So you like small cars.....

Dave@Moon

trident.jpg

In the spirit of the Peel Trident of the 1960s, meet the brand new 2012 PEEL, available now in the U.K. for $10,772. It's street legal in all of Europe. (The same, new PEEL Engineering Co. also makes a replica of the 1960s P50 models, but they are electric and not street legal. This is a fully functioning, minimum 45 mph road-going vehicle.)

The PEEL, world's smallest car, now available new | Hooniverse

Guest ken bogren

Oh man....

Has anyone else seen the video at the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville showing their Peel Trident being driven on the streets? Watching the little Trident come up the street followed by an 18 wheeler makes the micro car aspect the Trident really stand out.

These are really cool little cars, unless you are driving it in the summer heat :)

Guest straight shooter

I don't know if the $10,772 is in dollars or british pounds but either way it is a lot of money for a go cart with a fiberglass body.

There is a fellow local to me who has a restored Peel and I've had a couple of rides in it. There is no way I could drive it as the distance between the pedals and the steering wheel is less than the distance between my knees and my ankles.

Sure does draw a crowd at shows. Seems to be popular with the ladies.

Yeah but there are some places that you can still get a DUI while even riding a bicycle.:eek:

HUH? I didn't say you could drive it drunk, you just don't need a licence for anything under 50cc which you probably wouldn't have after a DUI or 4.

ANY mode of transportation (except for manual wheelchairs) on a public street can get you a DUI. My step-sister's grandpa (at 98) got a DUI in his electric wheelchair in Imperial, Nebraska.

This beings to mind something someone mentioned to me and maybe you can identify? They said it was a folding car and was invented by someone by last name of either Nelson or White in Florida back in the 1980s or so. Any idea what they are talking about? If it can fold I am sure it has to be small!

Funny to see SMART cars in So Cal as a ''cult thing'' in Europe we already know Smarts are not

Many diesels for sale with dead engine.

There are no Smart diesels in the U.S., only conventional gasoline models. It is widely believed by many analysts that the only reason the Smart car was ever introduced here was to help Daimler/Mercedes with their Corporate Average Fuel Economy figures. For every Smart car they sell they effectively get C.A.F.E. credits that allow another V8 sedan into the country.

Lately, however, the Smart car may not be as useful in that respect as hoped. They just don't sell much here. Last month Daimler sold 710 Smart cars in the U.S., which was their best month in at least 2 years and almost twice their normal monthly average. Given that we have had record fuel prices here during that entire period, and this summer's anticipated fuel prices are even higher, that's pathetic. :(

Hi Dave

Only reason I mentioned the diesel is that a larger % are sitting dead than the Gasoline powered. Gasoline cars have had their problems

If the idea was to lower C.A.F.E. numbers The diesels get better mileage than the Gas and you don't have to remove the engine to cfhange spark plugs.

When in the states I drive a 1984 Mercedes 300 diesel wagon... Good mileage,30-40, and always starts/runs It has already lived longer than any Smart and cost a very small fraction of one.

If the idea was to lower C.A.F.E. numbers The diesels get better mileage than the Gas and you don't have to remove the engine to cfhange spark plugs.

Not if they don't run! :D

Small European cars (with one notable exception, guess who!) have had a frequent history of durability issues in the U.S. (bear in mind, I'm a British car guy saying that). If we don't get something from a manufacturer that has a presence here, or not get a version of something they have, it's usually one of 3 things: emissions, safety, or durability. The first 2 have already been addressed by Daimler, so it likely leaves the third.

(There is possible 4th, performance, which may come into play here as well--but only from a marketing viewpoint. Cars here have to be up to the practical standard of using our interstates, even among cars used only within cities.)

Given what you describe as the European experience with these diesel cars, it was probably wise of Daimler to not further sully the Smart name here with them.