TOURISTS-MILEAGE AWARD PROGRAM

The current issue of our magazine has an article on Page 16 about a new award to recognize those of you who tour.

Unfortunately, we do not have the touring documents as of this moment to post on our website. Our apologies for any inconvenience. As soon as we get the correct information from the committee will post here and on our home page. Thanks for your understanding.

Bill,

I am not involved in this, but I would suggest that honesty is always the best policy. If you have mileage limits on your insurance, you should abide by those. I would think that an insurance company could subpoena any business records or could ask for odometer mileage at any time. If you tour more than the mileage that your insurance company has agreed to cover, you probably need to change your insurance coverage.

If you're going to go over your mileage limit, call your insurance company. If your mileage goes over the "limit" while on a club-sponsored event, or traveling to and from, they usually don't worry about it. Best to call to inform them beforehand, though. There's a certain member of my family who consistently goes over the "limit," (he put on 10,000 miles in less then 30 days with a 1930 Packard) but it's always because he's doing club-sponsored tours.

Did the program require us to register each car and it's mileage last November or December for this year's program?

Guest Jim_Edwards
Steve, just a thought for a change to the forms: there is no place on the forms where the make/model of the vehicle is requested. That seems a bit odd, since that's how 99% of us refer to our vehicles. I would expect that to be the first line under "Vehicle" on the forms.

3rd line under the "Vehicle" heading!

However, my question would be who is going to verify mileage? Seems there is a problem for at large members who may live miles and miles from any club event where someone could verify mileage.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Very good idea. I might make only the tiniest suggestion. 2000 miles in a '59 Cadillac is a whole lot easier than say 2000 miles in a Curved Dash Olds or a Red Bug. Maybe in a future incarnation a modifier can be included to adjust for age of the vehicle though that would certainly complicate things.

Jeff, "parts is parts" and so "mileage is mileage"! The goal of this program was to keep it as simple as possible. I will send along your suggestion to the committee but as you know that will not only complicate things but cause a certain amount of debate about what cars get the modifier, etc. Unless you want to chair and handle the records? :)

Gentlemen Start You Engines!

You can't drive a CD, a mutual fund, a stock portfolio, a real estate investment or your

legacy to your heirs. So, fire it up and enjoy it. Did you ever see a lottery winner who

didn't waste it? Yep it's rare, just like inherited car recipients enjoyment of the inherited vehicle. In addition it's good for the cars to be used, just in case your heirs want to drive them. Sign up for a AACA Tour and enjoy the fruits of YOUR labor.

Guest prgm_mgr
The Deadline for 2012 is March 1st according to the article in Antique Automobile.

Hi

I think this program is a great idea - gets cars out and driven!

I am wondering about the registration deadline - I didn't see anything in the promotional materials. Has this changed (I hope so!)

Thanks

Mark

"Wire Wheel", we've also done 9 or 10 Glidden Tours ourselves, what ran the miles up is a similar number of Sentimental Tours, Founder's tours and AACA Regional Tours plus a couple local local tours a month for nearly 40 years. ( I also snuck in 11 Great American Races)

Plus, because I'm no antique, my antique cars should be older than I am. Therefore I hope nobody locks me away for "show only" when I get old, many years from now.

Hopefully I'll last long enough to qualify a few cars for this award.

post-32318-143138867178_thumb.jpg

Good thought Paul. We have driven our 31 Coupe about 42,000 miles and our 74 Nova 26,000 and enjoyed every minute of it. I just checked the other day. Part of those miles in the 31 were on nine Glidden Tours.

Those are righteous numbers!

I put about 100k on my '68 Bug, driving it from 1997 to 2007. Most in one year was close to 10k.

EDIT: it was probably a combination of a little less than 100k and a little more than just those 10 (or possibly 11) years, actually, now that I read what I wrote...

I usually activated the '68 as my daily driver during the warm months--hence the big totals. I had a ball with it. Nothing like enjoying the old car hobby on a daily basis...

I put about 4,000 total on my "new" '70 Bug Convertible (the car that "replaced" the '68) thru 2011, and hope to surpass that this coming year.

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Sent in initial program paperwork for my '70 Bug yesterday!

With apologies to Bud Light: "Here we go!"

Badge and associated paperwork arrived in the mail a while ago, but today I did a test-fitting on the '70 Bug (which is presently off the road for some repairs). Can't wait to start piling up the miles...

post-34222-143139076762_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139076717_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139076742_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The MAP program is spreading! I was at the "Time Machines 2012" antique auto show & flea market in Guilford, CT (ref. TimeMach) yesterday (Sunday, July 22, 2012), and ran across this very beautiful 1941 (judging by his Connecticut YOM plate) Ford Pickup truck, which sported one of the new MAP badges! My son and I enjoyed chatting with the fellow who owns this very beutiful Ford, and we agreed that the MAP program was a great way to involve folks who really enjoy driving their old cars. I have to say, though, that when it comes to old cars to drive, his '41 Ford was positively "show perfect!"

post-34222-14313910704_thumb.jpg

I cropped down the overall photo to show some additional detail of the front plate, and the MAP badge which was attached off of one of the lower bolts securing the plate:

post-34222-143139107046_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve
additional explanation (see edit history)

• 8 months later...
Guest prgm_mgr

Hi all Just received my badge today and am wondering how people with cars from the late 50s are mounting them? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Mark