Shipping an Engine

scott12180

Hi all ---

I need to ship an engine from a 1924 Franklin. Just the crankcase, not the cylinders. So the dimensions are 48" long and about 20"x20". The problem is that it will have included the long big crankshaft and the flywheel, so the total weight is about 270 pounds, best I can estimate.

I did not think it would weight this much so it's nice to know that at age 51 I can still be as naive as a teenager on some things. :-) UPS will take only up to 160 pounds, so that option is out.

Any recommendations on how to get this from Albany, New York to Minneapolis?

It will be in a crate.

Thanks -- Scott

Scott, Call your local LTL(less than truckload) trucking companies and ask if they ship to the destination location or if they interline. Ask what they would charge you for shipping. They will ask several questions on weight,size,etc. Do you have a way to load the engine? If not maybe you can arrange a pickup at a local company that has lifting equipment. They may even ship it for you from their location. Doesn't hurt to ask!. Good luck!

Guest Bob Call

A couple of years ago I had a Ford 4L V6 shipped from the Milwaukee area to Tulsa, OK. I used R+L carriers. The engine was on a pallet and was picked up at a salvage yard that had fork lift to put it in the trailer. It was delivered to a auto repair shop that also had a fork lift to take it off the trailer. The cost was about $240. You will have to have it delivered to a point that can take the pallet off the trailer as the driver will not unload it. The freight broker I used told me that any auto engine pallatiezed can go about anywhere in the 48 states for less than $300. But, remember two of three years ago diesel fuel was a third of wht it is now.

Guest cben09

Yes,,,,UPS has a freight dept,,,works well,,,Comercial address helps,,,and crew to load,,or forklift,,OR,,???,,

If no lifting equipment on site,,,the charge for liftgate truck is $140,,,from memory,

The driver called twice to coordinate time of pickup,,,great help,,,they changed his route by 150 miles so he got here at 645 instead of 4pm,,,it was snowing up north,,haha,, Vermont to Maine,, The crate was 450#and arrived in Ohio without any dammage,,I put 2x4 on bottom so it could be handled by either a pallet jack OR a forklift,,,Keep em happy,,oh yeh put rope handles on too,,,Would do it all again,,

Cheers,,Ben in Maine

Guest Jsweinrich

Yep, I shipped an engine from VA to MA via UPS Freight front door to from door. Crate and engine was 450 lbs.

Consider:

www.FreightCenter.com

Phone: 1-800-716-7608, Fax: 727-450-7808

Mon-Fri: 8:00am-9:30pm (EST), Sat: 9:00am-5:00pm (EST), Sun: 10:00am-4:00pm (EST)

This is a recent quote for a 200 pound engine (48X36X24) from Fla to NJ, dropped of at origin terminal and picked up at a destination terminal, The results range quite a bit:

Xpress Global 5 business days $178.22

Estes Express 3 business days $184.36

UPS Freight 2 business days $195.46

Old Dominion Freight Line 2 business days $197.40

Fedex Economy 3 business days $203.13

R + L Carriers 2 business days $210.00

Fedex Priority 2 business days $214.20

Old Dominion **GUARANTEED DAY DELIVERY BY 5PM** 2 business days $253.61

R + L Carriers **GUARANTEED DAY DELIVERY BY 5PM** 2 business days $257.58

Central Transport 3 business days $280.47

UPS Freight **GUARANTEED DAY DELIVERY BY 5PM** 2 business days $286.41

Averitt Express 3 business days $308.91

Pilot Home Delivery Basic Service 2 business days $361.46

“2 Man Delivery to Threshhold" (Bronze Service) 4 business days $484.23

“Inside Delivery" (Silver Service) 3 business days $524.74

“Inside Delivery & Unpacking" (Gold Service) 3 business days $555.61

You Crate - Cube 46” x 49” x 50” Inside Dimensions 3 business days $570.28

Pilot Home Delivery Premier Service 2 business days $725.14

You Crate- Tower 46” x 49” x 80” Inside Dimensions 3 business days $726.15

Flatbed Partial Up To 12ft 3 business days $1897.00

Panther 9ft Cargo Van 1 business days $2470.23

53FT Dry Van Full Truckload 3 business days $2910.66

Flatbed Partial 12 to 24ft 3 business days $3156.84

Panther 24ft Straight Truck 1 business days $3420.32

48ft Flat Bed Truck 3 business days $4199.47

Not applicable for this, but Greyhound also does freight (bus's lower cargo compartments). Good for bulky items like fenders. 100 pound limit and "If it fits it ships" Drop off and pick up at terminals.

Friartuck,

Chris Wantuck

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

Guest mr hipster

All good information but the success of the effort may depend on the skill of the carpenter building the shipping container. Fortunately the valve covers were the only casulty of this poor preperation.

post-72275-143138942722_thumb.jpg

post-72275-14313894274_thumb.jpg

Guest Old48Truck

Dang, Scott! If I had someone who wanted something shipped back from Minneapolis. I'd seriously consider throwing (placing gently) that engine in my minivan and haul it out there for you. I'm up for a good road trip.

From your Zip Code, I think you're just across the Hudson from me.

I have used uShip.com for several years with good success. I have had several cars shipped and usually at less than I can do it myself. In fact my last 2 Amphicars will be on "Shipping Wars" TV show sometime in Aug-ish from a uShip transaction, but this is not why I use them.

I will reiterate that the crate should be very stout. It will probably be buried under other freight and not babied much so use a good quality pallet to build the base off of and use screws to secure 1/2" - 3/4" plywood and 2x4 framing. With uShip it could be somebody with a pickup to a full on semi picking it up. You get to choose who and how much. Choices are what I like!

I originated this thread and wanted to fill in on the end result.

I went with Estes Trucking through freightquote.com. To Minneapolis the cost was $178, which was pretty reasonable. It would have cost me $400 in gas alone to drive out and back. That price included me bring the engine to the Estes terminal in Albany, NY and it being delivered to the shop which had a fork lift.

I will advise that you can't crate the engine too well. I was fixated on weight since originally I wanted to send it UPS and they have an upper limit, unless you use their freight service. So, using what was around the barn I made a crate out of 1x3's and masonite which looked really nice but apparently did not hold up well. The engine survived with no damage but the crate was falling apart when it arrived. Being a novice to shipping engines, I didn't realize how often a crate must be moved from truck to truck during the process. And no one is going to be as gentle as I am. I guess I got lucky but as someone posted earlier with a photo it could have easily damaged the engine. Maybe I'll go out there to pick it up after I have new bearings made.

So, Estes was just fine and the price very reasonable, but spend the bucks on good crating material, and then ask an experienced guy how to build a bulletproof crate.

--Scott

Do they provide you with a Certificate of Insurance ? I notice that the "shippers" highlighted on TV seem not to bother with such details as DOT numbers on their trucks, Bills of Lading etc and I have yet to see one fill out a Log. I would want concrete evidence of insurance before I trusted them with anything of value.

Yes the insured shippers provide all the info. for you to be certain.

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up on shipping my engine parts to Minnesota,

A couple of weeks after the engine was delivered I got a notice from Frieghtquote.com that my weight was revised to be DOUBLE what I declared. Estes Express raised my weight from the 270 pounds that I claimed to 515 pounds. (!!) With no explanation given, they billed my credit card directly for the extra amount, without my consent.

Now 515 pounds for what I sent is absolutely absurd. I weighed it myself and got 250 pounds, then added 20 pounds for the crate material. If I was off, it was only maybe ten pounds.

Freightquote has been sympathetic. They filed a dispute with Estes on my behalf. I supplied photographs, a spreadsheet of individual component weights, and had the shop to whom the engine was shipped write a professional declaration that the weight could not possibly be any more than 270. Further I disputed the additional charge to my credit card with Bank of America. All these disputes could take up to three months to resolve.

The upshot is, when you ship, it would benefit you to get the crate weighed commercially with a written declaration. Or have your trucking company weigh it right there in front of you, like UPS does when you ship a package. Otherwise you are at their mercy if you state a weight and they accept it when you ship.

How Estes could revise my weight to nearly DOUBLE what I claimed is astounding. Needless to say, I cannot recommend Estes Express.

And now I've got to figure out how to get the engine back to Vermont . . . .

I had a good experience with uShip. The shipper was a little less 'official' than some may like. It was really cheap though. I think uShip will match the shipper to your needs. My need was 'blanket wrapped parts' and they fit that perfectly.

I suspect you ran up against a minimum weight based on size. If a package is over a certain size you pay for a certain weight regardless the ACTUAL weight of the shipment. You'll find that the price likely would be the same with whatever truck line you use. It's more about the amount of space the item takes up in the truck than the actual size. What was your actual cost to ship? I worked in the trucking industry for 10 years and the way rates are calculated can be confusing.

I had a good experience with uShip. The shipper was a little less 'official' than some may like. It was really cheap though. I think uShip will match the shipper to your needs. My need was 'blanket wrapped parts' and they fit that perfectly.

I would still be worried about insurance regardless of statements made by the "unofficial" shipper.