Moving Reatta prototype convertible

Barney Eaton

Ivy Tech in Lafayette Indiana has an early Reatta prototype convertible made from a 1988 coupe. The car is in pretty good condition. Because it is probably the first convertible made, it has no top mechanism.

Ivy Tech considers it surplus and in their way, however they have kept it inside because of the lack of top. Kingsley Baker went on a campaign to find it a home after the Olds museum in Lansing decided they did not want it.

It looks very promising that the San Diego Auto Museum will end up with the car.

This is where we can get involved. Ivy Tech will not pay to get it transported and San Diego does not have the funds either.

Here is the plan.................

The Reatta Division is asking for donations to go toward the cost of transporting of the car from Lafayette to San Diego.

It must be move in a closed trailer because of the lack of top. Kingsley has one quote for $1900. So at this time that is our goal.

Ed Farnell will accept your check and hold it until this actually happens. As of yesterday, we have $500 committed.

If you choose to help, your committment will only be used for moving the car.

Should this fall thru, your check will be returned.

Checks should be sent to Ed Farnell (RDiv treasurer) 440 Langford Rd Blythewood, SC 29016 please note on the check it is for transporting the car.

If you have information or contact with a carrier that will move the car for less, please post your contact information here so that Kingsley can follow-up.

This car is a must save, I will send Ed money also. We have a lot of Reatta Division members that I know will contribute and a lot of non Reatta Club members the I know will step up to this cause. In 50 years this car could be held in high honor like the Buick Y Job. They only make 1 or 2 protos and we could are the ones who will save this bit of history. Please if you can send a check or money order to Ed Farnell no matter how much. With as many Reatta owners as we have it should not take more than a week or two to get to our goal of $1900.00. I am mailing a check today

I will ask Ed for Names not amounts so we can send information to Pete Phillips so he can publish this effort in the Buick Bugle so the Reatta and their owners get some "Credit" for this project. If you wishnot to have your name listed, no problem. Just send money

I know that Kinglsley and Barney both have spent a lot of hours working on this project, Thanks for your efforts.

As was stated in the Barney post above in the event the project falls thru your money will be returned.

Thanks

Chuck Kerls

Attached is a picture I snapped over 5 years back. Somewhere I have a couple of overall shots, but this picture shows several differences from production.

(1) gas struts to hold the boot open

(2) the boot gasket is not close to the production version

(3) note there are no mounting holes for the top mechanism....this car never had a top.

The car could use some detailing but the paint is not that bad and the pinstripe looks great.

post-30596-143138869568_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingsley

This is the history of this project as known to me.

I picked up this project back in early October of last year and have pursued it to this point. My only thought was to save this car from the fate that seemed to be emminent and termed the rallying phase of "What a tragedy it would be for this car to end up in a salvage yard, ultimately crushed/scrapped then chopped up and sold on the worldwide scrap market". All along, the prime beneficiary was to be "the car" and donation to a Museum appeared about the only way that the current possessor, the Ivy Tech Community College, could be relieved of the limitations imposed by GM.

Please note the previous posts and I hope that everyone will get behind this project and make it happen.

"The car", the beautiful car, will appreciate the contributions!

This is a great project and Kingsley and Barney have put a lot of time and effort into it. I hope the contributions come in and possibly a lower transportation cost might be found as well. (Kingsley - I have sent you an email regarding posting the proprietary info as it goes forward).

Also thanks to Ed for handling the donations. Mine is on the way. I hope this project succeeds!

Guest tempest6cyl

This looks like one of the show cars ASC made for Buick for the auto show circuit. I don't recall if they were for the 1988 or 1989 calendar year. Early engineering prototypes were mainly ride mules and didn't have this level of trunk trim. Any chance there is a picture of the bottom side of the rockers or underbody ?

Guest Kingsley

Andy Foster - "blue72beetle" here on the Forum took a number of pictures of "the car" at the Ivy Tech College in Lafayette, IN. Here is one, with more to come as we move along, that set's the tone for the project. It has not been retouched but is just as it was received by them from GM.

This is a great Reatta and a great project benefitting all Reatta owners. Your help, as indicated above, will help make it happen.

Remember - what a tragedy it would be for this Reatta to end in a scrap yard, crushed, chopped into pieces and then sold on the worldwide scrap market. The goal of this project is to keep that from happening. With your help, it aint gonna happen!

post-60069-143138869821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kingsley
Typo (see edit history)

Interesting hood insulator. Supports the idea that it was made for show purposes. Also note that the underside of the hood and portions of the engine bay have been repainted black for some reason, and the drivers side tubular front-end reinforcement is missing.

I'll plan on making a contribution to the moving fund, and hope that it will be spared. Would be nice if the receiving museum can clean it up and make it a bit more worthy of display.

KDirk

Guest Kingsley

Kevin - nice to hear from you and thanks for the contribution - much appreciated.

During the discussion with the Museum, I made a specific point to make sure, through numerous emails and photos, that they were well apprised of the condition of "the car". They gave a nice level of comfort when they stated that they had their own restoration factilities.

This looks like one of the show cars ASC made for Buick for the auto show circuit. I don't recall if they were for the 1988 or 1989 calendar year. Early engineering prototypes were mainly ride mules and didn't have this level of trunk trim...

The car looks to be an '88. Has the "3800" on top of the intake plenum and three relays on the firewall.

OK, the bank is officially open. I will collect all donations received over the next several weeks. All checks received to help move the prototype, will not be cashed until all arrangements have been finalized. I will post the total received on this thread once a week until we reach the $1,900 goal starting next Saturday March 10th. If you do not wish to have your name published as a donor, please indicate that on a note with your check.

Checks should be made out to the Reatta Division, BCA and mailed to 440 Langford Road, Blythewood, SC 29016.

Looks like we may have three pledges for $100 each already.

Ed Farnell

For those out there waiting to commit when the deal is done, how about sending Ed an email with your pledge. Then when everything is formalized, Ed can send everyone that has pledged a note telling them to send their check.

This will also allow Ed to post a note letting us know where we stand on funds and he will shut off the pledges when the goal is met.

If that sounds good, Ed's Reatta email = Reattaclub@aol.com

Guest Kingsley

Regarding Walt's (WWS'944) post above, I tried on two occasions last evening to repond but could not get it through. Did let him know, and I thank him for the inquiry, that while I did not have the VIN at hand, it definitely was an '88 model VIN .

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)

Guest steveskyhawk

Two comments/suggestions on moving this car. I see there is no battery in the car. Car moving companies charge a significant surcharge to move a car that does not run. The reason is obvious. If it needs a battery and fresh gas to get it to run that might save a lot of money. The other suggestion is to contact Mike Rukavina at buickreattaparts.com. I suspect he can and will move that car for about half of the quoted price.

Guest blue72beetle

Hahaha, that car ain't moving under it's own power at all.

Battery and gas is the least of it's worries.

And yes, it's an 88, has a 90 interior, and it's been on Barney's database for a long time.

Two comments/suggestions on moving this car. I see there is no battery in the car. Car moving companies charge a significant surcharge to move a car that does not run. The reason is obvious. If it needs a battery and fresh gas to get it to run that might save a lot of money. The other suggestion is to contact Mike Rukavina at buickreattaparts.com. I suspect he can and will move that car for about half of the quoted price.

I strongly disagree. I suggest not contacting Mike Rukavina.

Besides, Kingsley has a handle on transportation.

Ya know I am like Barney I hear a lot of talk but only a hand full of folks have stepped up to send a check. I personally would hate to see the Reatta Division foot the bill when everybody even non members will enjoy the chance to see this car. I know a lot of people on this fourm are not members for one reason or another, but lets all pull together now and make the commitment to get this done. If you own and like the Reatta step up and be counted. There is no one out there that cant afford a few dollars to save this car. You dont have to pledge or send $100.00 just send $10.00. Save a few bucks at lunch and send some to Ed for the car. I mailed my check yesterday By this time next monday I think we could meet the goal that is needed to get the car to the museum. Come on guys and gals lets get this going

Thanks

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

This thing is starting to get complicated. Since I am the one that has to collect and account for the money, I would rather you send in your donation rather than holding it until we reach the goal. It would be nice if you would email me and tell me the check is in the mail and how much it is for. That way I can tell how we are doing before the snail mail arrives. My better email address is eafarnell@gmail.com. Hope we can get er done!

Ed

I agree with Chuck and Ed. (Ed, you know the amount of my check and its been sent.) Let's get members and non-members involved, even if its just for a few bucks. This is a worthwhile project for anyone interested in the soon-to-be-classic Buick Reatta.

Guest Kingsley

Ed - when the mail carrier comes tomorrow, he will leave with my check.

Add $100 to the pot as a pledge now and a donation when it arrives!

I agree with Chuck and Ed. (Ed, you know the amount of my check and its been sent.) Let's get members and non-members involved, even if its just for a few bucks. This is a worthwhile project for anyone interested in the soon-to-be-classic Buick Reatta.
Now that it is official that non-members may participate in saving the topless Reatta, I would like to announce that ReattaOwner.com's corporate office has authorized me to donate half of last month's profit from The Reatta Store to this project. A check will be going out to Ed tomorrow. I challenge all the vendors who profit from the sale of Reatta parts to do the same. :)

This is sort of off topic, but at the same time something that needs to be brought up in keeping the Division up to date.

First of all, I will be sending a donation along with my dues sometime this week.

Secondly, the Division should take the time to make a PayPal account. This would help greatly with getting new, younger members.

You can easily accept credit cards though PayPal, and you can even send invoices to people's email addresses for yearly dues. Somebody should do this, link it to the club bank account. It will make things so much easier. Increase new membership, keep old member (by making it easier to pay dues), and get this club out of the '90s, and into the 21st century.

Guest Kingsley

Steve - thanks for your comments and suggestion that we contact Mike Rukavina regarding the project's transportation needs. Good idea.

Please have Mike email/call Barney or Chuck expressing his interest and, if does so, he will be considered along with the rest of the offerrors when the arrangements are being made.

Edited by Kingsley
Correct typo (see edit history)

This is sort of off topic, but at the same time something that needs to be brought up in keeping the Division up to date.

First of all, I will be sending a donation along with my dues sometime this week.

Secondly, the Division should take the time to make a PayPal account. This would help greatly with getting new, younger members.

You can easily accept credit cards though PayPal, and you can even send invoices to people's email addresses for yearly dues. Somebody should do this, link it to the club bank account. It will make things so much easier. Increase new membership, keep old member (by making it easier to pay dues), and get this club out of the '90s, and into the 21st century.

Marck I totally agree with you and the issue of cost will have to be worked out but I am sure it can be. My suggestion to you is work something out and present it to the current Board at the National meet this summer in Charlotte. A good and fair program could be worked out.

Thanks for the donation, I am sure that a lot of folks will follow yours and Ronnie's lead for the vendors.

Thanks lets rock and roll

Chuck Kerls

Marck I totally agree with you and the issue of cost will have to be worked out but I am sure it can be. My suggestion to you is work something out and present it to the current Board at the National meet this summer in Charlotte. A good and fair program could be worked out.

Thanks for the donation, I am sure that a lot of folks will follow yours and Ronnie's lead for the vendors.

Thanks lets rock and roll

Chuck Kerls

It's completely free to set up an account. They do charge a very small fee to accept payments from other PayPal users, or credit cards. But for the convience, it's well worth the few cents they'll charge you per $10 dues.

Secondly, the Division should take the time to make a PayPal account.

I would send $25 by PayPal. I want the amount out of my account now, rather then wait.

Devil's Advocate. Wasn't there a closer museum considered? Somewhere in the central part of the country. I will likely never get to San Diego.

2. Why is this car considered so important. It originally started out as an 88 coupe, Buick did some hacking on it for mule testing, and now it's so valuable? If it was a road tested, finished car that directly led to the 90-91 convertible program, then I would call it a true pre-production rarity.

If it were a one-off test or show car, the VIN would be XXX something but this car would be an 88 coupe VIN, as I understand it.

3. If there is a slight overage on the amount collected, it should be donated to the museum for restoration costs.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Now that it is official that non-members may participate in saving the topless Reatta, I would like to announce that ReattaOwner.com's corporate office has authorized me to donate half of last month's profit from The Reatta Store to this project. A check will be going out to Ed tomorrow. I challenge all the vendors who profit from the sale of Reatta parts to do the same. :)

I agree,

I am sending a check and Marck has said he will. So far so good. Any others?

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

With respect to Marck's posting about the Paypal account and BJM asking if Eds Paypal account is his email address, it should be noted that if Eds address is his Paypal account it would be his personal account and not an account of the Reatta Division.

The two hardest jobs in the Reatta division is the treasurer ( Ed ) and the Gills who put together the newsletter. Both these positions are volunteer and in both cases quite a few hours per month are donated to the club.

To ask Ed to use his personal account and then have to transfer those funds to the Reatta div is a little more than we should ask of him.

Maybe at the next division meeting as someone suggested we can figure something out but right now lets just send checks as is suggested. It is 45 cents and an envelope.

Sure, checks are fine for now. I have to problem with that. I'm just bringing up the subject that it would definitely be more convenient for me and i'm sure other members to be able to to with PayPal or credit card. It's just what needs to be done in the near future to grow the division. Especially since membership has been dropping in recent years.

Guest Kingsley

BJM - Thanks very much for the donation. I speak only for myself in addressing the points that you mention.

1. Honestly, I did not concern myself with finding a location that was geograhically attractive to owners from Maine to Texas and Florida to Washington and I accept the criticism for that.

2. I am sure that everyone has their own opinion about this car and I certainly respect yours but I do not follow your line of thinking. My view is that GM was not about to come forward with a convertible with a makeup that was drasticly different from the earlier Reattas so it was quite logical that they would start with a Reatta coupe and work from there. I considered this car for what it is - a prototype of the Reatta convertible.

Museums know what they want to display and the San Diego Museum has spoken for this one.

Edited by Kingsley
Merely punctuation (see edit history)

Sure, checks are fine for now. I have to problem with that. I'm just bringing up the subject that it would definitely be more convenient for me and i'm sure other members to be able to to with PayPal or credit card. It's just what needs to be done in the near future to grow the division. Especially since membership has been dropping in recent years.

When we post something, even helpful hints we need to be sure we are accurate.

I am 100% sure Marck is not trying to say anything bad but he is sometimes being fed bad information.

To say the membership is dropping is not true.

In a phone conversation with Ed, the sec/treas, a few days ago, he mentioned that it is not dropping.