Car That Runs On Air

cutlasguy

What is this?

Will it be the next big thing? Tata Motors of India thinks so. What will the Oil Companies do to stop it?

It is an auto engine that runs on air. That's right; air not gas or diesel or electric but just the air around us. Take a look.

Tata Motors of India has scheduled the Air Car to hit Indian streets by August 2012

The Air Car, developed by ex-Formula One engineer Guy N. For Luxembourg-based MDI,

uses compressed air to push its engine's pistons and make the car go.

The Air Car, called the "Mini CAT" could cost around 365,757 rupees in India or $8,177 US.

The Mini CAT which is a simple, light urban car, with a tubular chassis, a body of fiberglass that is glued not welded and powered by compressed air. A Microprocessor is used to control all electrical functions of the car. One tiny radio transmitter sends instructions to the lights, turn signals and every other electrical device on the car. Which are not many.

The temperature of the clean air expelled by the exhaust pipe is between 0-15 degrees below zero, which makes it suitable for use by the internal air conditioning system with no need for gases or loss of power.

There are no keys, just an access card which can be read by the car from your pocket.

According to the designers, it costs less than 50 rupees per 100 KM, that's about a tenth the cost of a car running on gas.

It's mileage is about double that of the most advanced electric car, a factor which makes it a perfect choice for city motorists. The car has a top speed of 105 KM per hour or 60 mph and would have a range of around 300 km or 185 miles between refuels. Refilling the car will take place at adapted gas stations with special air compressors. A fill up will only take two to three minutes and costs approximately 100 rupees and the car will be ready to go another 300 kilometers.

This car can also be filled at home with it's on board compressor. It will take 3-4 hours to refill the tank, but it can be done while you sleep.

Because there is no combustion engine, changing the 1 liter of vegetable oil is only necessary every 50,000 KM or 30,000 miles. Due to its simplicity, there is very little maintenance to be done on this car.

This Air Car almost sounds too good to be true.

We'll see in August. 2012

post-50838-14313880953_thumb.jpg

post-50838-143138809532_thumb.jpg

This Air Car almost sounds too good to be true.

And when something sounds too good to be true... :rolleyes:

By the way, after the big splash over the Tata Nano, sales of that car have been in the tank. Apparently even the population of India thinks it's a turd.

I looked this up and this same story (Pictures and all) made the rounds in 2007 for it's debut in 2008.

Looks and smells like a hoax. See http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/preview-concept/4217016

Then I found the Compressed Air Rotary Engine being designed in France and tested in Australia.

See http://www.onecommunityranch.org/compressed-air-powered-car/ So i checked it out and found the same

story as 2011 shown as ready to be introduced in 2009 at http://gas2.org/2008/07/15/an-air-car-you-could-see-in-2009-zpms-106-mpg-compressed-air-hybrid/.

Then I found this:

Unfortunately, the dates for the Air Car’s much-publicized release in both Indian and American markets have come and gone with no word about when the vehicle might actually hit the streets.

compressed-air-car-recycling.jpgIn 2009, Tata Motors’ Vice President of Engineering, S. Ravishankar admitted that the project was facing difficulties in terms of vehicle range and cooling. At that time, Ravishankar declined to say whether the company was officially calling off the project, but commented that excessively low engine temperature caused by the compressed air was a major problem.

Although the Tata version of the zero-emissions car might never make it into commercial production, a more credible version is currently being developed by a duo of mechanical engineering professors in India.

Check it out and advise your readers, then you decide if it's ever going to happen.

Paul

I looked this up and this same story (Pictures and all) made the rounds in 2007 for it's debut in 2008.

Looks and smells like a hoax. See http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/preview-concept/4217016

I don't know about a hoax, but it seems unlikely that compressed air will ever be a practical product due to several inefficiencies. (see: Compressed Air Cars - Myths of Compressed Air Technology - Popular Mechanics ).

However my favorite quote on this particular car comes from Paul's link:

Of course, the Air Car will likely never hit American shores, especially considering its all-glue construction.

3200 cubic feet of 4500 psi air? All glue construction? Sign me up! :rolleyes::D

Years ago I read a book from 1903 that was all about the latest inventions - the Morgenthaler linotype machine, a solar powered steam engine on an ostrich farm in California, and a car that ran on liquid air.

Ordinary air will turn to a liquid if compressed to a high enough pressure, around 600PSI and will stay in a liquid state if kept cold. The liquid air car was "fueled" from a compressor station and kept its fuel in a Dewar flask or Thermos.

The air was released through a steam engine.

The car seems to have run successfully but did not put the gas, electric and steam car out of business.

Liquid Air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is still a Liquid Air company in the welding gas business. Wonder if this is how they got their start.

......There is still a Liquid Air company in the welding gas business. Wonder if this is how they got their start.

And it's a lucrative business transporting liquid gases by the tractor trailer load. You can recognize them by the vapors trailing the rigs going down the road. :)

All of the unloading lines are frozen over on the outside from the condensation of the outside air.;)