Chrysler Pickup

Richard1

I'm likely going to buy this pickup to restore. Can anyone give me some help on where I'll find parts or manuals? I haven't found anything on google yet that resembles it

The owner has to dig out the paperwork, but remembers it as a 1927. His father drove it til 15 or 20 years ago. Has the Chrysler emblem on the radiator and dash, is right-hand-drive. It is prior to front wheel brakes.

post-56369-143138841224_thumb.jpg

post-56369-143138841227_thumb.jpg

post-56369-143138841229_thumb.jpg

post-56369-143138841232_thumb.jpg

A little more info:

It is a 4 cylinder with rear wheel only mechanical brakes. It is registered as a 1928.

The owner's father bought it in 1968 for his cousin, who drove it for 3 years. In 89 the cousin transferred it to him and it has been in his garage ever since.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Looks like an Australian Ute with that right hand drive.

Most vehicles destined for the Canadian market prior to 1929 were right hand drive so it could well be Canadian. Canada reversed their highway system in 1929 to be the same as the U.S.

Guest Jim_Edwards
The top is a non-original part of that vehicle.

Good eye! It is really obvious when one looks at the windshield. That roof looks like something that would have been cut from something from a late 1930s or early 1940s coupe. Willys?

Looks to be a 1924 altered roadster. It has the split windshield as in 1924. It looks to have a cowl mounted gas tank, maybe, which of course is totally incorrect. It has the incorrect headlamps, too. I see what looks to be a splash apron "kick plate" under the door. I think it used to look like this......except for the right hand drive.

post-37352-143138842694_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim_Edwards
Looks to be a 1924 altered roadster. It has the split windshield as in 1924. It looks to have a cowl mounted gas tank, maybe, which of course is totally incorrect. It has the incorrect headlamps, too. I see what looks to be a splash apron "kick plate" under the door. I think it used to look like this......except for the right hand drive.

Maybe, but the top on that roadster in the picture is not steel. Chrysler did make light trucks for a couple of years before acquiring Dodge, but none look like the whatever it is in the Original Post other than the radiator.

Maybe, but the top on that roadster in the picture is not steel. Chrysler did make light trucks for a couple of years before acquiring Dodge, but none look like the whatever it is in the Original Post other than the radiator.

As I said, the top in the car in question is not the original and so, that is why the car in the photo that I posted has a cloth top. Chrysler never had an all steel top until 1936.

Summarizing a bit:

As far as I see, the split windshield is unique to Chrysler

Radiator and dash plate are Chrysler

Wire wheels were on many Chryslers of the period.

Chrysler in fact made 4 cylinder vehicles with manual brakes on rear only for a few years

Some Chrysler pickups were made before the acquisition of Dodge. Do we have any idea of what they looked like? I haven't found any pictures.

The cowl mounted gas tank appears unusual for Chrysler. Where would they have put it on those pickups?

The roof may or may not be original. But the car was apparently originally sold in a city where the mean annual daily high is 42F with the highest month being 51F. Snow falls every month of the year.

The country where it was originally sold drove on the left until 1945, so RHD would be normal.

I understand that some of the Chryslers had custom bodies by Loche, Dietrich and La Baron, but it looks like those were luxury models, not pickups.

Where would I look for a VIN, serial #, or whatever they called them?

Summarizing a bit:

As far as I see, the split windshield is unique to Chrysler

Radiator and dash plate are Chrysler

Wire wheels were on many Chryslers of the period.

Chrysler in fact made 4 cylinder vehicles with manual brakes on rear only for a few years

Some Chrysler pickups were made before the acquisition of Dodge. Do we have any idea of what they looked like? I haven't found any pictures.

The cowl mounted gas tank appears unusual for Chrysler. Where would they have put it on those pickups?

The roof may or may not be original. But the car was apparently originally sold in a city where the mean annual daily high is 42F with the highest month being 51F. Snow falls every month of the year.

The country where it was originally sold drove on the left until 1945, so RHD would be normal.

I understand that some of the Chryslers had custom bodies by Loche, Dietrich and La Baron, but it looks like those were luxury models, not pickups.

Where would I look for a VIN, serial #, or whatever they called them?

Chrysler never made a pickup. The gas tank on that car would have originally been mounted under the frame at the rear. Probably a rectangular tank. The car in question is altered, but not by a custom car body company. The "Chrysler" plate on the dashboard IS the serial number. You may have to look at it at different angles in the light to determine what it says.

Not trying to convince myself of anything, just trying to reconcile information.

Here is the dash plate. When I took the pic I didn't realize it was the number plate.

What other areas should I hask to take pictures of (he has to dig through piles of junk).

post-56369-14313884911_thumb.jpg

I was going to say what you have is absolutey typical of what we down here call a "buckboard". Generally these came about when a tourer (phaeton) or roadster reached the end of its useful life, the rear bodywork was removed and a tray or well sided structure was fabricated in its place.

On second look however, what I see in the rear bodywork looks a little more professional than we come to expect in our home made conversions. Certainly the fuel tank is wrong and has been transfered from its normal place under the rear chassis area, I imagine if you have a look under the tray at rear you will see the cutouts for fuel filler neck etc.

Yes the very early 58 models came with rear mechanical brakes only, as this was a variation of the Maxwell 25C which the Chrysler replaced.

The country where it was originally sold drove on the left until 1945, so RHD would be normal

Argentina ? I note you are in Bolivia (which others do not seem to have picked up)

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

The gas tank looks like it has been added later with a rubber surround around the filler neck.

The tank is probably a separate unit fixed up under the cowl, not part of the cowl like a Model A Ford.

The roof looks like it is the back part of a 30's / 40's sedan with the built in gutters.

Yes, Argentina.

Where would the engine number be located? I'll ask for a picture of that as well. And I'll ask for a clearer picture of the dash plate. What part of the plate are you reading that number. Even with the original I can't see it.

Seeing the dashboard FEDCO plate like this may help.

post-37352-14313885182_thumb.jpg

Guest Foggy norm

He said the roof goes to the floor. On my little computer, what I can see is some nice framing and a rear window. Remind's me of the early teen's & twentie's truck's.

Can anyone see if the rear fender matches the front with those line's.

anxious to see what Keiser figure's out.

Edited by Foggy norm (see edit history)

He said the roof goes to the floor. On my little computer, what I can see is some nice framing and a rear window. Remind's me of the early teen's & twentie's truck's.

Can anyone see if the rear fender matches the front with those line's.

anxious to see what Keiser figure's out.

From what I can see, the fronts match the rears.

I don't find that serial number in my books. Perhaps someone else will find a reference to it. You may be able to get the original paperwork from the Chrysler Museum folks. The rear wheel does not look to be original.....looks more like about a 16" wheel. They should be wood and probably 21". The rear fenders look to be "Bondo'd" or leaded in to the box. Chrysler would not have done that at the factory. A lot of chassis were shipped with the cowl and fenders and a body was added at the car's destination from the factory. Here is the Chrysler Museum link. They usually require $45.00 and right now, the lady who runs it is out on maternity leave.

Home - Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation

In reply to Jim_Edwards. Most of Canada was "always" left hand drive. The following quote is from Wikipedia. Canada drives on the right in LHD (left-hand-drive) vehicles. Until the 1920s, the rule of the road in Canada varied by province: British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island had left-hand traffic, and the other provinces and territories had right-hand traffic. Starting on the west coast on 15 July 1920 and ending on the east coast on 1 May 1924, right-hand traffic was adopted uniformly throughout Canada.<SUP id=cite_ref-57 class=reference>[58]</SUP> Newfoundland was not part of Canada until 1949, and had left-hand traffic until 2 January 1947.

Guest f-aschwanden

It seems to be a 1927 Chrysler Model 50.

Fedco-number from FW-000P to FL-486-E, engine numbers not available.

The car had according the NADA Guide 1935 a manufacturing date from Novembre 1926 (see attachment).

There are been 8 different body styles, but the front window looks like from a open car as 4-door-Touring or a 2-door-Roadster.

post-56019-143138854291_thumb.jpg

Guest Foggy norm

Givin the impression the roof goes to the floor, in the new pix it appear's to have a beltline behind that red thing. The rear wheel look's early-thirties type, same opinion with the steering wheel. I'd like to see a full pic when he get's it out of there.

It seems to be a 1927 Chrysler Model 50.

Fedco-number from FW-000P to FL-486-E, engine numbers not available.

The car had according the NADA Guide 1935 a manufacturing date from Novembre 1926 (see attachment).

There are been 8 different body styles, but the front window looks like from a open car as 4-door-Touring or a 2-door-Roadster.

Thanks for the serial number chart. Looks like you are correct.

Guest 1929model75

I know this is getting of topic of the vehicle in the post. I wanted to post here thanks to the neat fedco chart posted above. I checked my fedco plates on my two 75's the roadster was easy built in Aug 28 My coupe not that easy it starts with a Z I can't find a Z anywhere on the chart. Any Ideas? Chris

post-41842-143138858443_thumb.jpg

Guest Foggy norm

@ Chris,......might be your car is another year than what is shown, only two page's appear. Perhap's the reclusive gentleman in Switzerland will respond to a PM.