New barn find

32bizcoupe

After weeks of waiting I finally received delivery of my 1932 dodge DL coupe. The car was purchased in 1932 by a doctor in Indiana. In 1936 my great great grandfather bought the car. In his estate sale in 1944 after his death my other great great grandfather bought the car. Before he died he gave the car to my grandfather. My grandfather sold the car in about 1963 when he moved. The car sold again in 75 and sat in a barn until last winter. I found out about the car last June. Since that time, with the help of my grandfather I was able to find the car purchase it and have it delivered to California. I simply cannot believe that I own a car like this let alone the history behind it. I feel like I won the lottery! I have a ticket from march 21 1940 that my great great grandfather received in the dodge for not yielding at a stop sign! I have an original insurance policy for 1936-1944 for the car and more. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought a car like this would be in my family let alone find and own it! I look forward to many long hours fully restoring the car to original something my grandfather was very proud of.

I am unable to post pictures with my phone sorry.

The original front bumper is in the trunk. The only things I know are missing are a gas cap and a hood ornament. The gas tank was recently completely redone. I think that I will see if I can get her running. Anything I should do special before hooking up a battery? Besides the typical oil in the cylinders and cleaning of fuel and carberator?

32bizcoupe..... I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you hit the lottery! I felt the same way when I found the original owners that my father-in-law bought our car from thanks to this forum!! It makes the car that more special when you know the history from day 1!! What a great car you have & such a great story to go with it!! Congrats!!

Shannon

Anything I should do special before hooking up a battery? Besides the typical oil in the cylinders and cleaning of fuel and carberator?

Assuming that the engine DOES already turn over, my short list would include:

1. Clean & gap plugs

2. Clean plug wire connectors

3. Clean or replace distributor components; gap points

4. Change oil

5. Check what's going on in the radiator; look for leaks; maybe flush cooling system.

6. Start her up with the tailpipe pointed out the door. (You never know who's been living in the exhaust system!) ;)

Are distributor parts available if needed? 30 w oil?

Yes, since it's a Delco Remy distributor, these parts show up on eBay fairly frequently often listed under many other car brands. There's a fellow selling tuneup sets of a cap, rotor, points, and condenser for around $65. Or look for deals on separate components. (Recently I found 6 unopened sets of points for under $20!)

Here are some part numbers:

Cap = Delco 1838100; Standard DR-402

Points = Delco 1855520 or D-109

Condenser = D203 or DR-22

Rotor = D-414 (I think NAPA ECH RR74 may fit, too)

I use 30W non-detergent oil in my never-rebuilt DL engines.

I think I need a new coil. Getting power ( with test light) on both sides of coil but nothing going to cap. I know of a guy who is a generator wizard, I'll try him tomorrow. If no rebuild is available is there another option? Thanks

I have heard of some guys replacing the coil with a new one and running a remote switch. That could probably be a temporary fix until you find the correct replacement. Not sure if the '32 has the same coil as the '31. Does yours look similar to this? I know the face will be different. In fact, doesn't yours have no face? Does your coil attach to the rear of the dash?

post-37352-143138759348_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think I need a new coil.

If you REALLY want to stay all original, you're looking at really big bucks. In fact, here's one running right now on eBay.:eek: 1932 Plymouth Chrysler Dodge Desoto COIL NOS Delco | eBay

Here's another source: Vintage Auto Parts, Inc.

Both of my32 DL6s had been converted to universal 6V coils before I bought them. This entailed someone mounting a plain coil on the firewall under the dash, and installing a plain ignition switch on the dash using the original hole.

I have one of the original coils as a keepsake, but the replacements work great and are about $250 cheaper! :)

post-61720-143138759904_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138759949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

Wow! I challenge anyone to find a car built in 1932 that is not beautiful!

I totally agree with you, Dave...but I'm biased, of course!

Here's a snippet from a description of 32 DBs in a book John Keiser sent me awhile back that helps explain why.

...and why only approximately 26,000 DBs of all styles were produced that year.

post-61720-143138771557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

Guest Cadillac Country Club

Great story, so glad you got the car back to where it belongs! Like others have said I think EBay will be your friend when it comes to finding parts.

• 2 years later...

Yes I've been plugging away at the old car. Learning more than doing! I had all of the wheel seals and master sent out and stainless steel sleeved. New shoes and rotors turned. Backing plates powder coated. Grill painted and surround rechromed. Radiator flushed and painted.

post-80786-143142529995_thumb.jpg

Headlights and bar re-chromed. Wheels stripped, stained and painted. I have taken a different approach than most. I did not want a car that would be in parts for ever. I am trying to do a some of the restoration and then put the car back together.

post-80786-143142530001_thumb.jpg

post-80786-143142530005_thumb.jpg

post-80786-14314253001_thumb.jpg

I was able to drive the car out of the garage and back and forth a little. The brakes stop but still need some fine tuning as the peddle is not hard.

post-80786-143142530014_thumb.jpg

post-80786-143142530018_thumb.jpg

Lots of work ahead but always encouraging to let the sun shine on the car. All I need now is time and money:)

Yes I've been plugging away at the old car. Learning more than doing! I had all of the wheel seals and master sent out and stainless steel sleeved. New shoes and rotors turned. Backing plates powder coated. Grill painted and surround rechromed. Radiator flushed and painted.

[ATTACH]249439[/ATTACH]

Headlights and bar re-chromed. Wheels stripped, stained and painted. I have taken a different approach than most. I did not want a car that would be in parts for ever. I am trying to do a some of the restoration and then put the car back together.

[ATTACH]249440[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]249441[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]249442[/ATTACH]

I was able to drive the car out of the garage and back and forth a little. The brakes stop but still need some fine tuning as the peddle is not hard.

[ATTACH]249443[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]249444[/ATTACH]

Lots of work ahead but always encouraging to let the sun shine on the car. All I need now is time and money:)

Thats exactley the same thing I need time and money,,,,,,hoping to get mine out in the sun this year,34 Dodge 4 door, if you hear of one of these ,( yours ) for sale let me know, really like that model, ....thanks for sharing the photos, I look forward to more as you go....