not know that much about the model 44..

Now to the question, can you recomend some books which cover the model. As I need to rebuild it I need quite a bit of info pics part books manual etcetc, oh and feel free to think of me as a complete novice as regards buick as I am!!!

Thanks

All

I owned a 1924 model 44, partially restored it, and then sold it about 10 years ago. They are very rare, only 6 or 7 known to exist. You need to get a copy of the 1924 Six-Cylinder Reference Book (that's what Buick called the owner's manual back then). They show up on Ebay now and then--I may even have one around here somewhere. You also need to find a copy of the Body Manual for 1920s Buicks--covers several years but can be hard to find. There are three series of Buicks in 1924: 30-series 4-cylinder; 40-series 6-cylinder, and 50-series 6-cylinder. The 1925 6-cylinder Buicks are very similar and many parts interchange from 1924 to 1925. Stay away from the 4-cylinder parts & cars--almost nothing interchanges from the fours to the sixes--bodies, dash, guages all different. You need to get the parts catalogue from Bob's Automobilia for reproduction parts. There aren't many, but there are some. I have a few used parts left, mostly fenders, maybe some small parts, not a lot. Where did you find this one and who did you buy it from? At one time, I knew where all of the model 44 owners were.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Its a canadian one- or at least imported into uk from canada. It is partially done but also partially a pile of boxes, so its easy in some ways harder in others as its always easier if you take the bits off!

To be honest I was looking for a roadster model t but fell in love with this as soon as I saw it.

It does seem hard to get info on them, I need to get dimensions to pick it uo (basically make sure i take a trailer to fit it- should have done whilst i was there but forgot (over confidant thought my friends trailer was large- its not!) best I can find is for a 29, but I think they are significantly differant.

Thanks for the info, if you know what you have would be interested in a list- if you want to part with them of course!

I have ordered a few manuals based on the above (ref/parts but could not find the body manual- i did find a set of blueprints (manual) for the 22- i guess thats completely differant?

phils,

Pete has given you an excellent start and I am sure you have his interest.

I sugust you join the Buick Club of America, and the Pre-War Division (no charge for this division) as well as your local chapter. Depending on how you got into this forum you may be able to go back to the BCA home page, or Buick Club of America - BCA - Welcome.

While Pete did not say, he is the Editor of the BCA monthly magazine which you get with membership. He may be able to tell you when articles have appreared on 1924 Buicks

I know somone here in CT that has various parts for 20's Buicks, so once you determine what you need, if anything, we can help.

Is this an existing restored car or one newely found needed some work?

John

Hi

I did not say but I am in uk so I guess nearest chapter is new york at a fair distance!

As to the car, its a partially restored car- not sure about the quality of the work yet but looks okak. Guess will have to strip a few things to find out how good. Biggest problem is half is in boxes, okay less than half, but all the minor trim bits. Looks likely a lot is missing as there are not enough boxes. Plus to compound it I am definatly a newbie on these!

How do i go about joining, oh shortcut above missed it, guess i will follow and see if i can join!

Guest Phil Cordery

Be sure to check the blocks for cracks, I saw this on E Bay, was tempted, If you decide its too much work let me know & I might be intrested.

live in the UK , can offer a full rewire service for you, Phil.

I will either do wiring myself or probably get a period wiring loom from aus and fit it. I would be interested in looking at yours thogh to get an idea or 2 of ahat I have to do.

I suspect a fair few bits are missing but hopefully not the unobtainable ones, the rear chrome bumpers are missing, a lever on the switches is missing I am hoping the switch itself is still good!

As soon as i get her i will do some photos and a hopefully small list of parts needed. sigh thats optomistic isnt it, even more optomistic is i want it on the road this summer- no evenings out for a few months, sigh.

Lovely job on the truck by the way- hope mine turns out as good!

Phil

Hi

I also have a 1924 Buick rhd and live in the UK. I believe the car that you bought (I could be wrong) is a lhd, Flint Built car, green/blue in colour and has not been in the UK long. The car has been sold a couple of times and I spoke to the owner, the previous one that you bought it from. If you post some pictures, I'm sure someone will recognise the car and if you need any help reassembling, then give me a call. I bought mine in bits too.

Colin

I see yours is a 54, not sure what the differances are but may well take you up on the offer.

I am pretty sure mine came over in 05.

If you know the old owners do you know why it was never completed, I beleive it came over with a parts car too- do you know what happened to that one?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Well the needed parts list starts to groww!

The needed bits are so numerous its a bit daunting, I have most of the large panels but the little ones are all missing. That coupled with not being anything close to an expert looks like making this a longer job than I would have hoped!

The rear trunk lid is there but very poor, aluminium on the origonal wood- pretty well made but the wood is very poor. Would like a steel one if there are any out there. No hinges for it or locks etc etc etc.

My headlamp swith is missing all its contents so I need one, maybe able to make a good one out of your bad one and my good shell- anyone got anything?

Rear bumpers- I have one half coming but no fittings and still need to find another half.

Tank strap hook, basically most little bits really to save a long list- somewhere the boxes of good little bits got lost and the boxes of unuseable rust holes stayed!

I also need some detail pics of fuel lines etc etc so I can fit them, engine bay cabin - alright everything so if you have any pics of any part of 24/25 that shows how it should be please post/send etc etc

I suggest that you check the Buick Heritage Alliance's web site - www.buickheritagealliance.org.

On the home page click on Research Archive and then Browse by Year. Click on 1924 and you'll find several items available, including both the Buick Reference Book - Six Cylinder Models for 1924 and the Buick Book of Parts - Six Cylinder for 1924.

I purchased both the reference book and the book of parts for my 1922 model 46 and am happy that I did.:)

Guest Phil Cordery

Re the ignition /light switch, I purchased a pair of new levers, but when I went to fit found my pot metal switch in a thousand pieces, so I modified another type of switch & have the 2 New levers & internals available, lets have a look at what you have left & I can then compare, internal shot please.

Hi

Well getting more into the car now

The are are a number of engine issues.

First the big ends are way too tight, although very good looks like the engine builder went to metal to metal then left it. As such I need some big end shims does anyone know who does them now?

The water pump is seized very solid, I see no chance of getting it freed up anyone know of a trick, or a pump and shaft? I have it off but ......

The valve guides are well worn, bearing in mind its a 24 can you still get new guides- oh and can someone confirm they are removable? I know 25's are.

The clocks are pretty much gone west. the speedo is well shot and will be taking pics of the switch to see if anyone can help there! So does anyone have any spare clocks?

Can anyone send me pics of the trunk hinge set up- my trunk has no hinges at all and I will need to either source some or make some.

Can anyone reccomend a place to look up how to rebulid the carb, its clean and all but as lots of other engine bits have caused problems would like to check it out!

I have no rear bumpers and would like some.

I have no spare rims/tyres and would like some.

Anyone have pics of petrol pipe runs?

Most of the bearings in the brakes sytem need replacing- is there anywhere to get them ?

Phils

If all the linkages and levers in the brake system are badly worn and oval, drill them out to an oversize hole and put in a larger bolt/pin. For the large lever that goes through the front wheel baking plate. It will need re-sleeving to remove the play

Rod

Hi

More missing bits seems like the emergency brake for the left hand side is missing too. Sigh anyone got any bits?

Annoyingly I took a few photos today to post but my pc and phone had an argument and are not talking now, sigh

Still at least the camera will.

Here (i hope) are the pics of what I have for my switch- not much!

My speedo is bust as well, both a resuklt of a failed attempt at restoration by a po I think.

Ah well to bobs part list now!

post-85147-143138977684_thumb.jpg

post-85147-143138977702_thumb.jpg

Guest Phil Cordery

See attached pics of the internals of Switchbox I have available.

The levers are brand new & unused.

the contents you see includes everything out of the switch.

having fun on mine evicting Termites, all the wood from rear door back has been eaten to within a few thou of outside skin.

My phone No 01248 717808

post-80927-143138978261_thumb.jpg

post-80927-143138978264_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anglesey (see edit history)

Ah the joy of buicks, went to see angeleseys car and realised i had not seen any throttle bits, alas a search revealed - nothing, except the carb!

Does anyone have the bits- or know who does them? (links plates etc etc)

Phil

Phil,

You still haven't given us much info on this car.

Is it RHD or LHD?

Is it Buick Flint bodied, Canadian McLaughlin, UK coachwork, European coachwork or even Australian Holden bodied?

Do you have the ID plate which should answer these questions or engine and chassis numbers?

A restored 1924 model 44 went from here ( Perth, Western Australia ) to the UK about 12 or so years ago and was owned by Colin Lambert from Wrexham over there. This was a nicely restored vehicle and would be ideal to view to see what you needed and where everything fits.

Alternatively there is a beautifully restored 1924 McLaughlin Model 45 ( tourer ) which I believe is coming on the market here in the near future if you are interested.

As others have commented lets have some photos.

post-31244-1431389861_thumb.jpg

Its a left hand drive flint bodied 1924 6 cylinder ie a 24 6 44.

Standard american spec and a texas car for most of its life as far as I can gather.

So all carb bits are as per any us car.

the car is a flint car left hand drive.

Still missing emergency brake for left rear, speedo, throttle linkages the ones on the carbs speedo, rear bumpers and a shed load of other small bits!