how to protect cars stored outside from mice?

I have question I hope I can get help with: storage of cars.

I have 3 collector cars stored in open shed, how to keep mice and other rodents out of them so they dont chew the wiring or upholstery or the convertible top; or nest in the exhaust pipes?

for example, would mothballs deter them?

any help appreciated

thankyou

Jerry Whitfield

winston salem NC

Lots and lots of traps baited with peanut butter or a bait in a small squeeze bottle made by TomCat really seems to work. The new all plastic traps made by TomCat, and others, seem to catch more mice than the wooden ones. Keep em baited and check often. Anything else is wishful thinking..........Bob

It's best to try to keep them out if you can rather than them getting inside after a nice meal of poison to die on or in your seats or ductwork. Even in a trap the decomposing smell will permeate everything.

• If there are holes for them to crawl in, stuff them with steel wool. They will never even try to chew through it. Be sure it doesn't get wet or it will rust. I have stuffed it into the tougher freezer ziplock bags 1st to protect it if possible.
  • Place mothballs inide the car in open shallow jars or plastic butter tubs. They hate the odor.

When I bought my Skyliner, the owner had hundreds of cats so rodents weren't a problem. Not any evidence they had ever been in my car after 25 years outside in the same spot.

Guest bofusmosby

Several months ago, I found a rats nest in my trunk. There were a few rust holes that got in through. Since then, I have repaired those holes, and so far, no problems. The car is in the garage, and since I do have 2 dogs, poison is not an option.

Guest bofusmosby

I just checked out the "Shake Away" product, and it sounds good. Just in case anyone is interested in reading about it, here is a link

Natural Animal Repellents – Shake Away Deterrent Critter-Repellent.com

I'm going to have to give this some serious thought. I've been fighting a rat problem for quite a while now, and because of my dogs, I feel I have been fighting this problem with one hand tied behind my back.

Guest Jim_Edwards

The most effective rodent prevention is a couple of hungry Barn Cats! Seriously a few cats will eliminate the rodent population PDQ which also has the side benefit of breaking up the food chain for snakes and keeping them out of areas you'd rather not be seeing them populating.

Anybody ever try the electronic or ultrasonic mice machines? They are suppose to deter any critter with an electronic sound that doesn't bother dogs or cats.

I've never tried it because I didn't think they would work.

Guest ken bogren

Even though I live in a fairly developed suburb my lot backs up to a 100+/- acre farm field. Mice were a problem, even in my garage.

The solution for inside the car was dryer sheets stuffed behind the back seat, under the seats and in the convertible boot area.

Outside the car I used the plastic alligator style mouse traps with the liquid goop in a bottle (forgot the name).

(When we moved into this house 21 years ago they told us the field would be full of houses in 5 - 7 years. Got a lucky break there and an extra 14 years of pleasant views so far :)

I had to store my fathers lincoln in an impliment shed out on the farm in eastern Iowa for 3 years proir to his passing.

We used Irish Spring soap bars cut into 8 pcs/bar and scattered inside and outside the car, with special emphasis on the engine bay and heater vent area.

In 3 years, no mice.........

Mike in Colorado

Anybody ever try the electronic or ultrasonic mice machines? They are suppose to deter any critter with an electronic sound that doesn't bother dogs or cats.

I use the ones from Tractor Supply (Three settings) in the garage and well house. They work, highest setting will get to you in a short time. Right after we moved in wife bought two and I plugged one in to test. A mouse was in a cracker box in the panty, shook it off the shelf. Sold me.

Guest myold88

Like stated above Bounce dryer sheets. I put them in the engine, passenger and trunk compartments. Non toxic and they work.

• 2 months later...

IRISH SPRING SOAP did not work for me.

I opened the glove box of my Ford Ranger and there was a nice nest of a field mouse with her few day old babies. The bar of soap had lots of nibbles out of it and the pieces were scattered among it's next. I had a whole bar of soap in the glove box. The truck smells real nice and clean.

The mama mouse must have felt dirty and decided to scent her nest.

My registration and insurance card were half eaten as well as tire receipts etc.

Time for plan B - A trip to Tractor Supply for one of the electronic devices.

IRISH SPRING SOAP did not work for me.

I opened the glove box of my Ford Ranger and there was a nice nest of a field mouse with her few day old babies. The bar of soap had lots of nibbles out of it and the pieces were scattered among it's next.

I had the same experience with the dryer sheets. I had a mouse in a car and immediately put 5 or 6 dryer sheets inside, including under the folding rear seat. After I trapped the mouse I folded the seat up and found it had started a nest right next to the (allegedly repellant) dryer sheet. So much for that idea! Todd C

I keep finding weasel droppings in and around the car in my garage.

...sure seems to keep the mice out though.

If you can find someone with a ferret, or more than one, ask them to save the used litter that has been the bathroom area for the ferrets for you. It smells but it works.

Sprinkle that around the vehicles. It will keep rabbits away from stuff also.

I have found that using raw bacon, tied on the trap trigger plate with dental floss, works better than peanut butter. The mice/rats can lick the peanut butter off and not spring the trap. They will tug at the bacon and usually get caught.

Guest Killerbunny
NAPA sells a product called "Store It Right" which claims to repel mice. I have used it for the last two winters in my stored car and it seems to work.

The active ingredient is Balsam Fir Oil.

Yes I can confirm you post...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D

Some have asked what to do in climates that freeze during the winter. One solution that was mentioned was the old water bucket and the ramp thing. You take a 5 gallon pail, hook a lath or slat board up to the lip and run the other end down to the floor along a wall edge. (They like to run along the walls). Then there is a flat platform (like a quart paint can lid) that is suspended across the middle of the pail opening on a single wire (like a coat hangar wire) about three inches down (punch small holes through the side of the plastic pail for the coat hangar wire) from the rim where the ramp attaches. That will cause the platform to spin when the mouse jumps onto it.

The pail is filled with your fall antifreeze drainings up to near the bottom (1/2" below) of the level paint can lid. The mouse wants to get to the tasty liquid but can't reach it from the ramp. So it jumps onto the paint can lid. The lid spins and sends the little guy for a swim. The little bit of bent coat hangar wire that hangs down on the outsides of the bucket re-stabilizes the lid into a flat position when the "spin" is done. It is then automatically reloaded for the next victim. [Those with dogs and house cats may be able to devise a way to prevent their pets from getting into the antifreeze, like a snap on lid for the paint pail that has a large hole cut out by the paint can lid so it can still spin down in there a bit but your pets can't get into it. This system is a bit touchier if you have pets, granted.]

This system will not freeze, has it's own bait smell, is heavy enough it won't tip over, reloads itself for continuous use and keeps the mice in a scent free environment until cleaned out in the spring.

I know this disturbs some people but so does all the damage to your newly upholstered restoration!

I have also used the ultrasonic "chasers" (one near the front of the car on the floor and one near the back pointed toward each other) and to the best of my knowledge they have worked too! So I would think between these two systems you should be mouse and rodent free without making your nice old car smell like a mothball!