1911 Buick McLaughlin? Looking to Clarify what I have.

Tom Laferriere

Hi all,

I purchased what I believe to be a 1911 Buick McLaughlin, all original and

unrestored. I will post some pictures in the picture folder. Here are the

numbers:

Chassis Plate: 5338

Right Rear Engine Mount: 5805

Left Front Engine Mount: 15753

What can you tell me about what I have based on the numbers? Its a 3 speed selective shift.

Thank you,

Tom Laferriere

Smithfield, RI

post-37975-143138893517_thumb.jpg

post-37975-14313889352_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138893523_thumb.jpg

I think it might be a 1912 Model 35. Should have the 165 cid engine first seen in the Model 10 of 1910 and have a 102" wheelbase. The 1911 versions used a two speed planetary trans where the 1912 has a three speed sliding gear type. It could have been built in late 1911.

WOW! I love that car! Have you had any thoughts towards restoration vs. preservation?
It would be a sin to restore this car. I am in the process of servicing it and installing new tires. If all goes well, it will be in the NY International Auto Show this year. Of course it will be for sale once I get everything done.

It would be a sin to restore this car.

Two thumbs up! The only thing I can add is if your intention is to sell, why not let the new owner bring it back to life, if they so wish. I know that is how I would like it.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Tom:

If it's a McLaughlin, there will be a McLaughlin serial number plate on the dashboasrd. Probable range of serial numbers for 1911 was 1901 to 2863. The frame number and engine number you give look more like a 1912 model 35 Buick.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Consensus from many of you here and other places that this is a 1912 Buick Model 35. This is just the info I needed and thank you all for taking the time.

I get a great satisfaction bringing a car back to life. The thrill of its first start and the smoke everywhere is just wonderful. Look at this video.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AH0rq8JxB3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've done that at least once before. ;)

Reminds me of a time when a friend of mine bought a model 22 Cat crawler and I helped him get it home and shoved in his shop. It sat out in the woods for a lot of years. The compression was real weak and I put a little 90 weight gear oil down the cylinders to help bring it up. He had this really sexy southern black girlfriend at the time with long legs. She was so good lookin that it would make a Bull Dog want to break his chain. When that old crawler finally fired up the room filled with smoke. I hung around just long enough to see that it had oil pressure and then stood outside of the over head door where Jake already was. Mary was looking out of the window, saw the smoke and came running out of the house like she was running an olympic marathon. She came hollaring in that sweet southern drawl. " Pa! Pa! Do I needs to call the fire department! We both laughed, and had a time convincing her that it was just oil smoke and that it would subside in a few minutes. Thanks for the memories! :cool: Dandy Dave!

• 1 month later...
Guest Rob McDonald

"did it stay in the USA ?"

Hey, wait a minute! This beauty's already been exported once - from Canada. Time now to bring 'er home. Just kidding. What a marvellous sight this is. Not for everyone, in that condition, but a great many of us appreciate this opportunity to witness exactly how Sam McLaughlin saw them rolling off his assembly line.

Those long levers on the right side of the driver - what do they do? The inboard one looks like it travels in an elongated H-pattern. Could that be the gear shift, which is not evident otherwise? Odd that there appears to be a dummy driver's door, traced out in a raised moulding. For symmetry, maybe?

Yes, the lever in slots is the shift, the lever with the button on top is the emergency brake (although it's usually used quite often to get a little extra braking, with two wheel rear brakes it's always exciting!)

A "dummy" right side door was common, when doors started to be added 1911-12 to most cars. With the shift and brake (a common arrangement of the day) levers in the way, you couldn't get in the car seat from that side anyway........

Nice car, sure it went to a good home, just hope it doesn't get restored, that'd be a shame..