Air compressors?

lucky 69

Hi all just wanted to see if any one is used or using a oil less air compressor. I see habor frieght has one. Good price, i think it is a 1.8 hp 126 gallion tank. They have regular ones to.i have not one of this type. All i use is air tools,sandblaster cabnet ect... Just for home no painting or stuff so let me know what you think if you have one how they are.thanks

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

There's no way a little oilless compressor is going to keep up with a sandblaster or even a die grinder. They're good for filling up tires and doing stuff that's intermittent like powering a nail gun, but for prolonged use that puts heavy demands on a compressor, you really want a 2-stage with a big tank. I have an 80 gallon 2-stage unit and it still runs almost constantly when I run the die grinder, and definitely when I run the blast cabinet or sandblaster. Forget horsepower, look at CFM @ rated pressure and compare it to the tools you're using. I think you'll find that none of them can keep up with most of the air cools car guys use on a regular basis.

Do yourself a favor and get the biggest, most powerful compressor you can afford or save up for one. Don't buy a cheap Harbor Freight one that will not deliver the power you need and will break pretty quickly when you over-use it.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the quick replys. Any suggestions on a good one to look at? That would handle cabnet style sandblasting, air tool,ect. .. Just havnt shoped around enough to know what is a good one to go with. Thanks all

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Too many people seem to think that a 120 gal. tankand compressor is better than a 80 gal. tamk and comperssor.

The thing to look at is the CFM (cubic feet per min,) The more CFM, usually the better compressor.

Horse power can also be misleading. Some manufactures rate the horse power at a rate just before it burns up.

RPM is also a deciding factor. A compressor that runs at 3600 rpm is not going to last anyware as long as one that runs at 600 RPM. (Nor be as quiet)

I prefer to buy a used commercial compressor at the same cost as a new handy dandy one.

Consider a 220-240V unit too, if you have access to that voltage in your shop. (If your house or garage has an electric drier, you can put the same type of plug on your air compressor and you won't even have to do any wiring.)

Edited by Crusty (see edit history)

The older Ingersol Type 30 compressors are bullet proof and there are a lot of good used ones out there. An old Ingersol mechanic mechanic told me that as a hobby use machine I couldn't live long enough to wear it out. My understanding is that the new ones are foreign made and Type 30 in name only.............Bob

I have an upright 5 HP Ingersol-Rand two stage compressor. It is rated at 19.5 CFM @ 100 PSI, The motor runs at 1,850 RPM, and the unit is 20+ years old. This unit has served me well and keeps up with my Tip 99'er pot blaster, 5' Cabinet blaster, and any air powered hand tools that I have in the shop. You can never have too much air. About all that I have done is changed the oil from time to time. First thing I did was installed a ball valve in the bottom to make draining the moisture/water out of the bottom of the tank fast and easy. Dandy Dave!

I have an upright 5 HP Ingersol-Rand two stage compressor. It is rated at 19.5 CFM @ 100 PSI, The motor runs at 1,850 RPM, and the unit is 20+ years old. This unit has served me well and keeps up with my Tip 99'er pot blaster, 5' Cabinet blaster, and any air powered hand tools that I have in the shop. You can never have too much air. About all that I have done is changed the oil from time to time. First thing I did was installed a ball valve in the bottom to make draining the moisture/water out of the bottom of the tank fast and easy. Dandy Dave!

good to here , what size of tank is it 60 or 80? what modle is it to? i ve been seaching alot of compressor and have look at ingersol rand site to .wow 20 plus years is great .one of these is in the running .:D the ball valve is a great idea . will do that on no matter what i get. thanks for the info .keep the post coming helping me alot thanks

Edited by lucky 69 (see edit history)

If you don't like a lot of noise go for the 1800 rpm units. The 3600's are way too noisy unless it's enclosed in its own room. I have an 80 gallon Quincy from an old gas station and it's built like a tank. Parts are easily obtained on the internet. It's probably at least 40 years old with one rebuild that I know of.

As mentioned earlier horsepower is no consideration as long as it spins the pump at the proper rpm. Mine is so old it has an ancient 3 hp, 220 volt motor which does just fine. A 6 or 8 hp would make no difference.

impala

Make sure you're comparing CFM at the same pressure. For example, which of these is the better compressor:

22.5 CFM @ 40 PSI

17.0 CFM @ 100 PSI

The 17.0 CFM unit will perform significantly better due to the higher pressure at which it is rated.

A couple more suggestions:

Two stage: In general, two stage compressors generate high pressure (175psi). While your tools may not need this higher pressure, it allows more air to be stored in the tank. An 80 gal tank at 175 psi is going to hold more air than at 100psi. This can mean less on/off cycles and wear.

CFM: Find out the CFM requirements of the tools you want to use. As noted above, the required CFM will be at a certain PSI. Also, make sure the spec is operating (continuous) CFM, not 'from the tank' CFM.

good to here , what size of tank is it 60 or 80? what modle is it to? i ve been seaching alot of compressor and have look at ingersol rand site to .wow 20 plus years is great .one of these is in the running .:D the ball valve is a great idea . will do that on no matter what i get. thanks for the info .keep the post coming helping me alot thanks

I just went to look and it not an Ingersal, but a Cambell Hausfeld Cast Iron series. The compressor sits in a dark corner with the data in the dark and I have not looked in a long time. A lot of these were made by a single company and sold under different names. The compressor is rated to run at 700 RPM. It has two model numbers, model C1051080V, Also, model Cambell Hausfeld number C1050000P It is an 80 gallon tank. I've spent 100's, if not 1000's of hours sandblasting stuff in the last 20 + years and it still runs like the day I got it. It is doubtful that they even make this model any more. Tip offered these as a package deal back in the late 80's, and early 90's when you bought a pot blaster and sandblast cabinet to go with it. My 5 foot cabinet is one with the small window, several years later they came out with a longer window in the same cabinet. If anyone remembers when that was, that would date my compressor. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Guest martylum

Hi-the cfm cubic feet a minute of air produced is related to the horsepower rating. A 5 hp 2 stage unit is a minimum and a 7.5 cfm unit would be more desirable if you use a glass bead cabinet as my modern 5 hp 80 gallon 2 stage unit barely keeps up with demand with a smaller nozzle on the air gun in the cabinet.

Both operate on 220 volts.

Martin Lum

thanks all for the replys .this will be my first big air compressor purchase.so i want to get the right one for the job .i have had little ones before ,just not anything to run blasting cabnet and such.all this info is good to help me out and i do appreciate it a lot. :D so if any one has some more advice or suggestions please post. want to get the most for the money and longevity .

Guest Dick Whittington

I have a Quincy and a Saylor Beale five horsepower. Both are rated at 17 cfm plus at 175 psi. If I run my blast cabinet continuously, neither will keep the pressure much over 100 psi. They would not do it when new.

As has been stated before, figure out the required CFM and then size your compressor accordingly. Stay away from aluminum compressors as they are not real long life units. I think my compressors turn about 500-600 rpms and will run forever. The slower the pump head turns, normally the longer it will last, plus it is quieter.

Also, if you do not need 175 psi to operate your tools, purchase a regulator/drier combo and reduce your pressure in the lines. It will effectively give you a little more capacity/storage